Sheriff's Newsletter - July 2021

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Argus Sneijder
ECRP Forum Name:

Sheriff's Newsletter - July 2021

Post by Argus Sneijder »

OPENING MESSAGE

Agent Argus Sneijder

The month of July has passed and for those of you who did not know yet so did our anniversary. Both for the department but also for the newsletter. We are proud to have been able to provide information and transparency through previous newsletters and news releases.

Recruitment for the LSSD was open in July and was recently closed. We were able to handle 49 applications and 24 interviews throughout the month of July. We hosted two Academies and had 12 new trainees. And we would like to thank the employees in both the Recruitment and Employment Division and Field Training Division for their contributions this month.

Looking at August we will see the first schools starting again. We would like to remind people to slow down and drive extra cautiously in school zones. And we would like to suggest that if possible, you carpool to reduce traffic congestion and pollution.

DEPUTY OF THE MONTH

Deputy Sheriff III Steven Lee

For the month of July, we are proud to announce Deputy Sheriff III Steven Lee as the Deputy of the Month.

Deputy Sheriff III Steven Lee has been with the Los Santos Sheriff's Department for quite a few months. He recently was promoted to his current rank of Deputy Sheriff III, after lots of hard work. He takes much pride in his position in the Department, being extremely proficient Air Support, Field Training Division, and Recruitment & Employment. Within the Air Support Division, however, he has been clocking in tons of hours, progressing to the rank of Pilot within the division. Here is a quote from the Commanding Officer of Air Support, Sergeant Rosselli.

Deputy Lee has been motivated ever since joining the division, offering to help with training and was a really quick learner in the sky. His callouts improved at an impressive rate as well as his flying skills. Senior Pilot Lee has also got Pilot of the month and was trusted with the keys to our buzzard for a week, in which he continues to improve even more. Lee was not only doing a good job on the field, he also was helping me make adjustments to the handbook as well as write with me a totally new handbook volume.
    Deputy Lee has proven to be a fantastic asset to the department. He is extremely consistent, clocking in a total of 168.22 hours during the month of July. He just recently joined the Recruitment and Employment Division, where he plans to continue his dedication to the department to the highest standard.

The Sheriff's Department wishes Deputy Sheriff III Lee nothing but more success and a promising career with the Department, and that he remains faithful to his commitments to provide a traditional and excellent service to the community. On behalf of the Department, Deputy Sheriff III Steven Lee will receive a bonus payment of $1,000.00 (($100,000.00)).

STORY OF THE MONTH

• Recently the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department has undergone some changes to our policy and protocol to accommodate the San Andreas Judicial Branch and the newly added Courts of San Andreas. These new policies and protocols were added to keep the checks and balances as they should be. In the past the only action a civilian could take to dispute charges placed upon them by a deputy of the Sheriff's Department was by submitting an Internal Affairs report through our government website. What this did was have our Internal Affairs team investigate the situation by getting statements from all deputies involved and the civilian that was charged to see if all charges and actions taken were appropriate. The new courts will change this. Now when someone is charged with what they find as unfair charges they can submit a appeal with the Courts of San Andreas. If the Judicial Branch deems their appeal as sufficient for a case one will be open and a date will be set. This will allow the suspect to either represent themselves or have an attorney to give their side and why they shouldn't have been charged the way they were. This will also give the deputy a chance to articulate their side and why the actions they took and charges they placed were appropriate.

Like I mentioned with the Courts of San Andreas being brought in we made some changes to our policies and protocols. Now with every arrest being made the deputies will make an arrest report. These reports will outline the suspects charges, the situation which led to the arrest, the evidence collected on the scene, and if the suspect pleads guilty to all, or some of their charges. All of this will help give clarity to the judges if this case does go to court. The Los Santos County Sheriff's Department welcomes these changes and is confident that they will help build upon the transparency we have and the trust the people of our great state have in our department.

