Police Life-Saving Medal Ceremony 2021

The Newsroom contains all press releases of the Los Santos Police Department.
LSPD Media Relations
ECRP Forum Name:

Police Life-Saving Medal Ceremony 2021

Post by LSPD Media Relations »

lspdlogo

WWW.LSPD.SAGOV.US
Los Santos Police Department
Press Release
Monday, October 25th, 2021
"TO PROTECT AND SERVE"

Police Life-Saving Medal Ceremony
-

-
-
-
The Police Life-Saving Medal is an award for bravery, usually awarded to officers for taking action in order to rescue or attempt the rescue of either a fellow officer or any person from imminent danger.
-
  • On the 25th of August at around 1430 an active shootout was reported in a parking lot on the intersection between Ginger Street and Palomino Avenue - an emergency response ensued as a joint tactical frequency was employed for units to coordinate through. Officers on the scene of the shootout were under heavy gunfire and had little to no cover, resorting to additional units as a way to stay alive. A former Detective that was caught in the midst of the fiery exchange was shot several times after they had attempted to reposition with the help of arriving operatives from the Metropolitan Division - being confronted by armed gang members, a suspect was shot down before the Detective sustained multiple gunshot wounds. Officer Alexander Olsson and Officer Jeff Babatunda were among the first arriving units and with their quick thinking and selflessness, they diverted the attention of the shooting gang members toward themselves - providing cover fire while Officer John Styll, also among the first arriving units, had been given enough time to run across the parking lot and drag the injured Detective to safety. The injured Detective received basic life support as support units provided cover for the two operatives to retreat into a more favorable position.
-
  • -
    Officers Alexander Olsson, Jeff Babatunda, and John Styll demonstrated courage of the highest standard - taking it upon themselves to rescue their injured colleague while putting themselves between the colleague and imminent danger. Officers Olsson and Babatunda are both operatives of the Metropolitan Division while Officer John Styll is a Traffic Officer in the Vinewood Traffic Division.
    -
  • -
    A formal ceremony was held on Sunday, the 17th of October in the building of the Mission Row Patrol Division where the heroic actions of the three Officers were praised. The selfless and courageous acts of these three Officers have earned them the Life-Saving Award. The three Officers had the following to say about their work, ambitions, and why they do what they do.
    -
Police Officer III Jeff Babatunda wrote:
I do what I do to provide a safe environment for those around me. Growing up in a dangerous city in Nigeria, surrounded by nothing but gangs striking fear into the community I never saw myself standing around doing nothing! I always tried my best to help out where I could and provide a somewhat safe environment for others. I will always make sure that others are safe before me, if I get hurt then I know who is going to be affected and that would be me and me only, however, if someone else was affected who is not always expecting the worst to happen, the knock-on effect this can have on not only them but others in their family is tragic. I have seen far too many people being negatively affected by issues caused by criminals. As an Officer, I swore to protect and serve the citizens of Los Santos and I will always stand by this. I want to ensure everyone in this city feels protected and safe. I want to make sure everyone is able to enjoy their lives and not spend them in fear with a "what if this happens" attitude always in the back of their mind.

I always set myself new goals to achieve and targets to work towards. I am always striving to improve myself and ready to take feedback. I take in everything I learn from day-to-day life to my standard duties as an Officer with my colleagues. I want to make sure that the fantastic knowledge that was passed onto me by the Department is then passed down onto the future of the Department and that we continue to uphold the law and ensure that we can make the city of Los Santos safe for everyone.
  • -
Police Officer III Alexander Olsson wrote:
I initially joined the Los Santos Police Department as a way to help the community, as well as continue my career of serving the general public after leaving the Los Santos Emergency Medical Services. The reason I do what I do and get out there every day is because I have amazing colleagues that inspire me to put in the work and I would hate to leave them behind. I have the opportunity to work in this amazing Department alongside the best family I could ever have, I have the opportunity to have amazing teachers that have given me so much knowledge and I do not want it to go to waste. I swore to protect the citizens, I have been taught to protect the weak and helpless and that is what I will continue to do.

The reason I keep going out in the field every day and put in the work is because of my amazing coworkers that are more of a loving family than work partners. My colleagues inspire me and teach me new things every day and that is a great perk of being an Officer, they inspire me and teach me not only as an Officer but a person out of the uniform as well. I have said this already, but what keeps me going is the mutual love and respect our Department has, and I would not give it up for anything.
  • -
Police Officer III John Styll wrote:
I am a firm believer that everyone should be able to live their lives as freely and as peacefully as possible without facing the risk of becoming a victim of crime. Personally, for me, it is the little things. A lot of people forget about the so-called 'little man' - that fisherman who frequents his fishing spot and has spent the last few months saving every cent he can in order to fulfill his goals and dreams, only to have it stolen from right under his nose? Being able to help that man in his hour of need, when he feels that the whole world is against him, is the reason that I do what I do.

You would be extremely naïve to say that this is a job for everyone because it is simply not. Unfortunately, in the current climate that we find ourselves in a lot of people will demonize me and my colleagues for our uniforms and badge - I put my life on the line every single day because I swore to protect and serve every single citizen of his State, and I will continue to stand by my values and our motto.

I am naturally a very driven and goal orientated individual. I set myself a multitude of short, medium, and long-term career-based goals. I find that this is the best way for you to find yourself within the Department and it really does give you something tangible to strive towards
  • -
    mrdlogo
CONTACT INFORMATION
  • -
    For Information Contact:
    -
    Media Relations Division Public Inquiries
    Los Santos Police Department
    Sinner Street 69, Mission Row
    Los Santos, SA, 90013
mrdstamp
MEDIA RELATIONS DIVISION
Administrative Services Bureau
Los Santos Police Department — "To Protect and to Serve"

Account is not monitored. For information, consult the Public Affairs area.

Return to “Newsroom”