Monthly Bulletin 2110

The Newsroom contains all press releases of the Los Santos Police Department.
LSPD Media Relations
ECRP Forum Name:

Monthly Bulletin 2110

Post by LSPD Media Relations »

WWW.LSPD.SAGOV.US
Los Santos Police Department
Press Release
Tuesday, November 2nd, 2021
"TO PROTECT AND SERVE"

Monthly Bulletin 2110
- -
  • -
DEPARTURE OF DEPUTY CHIEF OF POLICE SCOTT DUNBAR

Assistant Chief of Police Elena Blake wrote:It is not an uncommon occurrence to witness departures from a law enforcement agency, and the Los Santos Police Department is not an exception to this, not in the past and not in current times.

Deputy Chief Scott Dunbar announced his intention to resign from his position with the Los Santos Police Department on the 9th of October. Deputy Chief Dunbar had formerly held the title of Chief of Special Operations, administering the Special Operations Bureau.

Deputy Chief Dunbar is widely known among the personnel of the Los Santos Police Department and its Special Operations Bureau for his reforms and initiatives within the aforementioned bureau, such as but not limited to the restructuring of our Special Weapons and Tactics Division into what is known as the Metropolitan Division today.

With Deputy Chief Dunbar at the helm, the Los Santos Police Department's Special Operations Bureau transformed into a beacon of progress and professionalism. It is difficult, if not impossible, to state that the Special Operations Bureau is not in a better shape than it ever has been prior to Deputy Chief Dunbar's appointment. That said, there is still ample work to be done, and it is saddening that Deputy Chief Dunbar will not be around to do it.

On behalf of the Los Santos Police Department, I would like to thank Deputy Chief Dunbar for his continued efforts and dedication towards the Los Santos Police Department and wish him the best of luck with his future endeavors.
  • -

-
  • Deputy Chief of Police Scott Dunbar first joined the Los Santos Police Department in mid-April of 2019 before progressing to the rank of Police Officer I in early May the same year after completing his Field Training Program. During his time as a Police Officer, Scott earned the prestigious Officer of the Month award for the month of June 2019 - adding a ribbon for universal commitment and excellence to his tally. The continuous effort he had shown allowed him to become a Senior Lead Officer - enrolling into the Supervisor Training Program in early August 2019 before becoming a fully-fledged Police Supervisor in November of the same year. Scott was the Commanding Officer of the Basic Training Division, as well as a Commanding Officer of the then Rockford Precinct as a Police Sergeant, being reassigned with every promotion as his rank responsibilities continued to change.

From January to June of 2020, Scott continued to excel among his peers and consistently provided an above-average level of performance which earned him a number of promotions - later earning his mettle as a Command Officer, from Police Sergeant II to Police Lieutenant in January, from Police Lieutenant to Police Captain in April, and from Police Captain to Police Commander in late June - solidifying him as a Staff Officer of the Los Santos Police Department. He retained the position of Director of the Special Operations Bureau before being promoted from Police Commander to Deputy Chief of Police in late December of 2020.

With everything Scott did, he did it with the utmost dedication. We would like to thank Deputy Chief Dunbar for their loyal and honorable service to the Los Santos Police Department and their continued effort throughout. We wish him the best of luck as he opens a new chapter of life.

OFFICER OF THE MONTH

-
    Each month, one officer is selected by our Police Supervisors to receive this most prestigious award. This award is an overall congratulation for universal commitment, achievement, and excellence throughout the department. An officer who achieves this award is an exemplary member of the department who should be looked up to as an inspiration and role-model.
    -

Police Officer III Ed Johnston
    Police Officer III Ed Johnston joined the Los Santos Police Department in December of 2020. Before Officer Johnston became part of the Los Santos Police Department, he had a successful career in the Los Santos Emergency Medical Services, where a lot of civilians in the state still know him from. Officer Johnston was promoted to Police Officer I in mid-February after graduating from his Academy and completing his Field Training Program in quick succession. Officer Johnston was upgraded to Police Officer II late March following a month of dedication and staggering performance where he showed everything a capable Police Officer should. Officer Johnston is a well-known figure within the Mission Row Patrol Division due to his remarkable attitude. Officer Johnston, a Field Training Officer, and Air Support Division Pilot earned his mettle as the Officer of the Month for the month of September.

Excelling among his peers, Officer Johnston amassed over 122 shift hours in four weeks which puts him at an average of 30.5 hours per week. Officer Johnston maintained his fieldwork with impressive office work managing to bring his total paperwork count to 205 pieces of optional and non-optional paperwork, including three Field Training Program sessions. We would all like to congratulate Officer Johnston on a fantastic month and hope to see him progress further, congratulations Ed! Officer Ed Johnston will be rewarded with a salary of $8,000.00 for the duration of this month.

