Badge Number: N/A
Rank & Name: Grace Steel - Detective

Officer/Deputy 3
Badge Number: N/A
Rank & Name: Samuele Colonna - Detective
Time & Date of Incident(s): 18th of January, 2022 - Unknown Time
Charge(s) Being Appealed: GM15 - Obstruction of Justice
Narrative:

On the 18th of January 2022 I noticed a group of individuals on bikes parked on the pier and decided to speak with them in a friendly manner as I always do. I decided to situate myself between the two of them and we began a very lighthearted conversation. Unannounced, a squad of six detectives composed of Joseph Couch, Grace Steel, Jason Steel, and Samuele Colonna and two others pulled up and drew heavy weaponry at the group including myself.

A female (Female A) was removed from her bike and detained on the grounds of what they then at the time described as a DB case file and proceeded to search her. I, understandably, did not get involved and refrained from speaking or disrupting the scene and simply acted as an observer to the commotion. Female A was told she would be placed under arrest, and they then proceeded to transport her away from the scene. Our small group, a bit shocked, began to discuss what had happened but in short time went back to what we were doing prior.

A few moments later, Jason Steel, Grace Steel, and Samuele Colonna came back again with heavy weapons drawn and detained another female (Female B) again on grounds of a DB case file. Female B requested the badge numbers of all officer’s present and both Jason Steel and [Firstname] Colona released this information, however, Grace Steel did not. A bit put off by this, I proceeded to explain in a non disruptive way how she was required to produce her badge number. At no point had I stepped between them and Female B as she was being arrested and never prevented Female B’s detainment.

Jason Steel had ordered me to back away from where I had been standing and, while no scene management was in place, I proceeded to obey the order and move away from the location. As I was walking away and about to cross a set of concrete barriers located on the pier, Jason Steel loudly called upon me to stop walking and stated I was under arrest for obstruction of justice.

A bit taken aback as to why I was now being detained, I questioned him about Grace Steels refusal to release a badge number to which he stated that it was not something mandated by the penal code. Understandably, I was shocked to hear this response and stated firmly that it was obviously not in the penal code but instead LSPD policy. They agreed that indeed it was LSPD policy but that if I had a problem with the badge number not being released, I could file an IA report. At the time of this appeal being placed, the IA report is still pending.

I was transported to Mission Row and was left unattended for quite some time. Most officers even seemed confused as to why I was locked inside the cells to begin with, including a few of the initial detectives on the scene. After some time, I was finally booked and served a 30-day sentence for obstruction of justice.

I seek to appeal this charge as I believe I am not guilty of committing the aforementioned offense. My reputation in the state alongside my otherwise clean record will show that I am an above-board citizen who would not interfere in the administration of justice and prove I only serve to better my community.

I, Chad Rapkov, hereby affirm that all information provided above is true and correct to the best of my knowledge, and understand that knowingly providing false information could result in additional charges and/or fines. ((I affirm that all information submitted has been obtained via In-Character means.))
Last edited by Colt Daniels on Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yuki Nakamura
ECRP Forum Name:

DOC Awards

SASG Awards

LSEMS Awards

Re: Chad Rapkov v. Police Department | Docket #

Post by Yuki Nakamura »

San Andreas Judicial Branch

Chad Rapkov v. Police Department | Docket #
"HERE FOR YOU | SAFE FOR YOU"

• Good evening,

I am Attorney Yuki Nakamura and I will be offering my counsel to the appellant in this case. If there are no obstructions for this I will be liasoning with my client shortly and beginning preparations for the court.

Attorney Yuki Nakamura
    (909) 596-2948 — [email protected]
Judith Mason
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name: Judge Judy

SAJB Awards

Re: State of San Andreas v. Chad Rapkov

Post by Judith Mason »

Administrative Update

• To whom is may concern,

The San Andreas Judicial Branch has just undergone a major change to the court system and, as such, your case is being referred down to the Superior Court of San Andreas under the title State of San Andreas v. Chad Rapkov.

At this time, no action is required of you. Cases will still be activated in the same manner as they have been activated before and you will be notified when a response is required of you. More detailed information will be available in the coming hours in a post in the 'SAJB - Public Releases' section of this website.

We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Respectfully,

Associate Justice
    (909) 257-9183 — [email protected]

Chief Justice
    (909) 402-9713 — [email protected]
Sai Modi
ECRP Forum Name:

DOC Awards

LSPD Awards for Service

SAJB Awards

Post by Sai Modi »

• Your Honor,

My name is Sai Modi and I will act as counsel on behalf of the State of San Andreas in this case. I am familiarizing myself with the case and will be reaching out to the the relevant parties to gather more information.

