Seth Blackwood | Charges appeal 6/20/2021. # 21-06-22-AP-001

Post by Seth Blackwood »

San Andreas Judicial Branch

[SAJB] Appeals Court
"HERE FOR YOU | SAFE FOR YOU"

Personal Information:
DEFENDANTS NAME: Seth Blackwood
DEFENDANTS PHONE: 321-3932
DEFENDANTS ADDRESS: Tinsel Towers Apartments #80.
ATTORNEY NAME: I'd like to have one appointed to me.
ATTORNEY PHONE: I'd like to have one appointed to me.
General Information:
OFFICERS NAME: Xoza Shadow, Samuel Martin, Cyrus Carver, Lewis Langley and many others.
BADGE NUMBER: N/A
ATTORNEY NAME:
ATTORNEY PHONE:

Incident Information:
DATE AND TIME OF INCIDENT(s): 6/20/2021 at roughly 8:45 PM (UTC).

CHARGES BEING APPEALED:
GM #3 Possession of a Blade
WM #04 Possession of Illegal Body Armor
Removal of Weapon License.

DEFENDANTS STORY/OPENING STATEMENTS: (any evidence attached must pertain to or somehow involve the situation)
Throughout the week of this situation, I have been working on organizing a festival for the city to enjoy. The festival is/was going to take place on Sunday the 27th of June. I had been in contact already with Commissioner Langley regarding him being the guest of honor and the potential renting of a few 'party busses' to act out as stages. I had arranged out the DJ's, was told by Commissioner Langley how to handle the ads, and spoke to the current CEO of Weazel, Hazel Adams, about getting it done. The only thing left was to get people handling the protection of the cars and working at the makeshift bars. The idea of this festival came from a girl called Hayden that I met through a mutual friend, and she asked me to do it due to my connections to people during my time as the CEO of Weazel. I was excited and found that this festival could be a blast of a time, and therefore told her I would arrange it. The last few days have been full of organizing, and Haydens Friend Sam Onizuka told me he could arrange a meeting with a few people that could help. He then named Ravyn and a few friends from the 'Goblins' and scheduled a meeting with them on the beach below the N.O.O.S.E building. I would lie if I wasn't aware of the goblins and their organization and I was aware that they have done criminal things in the past, yet decided to go on with the meeting for the festival and business sake. I was aware of Ravyn, due to me knowing her for a long time and I know her expertise in scheduling things and creative designing. I believed her to be a good creative asset to the festival.

Sam Onizuka and arrived at the beach, and were met with a group of Rooks and A brawler including, I believe, 2 goblins in them. Once again I was aware of their background and what they do. We got out of our cars, and quite immediately a swarm of police officers showed up and put us all under arrest. On the beach, I got charged with the charges above, plus an additional charge for face concealment which I won't appeal.

To that date, I had been wearing armor and this 'battleax' for roughly 4-5 weeks and had asked officers if it was allowed.

GM #3 Possession of a Blade:
Especially when it comes to the so-called 'battleax'. I had been seen with the battleax by many cops, and they have always said it was fine. I even asked it at mission row, the moment I got it as a present and they said I was fine to carry it due to its likeliness to a hatchet. A few hours earlier I was seen by both officer Couch, and Officer Vern wearing it on the side of my leg and they didn't say a thing. Upon arrest, it was judged that the blade was too long, and therefore I received a charge for it. My problem with the charge is that it had been accepted and approved for 6 weeks prior, and that out of nowhere it seemed to be an issue. I understand that rules are set in place for a reason, but I was carrying a decorated ax that I got as a present and was never told to hand it in. On the contrary, there were multiple officers that said it was fine to be carried. I had never thought to myself to check the length of the blade, due to it being approved countless times before by multiple officers.