EMPLOYEE ADJUSTMENTS

• Image Police Lieutenant II ► Image Police Captain I
    • Elizabeth Sanchez
    Image Police Lieutenant IImage Police Lieutenant II
    • Steve Smyth
    Image Police Sergeant II ► Image Police Lieutenant I
    • Tim Havlicek
    Image Police Sergeant I ► Image Police Sergeant II
    • Jessica Nash

-REINSTATEMENTS AND TRANSFERS
    -
    This month we welcomed some familiar faces back to the Los Santos Police Department. Most were retired Officers who reinstated, most notably Police Sergeant I Miles Logan.

Image Police Detective I
    • Ryan Veska

Image Police Officer III
    • Miles Logan
    • Lance Sage
    Image Police Officer II
    • Dai Chaos
    • Glen Davis
    • Vince Lawson
    Police Cadet
    • Michael Blaise
    • Jordan Foran
    • Benny Fox
    • Scott Jenkins
    • Mason Lee
    -
    Image Police Officer II ► Image Police Officer III
    • Ed Johnston
    Image Police Officer I ► Image Police Officer II
    • Ace Butoslav
    • Drew Hollowell
    • Don Mozzarella
    Police Cadet ► Image Police Officer II
    • Benny Fox
    Police Cadet ► Image Police Officer I
    • Chester Collins
    • Xavier Fury
    • Scott Jenkins
    • Mason Lee
    • Andreas OConnor
    • Pavel Perrault
    • Hans Waltz
    • Ali Withrow
FEATURED DIVISION

• -
  • -
    -
    The Advanced Training Division falls under the Administrative Services Bureau as part of the Los Santos Police Department. This division is dedicated to providing programs to Officers that allow them to both expand their introductory knowledge and advanced knowledge into a specific technique or field. The Advanced Training Division also helps with ongoing training, reviewing basic and advanced policing measures with dedicated classes in specific areas throughout the year. The Commanding Officer of this division is Captain Jason Steel with Lieutenant Steve Smyth holding the position of Assistant Commanding Officer. Together they oversee everything from vehicle certifications to training courses.
    -
-
  • One key aspect of the Advanced Training Division is providing and maintaining certifications in both weapons and vehicles that Officers use and gain further access to given their specialization as well as growth in their career within the Los Santos Police Department. The first of these two certifications deals with the way in which Officers have access to certain gear and weapons within the Department’s arsenal. Depending on their specialization and rank, Officers have the opportunity to take different weapons, ranging from shotguns to submachine guns and carbine rifles, to name a few. The instructors in the Division provide training with these weapons and are tasked with making sure the officer knows the ins and outs of his weapon when it is possible to deploy certain weapons and other criteria to enable them to obtain advanced gear and operate it to the same standard with others across the Department.
    -
  • -
    The other key certifications that instructors with the Advanced Training Division work with are those regarding vehicle certifications. Different ranks and Divisions require different vehicles, some that come with the need to certify the driver and make sure they can safely operate the vehicle in the conditions needed. This ranges from High-Speed Interceptor Units such as the Vacca to Motorbikes such as the Hakucho training the operator's tactics and usage of the vehicle to assist in high-speed chases and use the vehicle to its utmost efficiency. Other vehicles are also included for special occasions, one being the Heavy Interceptor Unit, which allows Officers to deploy a heavy vehicle to assist in pursuits of other heavy vehicles, convoys, and other advanced police techniques. Overall the vehicle certifications, done with trained members of the division allow a wide variety of vehicles to be deployed in the field depending on circumstances.
    -
-
  • The final method of training that is a main priority of the division concerns ongoing classes and instruction from basic to advanced policing skills. This means that throughout the year the Advanced Training Division offers courses for all Officers to refresh and practice their skills in certain areas. The courses can include training in advanced pursuit techniques, conducting different types of traffic stops and setting up proper scene management to keep both police and the public safe. These training courses help refresh many things that police Officers are taught as a cadet and can help in refreshing what Officers were taught, especially in tactics that may not have been used by that officer or others recently.

Under the leadership of Captain Jason Steel, the Advanced Training Division is changing and improving its licensing and certification methods, when asked about these changes, Captain Steel said the following:
    -
Police Captain I Jason Steel wrote:The Los Santos Police Department is always striving to improve and keep itself modern in an ever-evolving landscape. The changes within the Advanced Training Division are similarly aimed at modernizing the division and offering new solutions to problems that arise.

