LSEMS Monthly Press Release | September/August 2021

Amie Pavlovich
ECRP Forum Name:

DOC Awards

LSEMS Awards

LSEMS Monthly Press Release | September/August 2021

Post by Amie Pavlovich »

The Los Santos Emergency Medical Services or LSEMS is currently stationed at the Pillbox Hill Medical Centre where it is bordered by Elgin Avenue and Integrity Way in the east of Downtown Metro, Los Santos.

The Los Santos Emergency Medical Services provides immediate care and treatment for the citizens of the State of San Andreas.

EMT - Advanced Amie Koal

"Throughout the past couple of months, we've been working hard to improve the quality of LSEMS, develop service members, and improve the training being delivered internally, to our team, and externally to the citizens of Los Santos. With many departments under new leadership, August and September have been months of change and inspiration. With so many new ideas being brought up and a lot more to come, LSEMS is a very exciting place to be."

Welcome to this press release from the LSEMS!
We've had another busy couple of months (A common theme it seems!) with plenty of patients to treat, events to attend, and A LOT of divisional training, not forgetting all of our new promotions and appointments!

As always, the staff at LSEMS hope you have a safe and enjoyable time around Los Santos.

Paramedic James Valor

One of the hardest working individuals within, Paramedic James Valor, has recently taken his role as a Paramedic. He has been rewarded for his hard work by an invitation to the supervisory team, which he passed successfully. He has also the fully-fledged Head of Human Resources in LSEMS. He was interviewed about his time in the service.
How long have you been employed at LSEMS?
"I was first employed in November of 2018, I resigned a few months later and returned in March of 2021, I'm nearing 6 months now, since my reinstatement I have just been doing my best to be the good medic that everyone knows is reliable, and I hope I've done at least a semi-decent job at that."

What are your future goals at LSEMS?
"I'd like to reach Command and make LSEMS even better, I would love for us to have a great team of EMTs that represent us the proper way. I want the LSEMS to be light-hearted and fun while maintaining a professional image and delivering the care people need. "

What is the best division at LSEMS and why?
"Human Resources is the best division obviously because it's my division duh. But even that aside, without Human Resources & our Relations Team, we can't recruit and throw events and do all the things that make the LSEMS what it is. That being said, once you're in the LSEMS, Air & Rescue or Fire & Rescue are where it is at. Fire scenes & drug labs although scary at first, have been some of my best memories, you meet great people from other departments, and even some really funny citizens that are just curious about what happened. As for Air & Rescue, performing Rescue missions has not only been some of the most fun I have ever had, but it is also a thankful and gratifying job. Nothing beats the feeling of saving someone who thought there was no hope because of how dire their situation was."

What is the most memorable thing that has happened during your time at LSEMS?
"It's not anything that's like.. fun? But I think it's a really sweet and just good moment that I had that shaped my time at the LSEMS into what it has been. Very early on in my return here, I had some issues and I made some mistakes as well as I was just in a really rough spot, Chief Crawford pulled me aside herself and drove me out to a parking lot somewhere, and just talked to me about everything that I was feeling and mixed it in as part of my Head of Human Resources interview. She encouraged me and pushed me in the right direction and her position as Chief aside, I can say if it weren't for her I wouldn't be where I am today."

Is there anyone that has been influential during your time at LSEMS?
"Chief Crawford, Deputy Chief Tenbe, Senior Paramedic MPache, Previous Deputy Chief Jenkins & Lieutenant Tenbe. All of those people have pushed me and really believed in me to be better, as I previously said, I came into the LSEMS 2 years later and it was completely different and I had a really hard time adjusting to the way the city had changed while I was gone, and the people I listed above had all taken time and energy and poured it into me and shaping me into who I am now, I cannot tell you how many times Chief Crawford has called me into the office with that disappointed mom look and cracked down on me, but in such a way that I walked out of the office feeling like I was going to be better for it. If the people above hadn't found ways to understand me and guided me, I don't know what I would be doing right now. It definitely wouldn't be what I love though."
(Interviewed by PR Representative, EMT K. Lafleur.)

Los Santos Emergency Medical Services is made up of many different divisions, each with its own skillsets, equipment, and talented personnel that give them the capability to provide effective and efficient services to the citizens of Los Santos, here is the Divisional Spotlight!

What skills does it take to be a part of your division?
  • It takes a focused mind to be able to not only fly a helicopter with the utmost precision but to go into life-saving rescues as well. Along with being capable of navigating rough and arduous terrain in our off-road vehicles with time against you. This is what it takes to be a part of the Air and Rescue division.
Where is your division based?
  • We prefer Central MD as it is our only hospital with multiple helipads for our pilots to station. It also has direct access to the high-end medical supplies at Central MD.
What does your division provide the public?
  • Our division is able to respond to those calls that are timely and potentially in a spot that might not be accessible to that of a land vehicle. We are able to produce rescue basket operations, land and sea patrol for those who get lost at sea, and transport patients at high speeds for those in serious critical conditions to hospitals from anywhere in Los Santos within minutes.
Final Comments?
  • You can not really book an appointment with our division, however, if you are ever stuck in a sticky situation and are unsure if you can safely get out of it, be sure to call the medical service and request a MEDEVAC rescue.