WM #04 Possession of Illegal Body Armor:
I'd like to appeal this charge due to how it's written in the penal code. The penal code states the following;
'Possessing illegal body armor not purchased or obtained through legal traders. Armor being kevlar, plates, steel, or even make-shift items intended to slow down or stop knives or bullets.'
The second part of the sentence classifies what 'armor' is, and I believe does not fit what I was wearing. I was wearing a vest without any metal plates inside, and that was due to that just a vest. The vest that I was wearing was therefore not intended to slow down or stop knives or bullets, because there was no material in it that would. It was just therefore just functioning as a normal vest and didn't have any of the intentions that are described in the penal code. A few days prior, I asked Detective Cowell a few days prior if it was allowed, and he then told me it was due to these reasons.

Removal of Weapon License:
The LSPD removed my weapons license that I had for years, due to my 'gang affiliation' yet I beg to differ. As explained in the opening paragraph, my intentions were not to handle anything gang-related but were instead to work on a festival I had been working on. I was at the time aware of their respective organizations, but my intentions were not in line with that. During my time as Weazel CEO, I had to deal with multiple gang-affiliated members, and I was never questioned in doing so due to it bringing money to the government. I had to make multiple deals and multiple ads for these people, and never got suspected while doing that. I now was doing something for myself, and even asked Commissioner Langley to become the guest of honor, and got arrested for doing something I had done countless times in the past. I maybe don't work for Weazel anymore, but I still do business from time to time. The detectives that arrested me, told me that the place we met was sketchy and I fully agree. This was a short planned thing, and we tried to look for a center point for the people attending the meeting. The goblins were up north, while I and Sam were down south and so he picked a spot in the middle which was under the N.O.O.S.E building. The detectives are one hundred percent correct, that this isn't an ideal meeting place but I don't think that was a thought in Sam's mind while deciding it.

I'd like the charges to be removed, and the penal code adapted so that it explains better what 'Armor' means. I believe this appeal could set a precedent for the future, due to the rareness of the items that got confiscated and that I got charged for. Multiple officers have told me I was allowed to wear/have these items, and I today got punished for having them.

Signed,
Seth Blackwood

Bret Hyland
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name:

Re: Seth Blackwood | Charges appeal 6/20/2021.

Post by Bret Hyland »

San Andreas Justice Department

• Mr. Blackwood,
    Thank you for reaching out, I will be the acting Judge presiding over this case, currently we are in the process of training our attorneys, we will be able to appoint one to your case in the near future. ((expect to be a couple of days to finish their trainings, and licensing)).
    How ever in the mean time, I will begin the process for you and get all the necessary paperwork for scheduling a court date forwarded to you. This shall be done via E-mail, please ensure you check your email frequently during the process to ensure we get this resolved in a timely and accurate timeframe.

The defense will be served notice and given time to gather statements from all those involved, so if anyone outside of those listed about was present or involved at any point please e-mail me the names at this time.

• From

Honorable Bret Hyland
    Judge
    San Andreas Government
Fitz Keegan
Police Officer II
ECRP Forum Name:

LSSD Awards

Post by Fitz Keegan »

• Mr. Blackwood,
    Thank you for your patience in this process, my name is Fitz Keegan and I will be acting as your state-appointed attorney for your appeal request. I will be in contact with you in the coming days regarding setting up a preparatory meeting to discuss this case. In the meantime, please collect all evidence you have that pertains to the appeal.

State Attorney Fitz Keegan
    State Attorney
Bret Hyland
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name:

Re: Seth Blackwood | Charges appeal 6/20/2021. # 21-06-22-AP-001

Post by Bret Hyland »

• Mr. Blackwood,

My apologizes on the length of time it has taken, but we are ready to resume the process. Attorneys have been notified that you require representation as your Attorney has since had to take a leave and will be unable to represent you. A new attorney will resume this trial for you, they may ask you similar questions.
    We appreciate your patience in this matter.

• From

Honorable Bret Hyland
    Judge
    San Andreas Government
Judith Mason
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name: Judge Judy

SAJB Awards

Post by Judith Mason »

• Mr. Blackwood,

My name is Judith Mason and I will be your government appointed attorney for this case. Please keep an eye out in your inbox as I will be contacting you to schedule a meeting to discuss your appeal.

