[San Andreas Judicial Branch] January Newsletter

Post by Colt Daniels »

www.sajb.sagov.us
San Andreas Judicial Branch

Month of January Newsletter
"HERE FOR YOU | SAFE FOR YOU"

Opening Statement

• Chief Justice Colt Daniels
    I would like to introduce our monthly newsletter, this is something that has been in the works for some time now and we are finally ready to bring it to the public. This is a tool we are looking to use as a window of transparency between the public and the Judicial Branch. This will be used to give monthly updates to the public of how the month has gone, a spotlight to showcase the government officials we have employed at the branch, an area to show what cases have concluded during the month, information on promotions that have happened inside the branch, a story of something that has happened during the month, and a statement to wrap it all up. So without further ado, The San Andreas Judicial Branch newsletter for the month of January.

January has been a huge month for the San Andreas Judicial Branch, we have seen a large increase in interest from the public of what the branch can do for many individuals, not only on the employment side but also with the Court of Appeals. In the month of January we have started our recruitment drive back stronger than ever before, we have had our first two public trials, and I have been appointed as the Chief Justice by the San Andreas Board of Commissioners. Along with my appointment, I have made Judith Mason my Associate Justice to assist in the day to day operations of the branch. We are excited for what the future holds and are grateful for the amount of support we have from members of the public.
Judicial Spotlight

• Associate Justice Judith Mason
    Citizens of San Andreas,

Hello everyone! My name is Judith Mason, I’m an Associate Justice in the San Andreas Judicial Branch, and it’s my pleasure to tell you a bit about myself and the work I’ve done with the branch thus far!

Hired in mid-June of last year, I’m coming up on 8 months with the branch and during that time I’ve had the pleasure of being involved in almost every facet of the services from training and licensing, to public outreach and representation of clients.

The first big thing that I developed for the branch, with the help of my former colleagues Aurora James and Hank Holt, was the process of Contract Authenticity - a service that works with clients to craft legal contracts for any subject you can think of from property sales to internal business agreements. Using this service is just another way for you to protect yourself from any type of malicious business deal and to help prevent and discourage the scamming of citizens in San Andreas.

In addition to this, I also created the guidelines for Marriage and Civil Partnerships within the state. If you are looking to get married and have that marriage be officially recognized by the State of San Andreas, please make your way to the Office of Marriage and Civil Partnerships. There, you will file for and receive a Marriage License, which will grant your officiant the power to officially pronounce that you and your spouse are married. After your ceremony, we will present you with a lovely certificate to honor the relationship that the two of you have together.

More recently, it’s been my absolute honor to represent Mr. Kopi Crozen during his appeal trial, in what was the first trial that was held in the State of San Andreas that was open to the general public. I first spoke to Mr. Crozen about his case very shortly after I was hired - in fact, this was the first case that I had ever taken on as an attorney in the Judicial Branch and I’m incredibly glad that I was able to see it through to the end. A variety of circumstances had required us to keep pushing back the trial again and again, but finally after the appointment of then Appellate Judge Colt Daniels, we were able to schedule the necessary hearings and, ultimately, the trial in order to give Mr. Crozen the justice that he deserved.

Immediately following the trial, in which I had successfully argued that my client be found not guilty on eight separate charges, now Chief Justice Colt Daniels swore me in as the newest Associate Justice of the San Andreas Judicial Branch and my five months of court clerkship had finally come to an end.

In the past several weeks, my colleagues and I have been working tirelessly to update some of the old policies left over by the previous administration and I can proudly say that so much has changed for the better since the first announcement of the Judicial Branch last February. We have a lot in store for JB and I can only hope that you all are as excited about things to come as I am.