Respectfully,

Sai Modi
Prosecuting Attorney
Prosecution Divison

364-9436
► Show Spoiler
Colt Daniels
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name: Colt

SAJB Awards

LSSD Awards

Re: #22-CM-0005, State of San Andreas v. Chad Rapkov

Post by Colt Daniels »

• Parties,

As we now have representation appointed for both the prosecution and defense, I will be opening this case under docket number #22-CM-0005. Immediately following this message, I will be ordering discovery from the prosecution, requiring that all evidence be submitted within 7 days. Once evidence has been submitted to the Court, the defense may begin submitting motions in response.

Respectfully,
    Chief Justice
Colt Daniels
Judicial Branch

SAJB Awards

LSSD Awards

Post by Colt Daniels »

#22-CM-0005
Presiding Judge: Colt Daniels

ORDER FOR DISCOVERY

IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF SAN ANDREAS

State of San Andreas v. Chad Rapkov
#22-CM-0005

A court order was entered in the above case on 22 March, 2022.

The case of the State of San Andreas v. Chad Rapkov, #22-CM-0005 is hereby opened and acknowledged by the Court.

The prosecution is hereby ordered to provide all evidence collected from the arresting Law Enforcement Agency and submit it to the Court via Motion for Discovery within seven days. If additional time is needed, the prosecution can file a Motion for Continuance.

Once evidence has been submitted to the official docket the defense can begin filing motions.

Chief Justice

Sai Modi
ECRP Forum Name:

DOC Awards

LSPD Awards for Service

SAJB Awards

Post by Sai Modi »

Motion for Discovery
Motion for Discovery

Honorable Colt Daniels,

• We the Prosecution in the case below are presenting our discovery to the court.
    Assigned Court Case Number: #22-CM-0005
    Requesting Party: N/A
    Party Members: Sai Modi on behalf of the state of San Andreas
    Exhibit #1: LSPD Arrest and Seizure Public Media Relations Report
    Type of Discovery: Document
    Spoiler
    All Information from the Discovery

Sincerely,

Sai Modi
Prosecuting Attorney
► Show Spoiler
Sai Modi
ECRP Forum Name:

DOC Awards

LSPD Awards for Service

SAJB Awards

Post by Sai Modi »

Motion for Discovery
Motion for Discovery

Honorable Colt Daniels,

• We the Prosecution in the case below are presenting our discovery to the court.
    Requesting Party: N/A
    Party Members: Sai Modi on behalf of the State of San Andreas
    Exhibit #1: LSPD, Witness statement and bodycam from the commanding officer on the scene.
    Type of Discovery: Deposition & Bodycam
    Spoiler
    All Information from the Discovery
    • Jason Steel wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:20 am Image
      • Re: #22-CM-0005, State of San Andreas v. Chad Rapkov

Attorney Modi,

Below you will find my statement in regards to the incidents that took place on the day of 18th of January 2022, to the best of my recollection.

The person being arrested requested a badge number, which she was provided, by myself, 6520. She then rephrased her request and instead asked every single officer on scene for their badge number.

Detective Steel did not provide her with her badge number immediately, which caused the person being arrested to not comply when asked to move to the cruiser. At this point the person being arrested was making a conscious decision to delay her arrest.

Detective Steel grabbed the suspect by her cuffs and started pulling on them, while verbally informing her that she will receive the badge number at a later time. Detective Colonna also reassured the suspect that the badge numbers she has already received are enough for any internal affairs complaints.

I then grabbed ahold of the person being arrested to assist with putting her in the car forcefully, and at that point, Mr. Rapkov decided to walk up behind me, and state "Grace, you gotta give your badge number to her". It should be noted that every other individual involved stayed put, and Mr. Rapkov was the only one to walk up to the person resisting arrest.

Mr. Rapkov then placed himself in between Detective Steel and the suspect whom was resisting arrest, while making his demand again: "You gotta give your badge number to her, she requested it.", Detective Steel responded stating that she will give it later.

Mr. Rapkov was then asked to get away by myself, which he did, slowly, while continuing to argue the point that "she needs to give it when requested.", he then got back around behind me, and towards the person being subject to arrest, raising his voice and shouting that "you have to give it when its requested"; "she has to give her fucking badge number"; "she has to give her fucking badge number".