Thank you.

Respectfully,

Judith Mason
    State Attorney
Darby Adler
ECRP Forum Name:

Post by Darby Adler »

• Counsel,

I think discussions have been continued long enough. Are you wanting the Court to proceed? Are you asking for damages? If so, please can you and your client provide a breakdown as to quantum so the State and the Court knows your position clearly. I am happy to dispose of this matter in Chambers in person if you wish.

Also, do we have someone representing the State in this matter to make representations on it's behalf? I want to get this matter underway.

• Your Sincerely,

Honorable Darby Adler
    Appellate Judge
    San Andreas Government
Hank Holt
ECRP Forum Name: dilqui9

Post by Hank Holt »

• Your Honor,

I am the counselor for LSPD. I'm still waiting for the notice of action for statements I sent to Judge Hyland for both Deputy Chief of Police Xoxa Shadow and Police Detective III Samuele Colonna (Commanding Officer for LSPD's Firearms Licensing Division). If you'd like, I can either resend the emails to you or make my requests public here on this docket, whichever you'd prefer.

Throughout these whole proceedings, I've been under the impression that both counsels should restrict themselves from speaking with PD/SD directly, and only communicate through Notices of Action. That has slowed down information gathering from my end, at least initially. While normally I would be able to freely communicate with my client as an individual officer, the issue in this suit is that it's not so much against a single officer but the whole department. That makes my ability to get information from my own client difficult. Nevertheless, once the two notices of action I'm referring to get answered I should have everything I need.

• Respectfully,

Hank Holt
    State Attorney
Judith Mason
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name: Judge Judy

SAJB Awards

Post by Judith Mason »

• Your Honor,

My client is seeking the removal of the appealed charges from his record, the reinstatement of his firearms license, a public apology from the Los Santos Police Department, and damages in the amount of $10,000 for fines levied on my client and lost time/investment for the preparation of the festival that was ultimately cancelled due to complications arising from the arrest.

We would be happy to discuss this matter further in Chambers.

Thank you, Your Honor.

Respectfully,

Judith Mason
    State Attorney
Darby Adler
ECRP Forum Name:

Post by Darby Adler »

• [mention]Judith Mason[/mention] [mention]Hank Holt[/mention]

Counsel,

If both Counsel for the Claimant and Respondent are happy to, I would like to meet later today in Chambers to hear submissions relating to any preliminary matters you feel need to be dealt with, as well as set a loose timetable as we continue to trial. Ideally, I would like this to take no longer than another week or so.

((Send me a message on discord #Beet 1010 if you want when you are free to meet. If you are both free 9pm UTC today, that would be ideal. We can always liaise as needs be!))

Let me know your availability.

• Your Sincerely,

Honorable Darby Adler
    Appellate Judge
    San Andreas Government
Bret Hyland
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name:

Post by Bret Hyland »

• Judge Adler.

This case is already under my review, I ask that you leave this case to myself as I have already done extensive report and information collection, and have been working with the attorneys in getting the information they require for their cases.

• From

Honorable Bret Hyland
    Judge
    San Andreas Government
Bret Hyland
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name:

Post by Bret Hyland »

Form 3.0.5 - Issuance of Verdict

ISSUANCE OF VERDICT - 21-06-26-AP-001

IN THE APPEALS COURT OF SAN ANDREAS

Seth Blackwood Vs Los Santos Police Department
21-06-26-AP-001

A verdict was entered in the above case on the 2nd day of October, 2021.
  • The case of 21-06-26-AP-001 - Seth Blackwood Vs State has hereby been resolved.

Both Parties are hereby notified that the Appeal of the following charges has been denied. The charges applied are found to be valid and appropriately placed. The Appealante will face no additional sentencing or Fines.

• CHARGES BEING APPEALED: GM #3 Possession of a Blade,
      WM #04 Possession of Illegal Body Armor

Associate Justice Bret Hyland
    Appealante Court
    San Andreas Government

Return to “SAJB - Archived Appeal Cases”