-

DEPUTY SPOTLIGHT

Master Deputy Umbra Smith

The deputy spotlight this Month goes to Master Deputy Umbra Smith. Master Deputy Umbra Smith joined the department over 4 months ago back on the 14th of March. You are most likely to see him out in the field, but he is also certified in the air support division. And of course, some of you may have come into contact with him during his Detention and Parole Bureau duties. And most community members might also have seen him work at Bayview. As he was a mechanic prior to working for the Sheriff's Department. Or perhaps you might know him as the devout Catholic he is.

The Sheriff's Information Division reached out to Master Deputy Umbra Smith to get a greater insight into him as a person and for the public to get to know him better.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    My most memorable moment serving as a deputy in the Los Santos Sheriff's department would have to be about two months ago. I was patrolling around, just as any normal deputy would, and I see a man on the side of the road being tended to by Staff Sergeant Handley. The man had suffered an assault and with the help of some holy water, and a few passages from the King James Version of the Bible, we helped him find solace in our lord and savior Jesus Christ. That man went off happy that day, having forgotten the assault, and went on to work at Bayview later that month.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    It was an experience that made me want to become a Sheriff's deputy. I was a Bayview mechanic at the time, and I was en route to a mechanics call. It was a warm day, the sun beating down on the steel roof of my rusty tow truck. I was passing the Paleto Sheriff's station and to my horror I see a money truck collide with a cruiser and injure a Deputy! The money truck speeds off and I run over to the Deputy, who was our very own Garret Groyce, and provide some Basic life support before running him to MD. When I looked into his eyes I saw a passionate man ready to return to his original call. I joined the sheriff's department to gain the same qualities as that man on that day.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    The greatest feeling about being a deputy is being able to keep the peace in the county and to help keep the faith of those around me, in God, and the ideals of justice.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD in 2 months from now?
    I hope to see myself in a supervisory position should everything go to plan, but more importantly I hope to have a long-winded conversation with Staff Sergeant Tyrone Balakay, who is suffering from a terminal illness, and through the power of prayer, and the support of the sheriff's department, will pull through and regain his health.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    Outside of work I enjoy taking in the beautiful sights our blessed county has to offer, there is a reason is called "The Morning Glory County" and that is because dawn is beautiful. My favourite spots to watch the sunrise are on the train tracks hanging above Raton Canyon, which are relatively safe since the line got blocked a few years back, sitting there with The North Store™ metal polish and old cloth, cleaning my badge to the tune of red winged blackbirds songs is the closest we can get to heaven on earth. I also spend the first few hours of every Sunday on video call with my local parish back in Ireland while mass is prepared and said. Last but not least before bed every night I clutch my King James version of the Bible close, and read passages from it before falling asleep.
    -

PROMOTIONS

• Image Sergeant ► Image Staff Sergeant
    • Matthew Handley
    Image Deputy Sheriff III ► Image Master Deputy
    • Victoria McJohnson
    • Huw Parry
    • Umbra Smith
    • Ian Walter
    Image Deputy Sheriff II ► Image Deputy Sheriff III
    • Kai Carson
    • Steven Lee
    Image Deputy Sheriff I ► Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Tom Handley
    • Mannfred Valentine
    • Dante Archer
    • Ryan Osullivan
    • Ciara O'Neil
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee ►Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Jackson Walter
    • Sergei Malkin
    • Martin Haswell
    • Jett Jones
    • Jacob West
    • Alex Mathews
    • Joshua Alex
    • Sergio Livanos

-

MONTHLY STATISTICS

CLOSING MESSAGE

• Thank you for reading this newsletter. The Sheriff's Information Division is proud of being able to deliver this information to you, as we believe that transparency is the key to success. We do not have a suitable replacement yet for the divisional spotlight but have solid ideas that we are looking to get implemented. Stay tuned for more information.

We would like to take this opportunity to remind you that you can find the Los County Sheriff's Department on LifeInvader. We plan to publish a wide variety of releases on our LifeInvader page, as we believe that being transparent is the best way of connecting with our communities. So if you want to keep up with the department, make sure that you press that 'Like' button to receive updates each time we publish something.
CONTACT INFORMATION

Undersheriff Bobby Kirk
    (909) 596-1688 — [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909

Return to “News Room”