It should be noted that at this point, with myself being unable to help push the suspect into the vehicle because of Mr. Rapkov, and with Detective Steel carrying a bag and trying to push the suspect inside, the arrestee once again stopped going along, and asked for the name and badge number, a direct result of me not being able to assist with the arrest.

With the arrest delayed for a good amount of time now by the interference caused by Mr. Rapkov, I told him that he is now under arrest. It should be noted that the person whose arrest was delayed by Mr. Rapkov's actions was in possession of an assault rifle, a pistol, and body armor.

Bodycamera Footage
        (( Proof of RP ))

• Very Respectfully,
        Police Captain II Jason Steel
        Commanding Officer, Gang and Narcotics Division
        Detective Bureau Command, Los Santos Police Department

Sincerely,

Sai Modi
Prosecuting Attorney
► Show Spoiler
Sai Modi
ECRP Forum Name:

DOC Awards

LSPD Awards for Service

SAJB Awards

Post by Sai Modi »

Motion for Summary Judgment
Motion for Summary Judgment

Honorable Colt Daniels,

• We the Prosecution in the case below are requesting a summary judgment.
    Requesting Party: Prosecution
    Party Members: Sai Modi on behalf of the state of San Andreas
    Reasoning: We believe that after submitting the evidence that we have already submitted, which are the public arrest report pertaining to the situation as well as bodycam respectively, the arrests made and charges set were valid and lawful.
    Detailed explanation:
    For Reference, I would like to start off by quoting the GM-14 - Obstruction of Justice charge from the penal code:
    If any person interferes, delays, obstructs, lies or deliberately conceals information from law enforcement officers or any other government official that is conducting a lawful investigation and/or questioning then they are to be regarded as obstructing justice.
    From the detailed Gang And Narcotics Arrest and Seizure report that was publicly shown in the government website pertaining to the incident, the individual was protesting the arrest, as well as actively interfering with the arrest that was being conducted by standing between the on-duty peace officers, which includes shouting and ultimately delaying the arrest of a suspect who was armed and dangerous.

And I quote the report:
    The scene of the arrest at the Del Perro Pier; in grey, Amber Wellington, found in possession of two firearms, one being an automatic assault rifle and body armor, and to her left, protesting the arrest, in the similar attire, Chad Rapkov. Chad Rapkov was later arrested for Obstruction of Justice for their belligerent behavior after joining two unidentified individuals to protest the arrest, going to the extent of shouting and standing between the arresting Detective and the suspect, effectively disallowing the detainment and arresting of the suspect who was armed and dangerous.
    Going back to the witness statement of the Arresting officer Captain Jason Steel, the individual placed himself between the suspect who was resisting arrest and Detective Steel, shouting demands at both officers, he then continued to circle around Captain Steel towards the uncompliant suspect.
    Mr. Rapkov then placed himself in between Detective Steel and the suspect whom was resisting arrest, while making his demand again: "You gotta give your badge number to her, she requested it.", Detective Steel responded stating that she will give it later.

Mr. Rapkov was then asked to get away by myself, which he did, slowly, while continuing to argue the point that "she needs to give it when requested.", he then got back around behind me, and towards the person being subject to arrest, raising his voice and shouting that "you have to give it when its requested"; "she has to give her fucking badge number"; "she has to give her fucking badge number".

It should be noted that at this point, with myself being unable to help push the suspect into the vehicle because of Mr. Rapkov, and with Detective Steel carrying a bag and trying to push the suspect inside, the arrestee once again stopped going along, and asked for the name and badge number, a direct result of me not being able to assist with the arrest.

With the arrest delayed for a good amount of time now by the interference caused by Mr. Rapkov, I told him that he is now under arrest. It should be noted that the person whose arrest was delayed by Mr. Rapkov's actions was in possession of an assault rifle, a pistol, and body armor.
    We would like to conclude with the points that the interference and delaying of the arrest caused by Mr. Rapkov are undisputed as we can clearly see from multiple pieces of evidence submitted to the court.
    Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Sai Modi
Prosecuting Attorney
► Show Spoiler
Yuki Nakamura
ECRP Forum Name:

DOC Awards

SASG Awards

LSEMS Awards

Post by Yuki Nakamura »

Motion to Compel Discovery
Motion to Compel Discovery

Honorable : Colt Daniels
  • We the defendant in the case below are requesting the disclosure of the following material by opposing counsel, please find a detailed reason as to our request below.
    [State of San Andreas] vs. [Chad Rapkov]
    Requesting Party: Defence
    Party Members: Chad Rapkov & Yuki Nakamura
    Discovery from: Los Santos Police Department

Type of Discovery: Document Request
    • A request for the arrest report of Mr Chad Rapkov to get a better understanding of the reasoning behind his arrest.
    Detailed reasoning: [Provide a detail explanation as to the relevance of the discovery request]
    • A request for the arrest report of Mr Chad Rapkov to get a better understanding of the reasoning behind his arrest and to get a detail account of his arrest at the time.