Thank you.
Concluded Cases
  • Joseph Dredd v. Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    • Defendant found guilty of WF03.
    Kopi Crozen v. Los Santos Police Department
    • Defendant found not guilty of GM15, SF04, WM04, WM05, WF03, DF04, DM01, and GF11.
    Harley Pavlovich v. Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    • Defendant found guilty of DM02
    • Defendant found not guilty of DF01.
    Charlie Bankshot v. Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    • Defendant found guilty of VF01.
Judicial Branch Promotions
  • Appellate JudgeChief Justice
    • Colt Daniels
    Court ClerkAssociate Justice
    • Judith Mason
    Court ClerkAppellate Judge
    • Roy Duke-Judge
    Attorney at LawDirector
    • Oliver Jenkins
    Attorney at LawSenior Attorney
    • Hugh R. Allgood
    CivilianLaw Student
    • Dakota Macaw
    • Matt Tezla
    • Jimmy Hammels
    • Darcy Lafleur
Story of the Month
  • Kopi Crozen v. Los Santos Police Department finally went to trial on the 27th of January, 2022. During the trial, many good points were brought about in front of the judge from both the defense and the prosecution. Kopi Crozen, who was present at the trial, was represented by then Court Clerk Judith Mason. The Los Santos Police Department, which did not have a representative present, was represented by Attorney Sai Modi, who took over for Attorney Rasheed Briggs prior to the trial taking place. During the trial the prosecution called Ms. Remmi Corsetti to the witness stand and questioned her about her relationship with Mr. Crozen and the events that happened on the 23rd of June, 2021. Court Clerk Mason had the chance to cross examine the witness, which she did. Court Clerk Mason also brought many pieces of evidence submitted during the discovery period to the stand about Mr. Crozen's diagnoses from before and after the incident. Once both sides gave their closing arguments Chief Justice Colt Daniels, the presiding judge on this case, called for a recess where he went to his chambers and deliberated on the verdict with the judges clerk, then Court Clerk Roy Duke-Judge. Once deliberations concluded Chief Justice Colt Daniels returned to the stand to announce the verdict. Kopi Crozen was found not guilty on all counts, the charges were expunged from his record and he was paid the amount of $50,350 for all fines and accompanying jail time.

A statement from Mr. Kopi Crozen following the trial:
    After several long grueling months of uncertainty, sleepless nights, and countless hours of wondering "what if" it has all come to an end. I am no longer a felon in the eyes of the law. Anyone who watched the trial or any coverage of it knows that I was an emotional mess by the end of it. Hearing Judge Daniels read "Not Guilty" as he went down the list of charges made everything worth it. It made the tireless hours Judith Mason spent going over my case worth it. It made all those moments I thought what's even the point of fighting anymore worth it. To the many potential clients you future lawyers may have who say they want to give up that the process takes too long, tell them and use me as an example IT IS WORTH IT!

I will forever be grateful to every member of JB even those who actively fought against my case and attempted to prove me guilty. The service you have begun to provide for the citizens of Los Santos is one we have desperately needed for ages. I have had several people come up to me and tell me "Your case restored my faith in the justice system of the city". PD and SD no longer can be judge, jury, and executioner and act as if they have a final say in decisions that could truly destroy the lives of individuals such as myself. The balance you all bring to this city is vital for this great city moving forward.

Again I would like to thank my lawyer Judith Mason who left no stone unturned, who examined every angle with the eyes of a hawk, and when presented my case did it with a level of passion, intensity, and confidence I had never seen from her. She went from someone most jokingly call Grandma Judy to Lawyer Mason flipping her demeanor from a kind-hearted soft-spoken person most see as a gentle grandmotherly figure. To one of intensity and professionalism, I think very few could deny that when it comes to trial, Judith is one who most will fear down the road.

Again, I extend my eternal thanks to all of those in JB. The burden that has been lifted from my shoulders cannot be expressed in words. To any future clients you may have you can tell them "Trust the process" it might not always be easy and it might not always be done swiftly, but do know that if you are innocent, your day in court will come and your lawyer will do absolutely everything in their power to make things right. I will forever sing the praises of JB and all that they have done for me, and look forward to the further change you all bring to the city. I will end this statement by once again simply saying "Thank you"
Closing Statement
  • As the San Andreas Judicial Branch fast approaches one year on February 15th we reflect on how far it has come since its beginnings. The Judicial Branch has drastically changed from the original vision set in place but that is not a bad thing. Most of the changes come after long discussions of how we can more effectively help and assist the citizens of our great state and we will continue to strive in that direction as we move forward. Everyday we have judicial officials that are at the courthouse or in the field working towards a better justice system so we can assure our community has a avenue to seek justice no matter their race, religion, sexual orientation, or background and we will stop at nothing, to assure it stays that way. Until next month, stay safe and stay health.
Last edited by Judith Mason on Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Minor grammer changes

Return to “SAJB - Public Releases”