At the end of the day, the efforts undertaken by our Command Team should result in the average officer being better prepared to deal with (extra)ordinary situations as they occur on shift, and it should allow the Command Team to suspend and/or revoke certifications in a much easier fashion, streamlining the negative reinforcement and reinforcing observance of regulations.
-
  • Overall the division uses these courses and their certifications to keep the Los Santos Police Department at the top of their game. Through these measures, the Advanced Training Division is able to make sure that the safety and security of the Officers in the Department can do their best in keeping the community and citizens of Los Santos safe along with their fellow Officers while being the most effective they can be in the field.

FEATURED EMPLOYEE

-
  • -
    Police Officer III+1 Gary Taylor joined the Los Santos Police Department on the 8th of May, 2020 as a reinstatement applicant. After finishing high school, he pursued a degree in Mechanical Engineering at the National University of Galway in Ireland - Gary says he was very handy with tools and machines in a practical setting at the time which allowed him to confidently go after his degree. Living in Los Santos for about 7 months he had been working for the Bayview Auto Center as a supervisor for the majority of his stay. Almost every day he would experience some sort of robbery or shooting at his workplace and after a while, he felt that rather than letting these sorts of things happen over and over again, he would put himself forward and work to prevent crime on the forefront with the Los Santos Police Department. Gary says he was very fortunate growing up, not coming out of poverty, but not being born with a silver spoon either.
    -
Police Officer III+1 Gary Taylor wrote:My parents had a profound influence on me as I grew up. I learned pretty much everything from them; from how to tie my shoelaces to how to treat everyone you meet with respect because you don't know what is going on in their lives. One quote that comes to mind that my father ingrained in me from the start and that will always stick with me is 'Manners maketh man'. My perception of such a quote is that the way you choose to present yourself to others and how you choose to treat others is how and what you will be judged on as a person. My relationship with my colleagues and my teammates doesn't come from thin air, it was built upon a strong foundation of trust and respect. I continue to build upon these foundations every day and hope that others return the same attitude.

I come into work every day looking forward to working alongside people who I am lucky enough to call my friends and that is why I love doing what I do within the department.
-
  • His parents pushed him to be better and believed in him whatever his choice may be - they believe that a man is made from the experience he endures. Gary was not handed anything, but he was supported by his parents in everything he decided to go after - and allowed him to explore what he enjoyed to find himself. Gary's father was an immense influence on him as he himself came from a background of mechanical engineering who taught him the basics of engineering mechanics and vehicles. Gary was passionate about his work, and with achieving the rank of Supervisor at the Bayview Auto Center he fulfilled his goal. Over time, Gary became more and more disconnected with the physical-mechanical work during his tenure as the Head of Human Resources and later resigned.
    -
  • -
    Gary remembers first joining the Department and recalls a conversation with a Captain who had spoken to him about his career path and future ambitions - the Captain proposed he joins the Metropolitan Division (SWAT at the time), and he denied that being a possibility entirely. After four months in the Department, he had a sudden change of heart, realizing that he had the right skills for SWAT - applying for the next position in August 2020 and never looking back since. Gary was promoted to Police Officer III+1 in August this year as a part of his Supervisor Training Program as he finalizes his training to become a SWAT Sergeant in the Metropolitan Division. We wish you the best of luck in the program and in your future endeavors, Gary!

FEATURED INCIDENT

• -
    Late evening of Thursday, the 16th September 2021, a Detective of the Los Santos Police Department received a tip about an illegal shipment that will take place nearby Maze Bank Arena in a compound between Alta Street and South Arsenal Street. These shipments are a way for organized crime groups to obtain a number of assets that are later distributed across the State that will be used to commit crimes or used in criminal activity directly by the organized crime groups. A rise in drug-related arrests has seen the subsequent rise in demand for drug manufacturing equipment and materials as the Gang and Narcotics Division and the Major Crimes Division of the Detective Bureau continue to make investigative progress in suppressing and preventing drug manufacturing.
    -
  • -
    Following reports of gang activity in the city Scrapyard, a number of Detectives and gang units were dispatched in the area to monitor the illegal shipment and the rising activity in and around the area of interest. Two vehicles flared with colors associated with a local street gang are seen passing the area several times - breaching multiple traffic laws in the process which incited a traffic stop of a purple SUV, the SUV being one of two vehicles previously seen passing the area of interest.