What skills does it take to be a part of your division?
  • To be in CRU you need to have an astounding understanding of Emotions, Mental Health, and Communication. Within LSEMS we help a lot of people physically after incidents that may occur. However, within CRU, we help others that are in need on the Emotional and Mental side of things, helping them overcome barriers that they face with themselves. We pride ourselves on helping others by showing them how to help themselves!
Where is your division based?
  • Pillbox is our home
What does your division provide the public?
  • We provide First Responders that go to you when you are in need of someone's help, stopping people that feel they have nowhere else to go. We also provide therapists that will complete sessions with you, this can do many things, help you understand yourself and the world around you, maybe there is something underlying or maybe you just need someone to talk to.
How to book an appointment?
  • We have forms you can fill to book an appointment, you can also just make a dispatch call asking for CRU. Or you can even drop by Pillbox and ask a Member of MD. If it is an emergency, call 911, we'll do our best to send a first responder out to you.

Over the past few weeks, we've noticed that there is a standout in certain mechanisms of injury of which our department is called out to deal with. Unfortunately, we cannot get to everyone. This being said this section of this press release will provide some information to help you, help yourself, and help others. (We do urge you to work toward gaining your Medical License!)

The State of San Andreas is filled with great views provided by its hills and mountains, but most of the views come with danger, especially while hiking up to them!
We have had an increased number of calls requiring our Air rescue and Mountain rescue units to be dispatched in order to reach the patient(s), and we believe a bit of help, in the form of advice, from us will decrease the number of injuries that happen on your hiking trips!

• Gearing Up - You cannot hike up Mount Chiliad in your dress shoes! You need some good boots! High-quality boots will have no issues providing you grip all the way up to the tippy top of the mountain! Further, it is going to be windy and cold the further up you go, so bring a hoodie or jacket depending on how far up you are going!
  • Alcohol Consumption - It is very easy to say the "Just don't drink duh", but realistically alcohol makes things more fun IF consumed in amounts that do not render an individual unable to control their actions to react to things around them. One very important aspect of consuming alcohol during physical activity is that the alcohol kicks in way faster due to your body losing water through intensified breathing and increased sweating due to physical strain. Your body needs water to survive, literally, and if you just keep chugging alcohol, you will be feeling ill quite soon. So bring water with you along with the booze!!
  • Sun Exposure - The sun is nice but it is more of your enemy than your ally. While you are hiking, your body gets more and more tired and hot, and it needs to cool off sooner or later. Cooling happens due to your body excreting sweat through your skin, and then the wet skin surface becomes a good heat exchanger. If you are exposed to the sun, that wet skin will be significantly less efficient at exchanging heat due to the sun heating the skin surface up! Following the less efficient heat exchange, your body goes on and excretes more and more sweat, significantly reducing the amount of water inside of your body. Make sure to stay hydrated even if not drinking!!
  • Trail Safety - Trails exist for a reason. Do not stray off a trail or you might end up requiring a rescue and a stay at the nearby hospital. You can find many dangerous things off-trail, and these will ruin your day! Ranging from poison ivy all the way up to mountain lions, we're pretty sure you would not like contact with either or anything in between.
  • Wildlife - In addition to not straying off trails to avoid wildlife encounters, do not, under any circumstance feed wildlife. These animals are wild and their actions can not be predicted under any circumstance. This is going to sound silly or funny but even a rabbit can endanger your life should it bite you.
  • Avoiding Risks - Simply put: Do not be stupid. Jumping off a cliff with a bike might sound like fun, but you will absolutely get injured in 100% of the attempts you make, which will not be pleasant. So please, stay safe, be smart, and do not attempt things that could cost you your life.

Unfortunately, hearing a gunshot or five is not a rare occurrence in the state of San Andreas. If not already licensed, you should most certainly take some time out of your week to sign up for a Basic Life Support class with us, because this will sooner or later save lives. Today we will be covering one of the many things taught in a BLS class - Gunshot Wound Treatment.

There are three primary types of gunshot wounds:
  • A Graze Wound (bullet did not enter the body completely)
  • Entry-Only wound (bullet entered the body and remained inside)
  • Entry & Exit wound (bullet went in and out of the body)
The first type is the least dangerous one, the two other ones are often are very much life-threatening.
The first thing you should do is check where the wound is, and if it has an exit hole. If the wound is in the abdominal region, DO NOT apply pressure, simply plug the hole. If the bullet made an exit wound as well, make sure to plug that one up as well. If you have gauze, excellent! Stuff as much as you can in there so it applies passive pressure. If you do not have gauze with you, simply plug the hole(s) with your fingers (preferably your thumb), by jamming it as far in as possible, physically restricting the flow of blood.
The same tactic goes for a neck wound, stick something inside to limit blood flow.
If the wound went into a muscle, you can and should apply pressure onto it, alongside plugging the wound with gauze or cloth. If you have nothing to plug the hole with, use your fingers. Plugging the hole is more important than just pressure, as pressure will be applied by your finger on the inside.
And of course, please remember to dial 911 as soon as possible, so that professional help can arrive and provide proper assistance as soon as possible.
(Article by PR Representative, Senior Paramedic A. Mpache.)

