Los Santos Police Department

Public Inquiries
Media Relations Division

Contact Information
Your Name: Hugh R. Allgood
Your Phone Number: 235-6076
Your Position in Your Institution (if applicable): Attorney-at Law
Your Email Address: [email protected]
Date / Time of Request ((UTC via /time)): 31/JAN/2022 00:18 (E.g. 16/SEP/19 13:00)
Request Information
Detailed information of your request:

I am an attorney with the San Andreas Judicial Branch, and I have an inquiry regarding traffic stops. I was just involved in a hearing a few hours ago, and was told by the Court Clerk the Sheriff's Department recently changed their policy regarding when a Deputy can make a traffic stop. I was told prior to this change, there was no guidance on when a traffic stop could be conducted, and essentially Deputies were free to stop someone just because they desired to do so. Can you provide me with information from the PD on how/why a traffic stop can be conducted by Officers of the PD?

I represented a client who was disputing the reason for the traffic stop which ultimately led to my client evading from a Deputy. However, I was informed that due to there being no law in effect, or no policy in effect, law enforcement was essentially able to stop people for any reason, including without cause.

I am requesting any information you can provide as it regards the requirements for PD to conduct traffic stops.
Tim Havlicek
Retired Captain I
ECRP Forum Name: kris giggs

LSEMS Awards

LSPD Awards for Service

Re: Public Inquiry [SAJB]

Post by Tim Havlicek »

Media Relations Division
"TO PROTECT AND SERVE"

• Dear @Hugh Allgood,

I hope you are doing well first and foremost.

Police Officers of the Los Santos Police Department conduct stops with due cause (probable cause) and/or sufficient evidence. For an Officer of the Los Santos Police Department to conduct any stop at any point in time, there must be probable cause for any kind of detainment such as a traffic stop - probable cause can be defined as, but is not limited to: a crime being committed, a suspect evading arrest, a civilian being wanted and/or having warrants. If you have further questions or require clarification you may forward your questions within the next 24 hours, thank you for your understanding.

• Sincerely,
    Lieutenant Tim Havlicek
    Commanding Officer, Media Relations Division
Image POLICE LIEUTENANT I Tim Havlicek
Commanding Officer, Media Relations Division
Detective Supervisor, Gang and Narcotics Division
Los Santos Police Department — "To Protect and to Serve"

Return to “Public Inquiries - Archive”