Not long after the traffic stop was initiated several backup units arrived as the vehicle was occupied with four individuals, assessed to be gang members with the registered owner having a history of criminal charges and an affinity to evade. As Officers approached the vehicle the driver subsequently fled after which supporting units initiated a pursuit.
    -
  • -
    Responding units gave chase to the suspect before returning to the original location of the traffic stop, the intersection between South Arsenal and Alta Street. The suspect vehicle drove into the city Scrapyard before all four individuals exited the vehicle and opened fire at pursuing units. In the ruins of the Scrapyard, several other individuals later confirmed to be involved and affiliated with a local street gang were hidden in and around the compound, preparing an ambush. The illegal shipment was set to arrive minutes later after units made entry to the compound where an exchange of fire occurred.
    -
    -
    A number of suspects fled the area as the opportunity came while Officers were under heavy fire - one Officer sustaining a gunshot wound. The suspects from the SUV were altogether later caught in a chase leaving the place of the shipment. The injured Officer was transported and treated at Pillbox Hill while the illegal shipment was later intercepted - with 5 suspects being arrested throughout the situation for a number of felony charges. The Los Santos County Sheriff's Department Special Enforcement Detail assisted with the seizing of the illegal shipment along with our very own Metropolitan Division whose units were among the first to arrive during the exchange of fire.
    -

STATISTICS

• Employee Adjustments
    Promotions
    Demotions
    Suspensions
    Resignations
    Terminations

Recruitment
    Total Applications
    Accepted
    Denied
    Pending
    Withdrawn
    Number of Academies
    New Cadets

Field Training Program
    Sessions Conducted
    Field Training Reports
    Passed Cadets
    Failed Cadets

Ride-Along Program
    Ride-Alongs Accepted
    * Ride-Along Reports
    * These reports are currently not tallied
  • Patrol Reports
    Arrest
    Impound
    Impound Release
    Traffic Stop
    Use of Force

Detective Bureau
    Crimes Reported
    Active Cases
    Cases Denied
    Cases Concluded
    Cases Closed

Internal Affairs
    Total Complaints
    Sustained
    Not Resolved/Dismissed
    Exonerated
    Actions Could Be Different
    No Misconduct
    Insufficient Evidence to Adjudicate
    Withdrawn
EMPLOYEE AVAILABILITY

• -------------------
    5 | 4.59%
    1 | 0.92%
    1 | 0.92%
    3 | 2.75%

Staff Officers
    Image Chief of Police
    Image Assistant Chief of Police
    Image Deputy Chief of Police
    -------------------
    7 | 6.42%
    0 | 0.00%
    2 | 1.83%
    1 | 0.92%
    4 | 3.67%

Command Officers
    Image Commander
    Image Captain III
    Image Captain II
    Image Captain I
    -------------------
    5 | 4.59%
    2 | 1.83%
    3 | 2.75%

Police Lieutenants
    Image Lieutenant II
    Image Lieutenant I
    -------------------
    4 l 3.67%
    1 | 0.92%
    3 | 2.75%

Police Sergeants
    Image Sergeant II
    Image Sergeant I
  • -------------------
    10 | 9.17%
    04 | 3.67%
    00 | 0.00%
    05 | 5.50%

Police Detectives
    Image Detective III
    Image Detective II
    Image Detective I
    -------------------
    67 | 61.47%
    05 | 4.59%
    27 | 24.77%
    24 | 22.02%
    11 | 10.09%

Patrol Officers
    Image Police Officer III+1
    Image Police Officer III
    Image Police Officer II
    Image Police Officer I
    -------------------
    11 | 10.09%
    11 | 10.09%

Police Cadets
    Cadet
    -------------------

Total Employees

CLOSING MESSAGE

• This concludes the Los Santos Police Department's Monthly Bulletin for October. Thank you for taking the time to read through it and we hope you are excited for the next one. The Media Relations Division works hard to provide information about the LSPD to both employees and the public, but we couldn't do it without our division leaders keeping up with their own monthly updates for a timely release. If you have any suggestions, feedback, and comments, please contact the Media Relations Division through the means listed in the Contact Information tab.

* The statistics gathered for this month were mostly supplied by us tallying posts. There might be some human error in these statistics. If you are aware of any mistakes, please contact Media Relations.
    -
CONTACT INFORMATION
  • -
    Media Relations Division Public Inquiries
    Los Santos Police Department
    Sinner Street 69, Mission Row
    Los Santos, SA, 90013
mrdstamp
MEDIA RELATIONS DIVISION
Administrative Services Bureau
Los Santos Police Department — "To Protect and to Serve"

Account is not monitored. For information, consult the Public Affairs area.

Return to “Newsroom”