We love hearing from you, so this section of the Press Release is to get some of your feedback about LSEMS and includes an interview from one of the wonderful citizens in Los Santos.

This Press Release feature and interview from Mr. Chad Rapkov;
We asked how often does he use our services:
  • "I've personally needed EMS a lot, my friends too! We always feel good knowing that if something bad happens the medics are there to help us"
We then asked how his experience was with medics when he has called for aid:
  • "I've had no bad experiences with any medics, can't think of a single one"
One of the things that LSEMS provides is access to BLS courses to allow citizens to be able to obtain their medical license's, we asked Mr Rapkov if he had completed one of these courses:
  • "I have, the course was fun and really informative! I've had my license for a few months now and it's been worth having, I've been able to help my friends and strangers when they are hurt with the training I was given."
We then asked for his overall view on the department:
  • "No complaints with EMS, they seem to always try their best to get to me every time I call, I've had it where I was injured at the top of Chiliad and a medic drove right to me and saved my life!"
(Interviewed by Head of Relations, EMT A. Koal.)

Within the past couple of months, LSEMS has had more promotions within the ranks, so please join us as we congratulate some of our most dedicated members of EMS, as well as welcome the new members that are just starting their journies.
  • Deputy Chief ► Assistant Chief
    • Samantha Tenbe
    Lead Paramedic ► Lieutenant
    • Soheyl Johnson
    • Milo Granger
    EMT-A ► Paramedic
    • James Valor
    • Ciara Carter

EMT-I ► EMT-A
    • Colin Quinn
    • Samuel Winder
    • Triston Devil
    • Mike Jansen
    • Jacob West
    EMT-B ► EMT-I
    • Reina Moraine
    • Kim Valor
    EMR ► EMT-B
    • Alex Silford
    • Alexhander Jobs
    • Emilia Thalmer
    • Mathew Stockton
    • Lyle Tucker
Within the past months, we have also had new faces rejoin us once again, help us give them a warm welcome back to LSEMS.
  • Paramedic
    • Clay Thompson
    EMT-A
    • Hunter Stile
    EMT-B
    • Kopi Crozen
    • Charles Ronaldson
    • Joshua Graham
    • Michael Cooper
    • Olivia Bishop

We have seen a lot of restructuring within LSEMS, with lots of people taking up new, critical roles within the department, the changes are as follows;

Head of Basic Life Support | Colin Quinn

It takes a lot of effort to shine bright, and be recognized as not only a good team member, but as a team leader. A huge congratulation to those listed above, and we hope to see you and your divisions thrive in the coming weeks and months!

LSEMS Appointment Booking:

You are able to book an appointment with our staff, whether that be a doctor for physical problems you may have or our therapist team for mental and emotional support, you can complete the form below and arrange to come in and see us! Don't leave that pain till tomorrow. Don't be alone with your thoughts. We are here to help.
Click Here to Book Now!
LSEMS Application Status: OPEN
Joining LSEMS is a great way to get a stable career, improve your life skills, and most importantly, save others. Los Santos Emergency Medical Services are currently looking for eager and determined applicants to join the service and become qualified medics in the City of Los Santos!
Click Here to Apply Now!
*Subjected to background check*
LSEMS Ridealong Application Status: OPEN
Applying for the LSEMS Ride-along Program is a great way to see firsthand exactly what the Emergency Medical Services do. You will be paired up with one of our friendly staff members who will take you to calls that range from minor injuries to major accidents.
Apply for an LSEMS Ride-along!
Click Here to check the status currently.
LSEMS Basic Life Support Course Applications Status: OPEN
Learn how to give basic treatment and provide life-saving aid!

Click Here to VIEW the BLS Course Schedules

Please make sure to only use the parking spaces across the street near the Citybee, or to the side of the MD when attending a Basic Life Support course.

The back parking is for LSEMS EMPLOYEES ONLY.

Thank you all so much for reading this dual Press Release under the Relations Team! We hope to see you around Los Santos staying safe and healthy. If you have anything you want to see on next month's press release please email our Head of Relations, Amie Koal! If you have any questions or information regarding anything that was on this press release, do not hesitate to let us know.

Contributors:

Amie Koal
[email protected]
EMT-Advanced
Head of Relations

Los Santos Emergency Medical Services

Alex Mpache
[email protected]
Senior Paramedic
Relations Representative

Los Santos Emergency Medical Services

Kourtney Lafleur