Discovery from: Los Santos Police Department

Type of Discovery: Document Request
    • A request for Mrs Steels account of events.
    Detailed reasoning: [Provide a detail explanation as to the relevance of the discovery request]
    • A request for the other officer who was present at the scene. We do have bodycam, however it's important to get an idea of the thought process of the law enforcement officers had when making the arrest.

Thank you for your consideration.
Sincerely
Attorney Yuki Nakamura
(909) 596-2948 — [email protected]
Sai Modi
ECRP Forum Name:

DOC Awards

LSPD Awards for Service

SAJB Awards

Post by Sai Modi »

• Superior Court of San Andreas,

After consulting with the LSPD, it turns out that this event was before the mandatory arrest report paperwork, thus there is no actual arrest report. An equivalent of the arrest report, an arrest and seizure report that is publicly available through the LSPD's media relation division is submitted into evidence as it showcasing the events of this case in great detail, also including information about the defendant, Chad Rapkov.

As for the witness statement from Captain Jason Steel, I have submitted the written deposition that Captain Steel has forwarded to me. We do not believe that is is necessary to get another officer's witness statement as Captain Jason Steel is 1. The commanding officer on the scene, 2. the charging officer who charged the defendant with said charge.

Respectfully,

Sai Modi
Prosecuting Attorney
Prosecution Divison

364-9436
► Show Spoiler
Colt Daniels
Judicial Branch

SAJB Awards

LSSD Awards

Post by Colt Daniels »

• Counselors,

In terms of the arrest report, like Counselor Modi has stated, this situation occurred before arrest reports were mandatory therefore one was not filed and cannot be discovered. As for the witness statement from Detective Steel, since the implementation of the three court system it is not required for law enforcement officers to give witness statements and will not be ordered by the court. Furthermore I believe the statement given from Captain Jason Steel as well as the bodycam footage of the situation gives a clear and concise picture of the events that took place on that scene.

As per the Motion for Summary Judgement from the prosecution I will be moving to have a hearing. Please use this scheduling tool, once filled out by both parties I will schedule the hearing.

Respectfully,
    Chief Justice
Colt Daniels
Judicial Branch

SAJB Awards

LSSD Awards

Post by Colt Daniels »

Form 3.0.5 - Issuance of Verdict

ISSUANCE OF VERDICT - 22-CM-0005

IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF SAN ANDREAS

22-CM-0005

CHARGES BEING DISPUTED:
GM14 - Obstruction of Justice

A verdict was entered in the above case on the 27th day of March, 2022.

• The case of 22-CM-0005 - State of San Andreas v. Chad Rapkov has hereby been resolved.

During a motions hearing a Motion for Summary Judgement filed by the prosecution was granted. Due to bodycam footage in this case a Motion for Summary Judgement asks the court for a judgment on the merits of the case before the trial. It is properly made where there is no dispute about the facts and only a question of law needs to be decided.

This verdict rules that Chap Rapkov did in fact interfere and delay the investigation due to his behavior and outbursts on the scene. His actions caused Captain Jason Steel to stop assisting Detective Grace Steel with placing the suspect in the cruiser and remove Chad Rapkov from the immediate area then arrest him.

During the motions hearing the prosecution raised an additional charge against the defendant Chad Rapkov of Perjury due to his statements made on his original charge appeal. Due to the bodycam footage it showed that Chad Rapkov did not lie and the charge was found not valid.

Chad Rapkov will have the charge of GM14 maintained on his record and the charge of GF24 - Perjury will not be added. This case is now closed.

• CHARGES BEING DISPUTED:
      GM14 - Obstruction of Justice [GUILTY]
    • ADDITIONAL CHARGES:
      GF24 - Perjury [NOT GUILTY]

Chief Justice

Return to “SAJB - Archived Criminal Cases”