Sheriff's Newsletter - February 2024

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Amelia Clark
Lieutenant
ECRP Forum Name: Tenbae

LSSD Awards

Sheriff's Newsletter - February 2024

Post by Amelia Clark »

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

Monthly Newsletter
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

Sheriff Bobby Kirk

MESSAGE FROM THE SHERIFF
    Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    We are now on the first day of the third month of this year and time is moving faster than ever. Since the new year, we have worked hard to improve our internal procedures and divisions, including ensuring the well-being and safety of our field staff. We are also glad to see the renovations done to Paleto Bay and the support our local businesses have received from our government and other investors.

We are currently seeing a negative trend in deputy-involved shootings and general violence toward Law Enforcement Officers throughout the whole state and it is time that we turn the situation around. Behind every badge, there is an individual with a family waiting at home and a willingness to make Los Santos a better and safer place to live.

Moving forward, we will continue our internal efforts to ensure that all our field staff are receiving the same training, experience, and support they need to be able to fulfill the expectations and tasks they set out to do. Together we can set a stand against violence and work to ensure that everyone gets home safe every night, deputies, officers, and civilians alike.

Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    -
    -
    -
    -
DEPUTY OF THE MONTH

• Deputy Sheriff I Clay Thompson
    Deputy Sheriff I Clay Thompson joined the Los Santos Sheriff's Department after successfully passing Academy #82. Looking past his short tenure within the Sheriff's Department, Deputy Thompson has proven himself to be a trustworthy and engaged member of our field staff. We are proud to appoint him the Deputy of the Month of February 2024 and we wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I joined the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department in late January 2024 during the recruitment drive when they were accepting walk-in interviews, through that I was accepted into the Academy which I excitedly completed the next day when it was held. From there I was a Trainee in the Sheriff's Department working through my training.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    My favorite thing about being a Deputy is the sense of responsibility and duty that comes with it. Often people will come to you for help or guidance when on the job whether it be a simple question or they’re in dire need of help we are trained to assist them however they need it which they are always very thankful for. Going out of my way to help others is something that I’ve always strived for in Los Santos and when on duty as a Deputy I’m able to do just that!

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    My most memorable moment as a Deputy so far would have to be my real first pursuit as a Trainee where I was the lead unit. I was pursuing an evading vehicle in my cruiser and they were hauling tail down the road, going off road doing whatever they could to shake me. At one point we were in the canals when I accidentally hit a bump, my cruiser was slightly airborne and I nearly flipped but luckily I landed on all four wheels and was able to quickly keep focused on the vehicle until they crashed shortly after and were apprehended.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    Being from Texas it was a no-brainer to join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department. I enjoy being in the City but I definitely would rather live and spend my time out in the County where I feel more at home, in my own environment. Another big factor in my decision to join the Sheriff's Department was the previous interactions I had with other Deputies while I was on shift at my other Jobs or just out in general, where every Deputy was always very friendly, helpful, and always left me with a positive outlook on the Sheriff’s Department.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    I would say since I joined the Sheriff's Department, the greatest feeling I’ve had as a Deputy is the thanks we receive and how grateful people can be when we arrive to assist on a call. Being a Deputy can be a thankless job as we’re moving from scene to scene working hard to maintain order so when someone is thanking us and is generally appreciative of our efforts it can go a long way and mean a lot.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    In two months I hopefully see myself as a Deputy Sheriff II with the Sheriff’s Department and working under the Special Enforcement Division which is my current goal within the department.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    I have a few different jobs around the City so when I have free time outside of work I like to enjoy it with my Friends down at Pillbox or the Pier as well as hanging out with my Girlfriend, catching up, and having a good laugh. I’ll often drive around the state looking for something to do or people to hang out with and go on an adventure to find some fun.
    I’m also an avid hunter and love spending time on the mountains, following trails, and hunting down prey that I’m able to fill my fridges with for some amazing BBQ.

DIVISION SPOTLIGHT
  • Advanced Training Division

The Advanced Training Division is a division within the Office of Administrative Operations and is run by Commanding Officer Captain Trent Williams and Assistant Commanding Officer Captain Dante Archer. ATD has placed its focus inwards on the department and is responsible for providing in-depth training for our field staff. Whilst most of the training is between a certified Advanced Training Instructor and the Deputy, they also hold department-wide sessions with different focuses such as traffic stops, active shooter events, and advanced pursuit training. We are excited to highlight the Advanced Training Division as this is an area of the department that is not publicly visible.

What are the main objectives of your division?
    The main objectives of ATD are to train employees of the department on specialized firearms, vehicles, and everyday skills that we employ to do our jobs to the best of our abilities.

What types of vehicles and weapons does your division certify?
    We offer certifications for SMG, Carbine Rifle, Pump Shotgun, Tactical SMG, High-Speed Motorcycles, Kamacho, Jugular, and Brickades.

What is your favorite part about being a member of your division?
    I love being a part of ATD because I get to assist people in getting certifications for vehicles and weapons in the ranks that they worked so hard to achieve!

What is the best accomplishment you have earned in your division?
    My best accomplishment so far has been working with all the lovely employees below me in the division and watching over and supervising their work.

How many employees of the LSSD are members of your division?
    25 members within ATD Command, Instructors, and Trainee Instructors

Are there any memorable moments this month related to your division that you can share?
    A main memorable moment was working with the excellent field staff employees on a close-quarters combat training session and watching them start from no experience at all, and get to a place of confidence while employing tactics in close quarters.

-
DEPUTY SPOTLIGHT

• Investigator I April Harlowe
    Investigator I Harlowe transferred from the Bone County Sheriff's Department on the 27th of December 2024 and has since her arrival become a member of various divisions such as the Recruitment and Employment Division, Advanced Training Division, Field Training Division, Air Support Division, and the Robbery & Homicide section within the Sheriffs Investigation Bureau. During her time within the department, she has proven to be a hard-working and determined employee and we are excited to see where the future may bring her.

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I joined the Sheriff's Department on 27th December after I transferred from Bone County. I had spent a few years in Bone County working my way to become an Investigator and was given the golden opportunity to transfer to Los Santos after I had to move for personal reasons.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    100% the people. I love my colleagues more than anything and I fully believe I wouldn't be where I am today without them. The LSSD is full of friendly faces who are more than happy to help you with anything you need, I never feel like I'm alone in any problem I face.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    As an investigator, I come across all kinds of people and scenes. My most memorable moment has to be being promoted to Investigator. It has been the pinnacle of my career joining SIB and I see nothing but amazing opportunities ahead of me.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    I joined the LSSD due to my move to Los Santos from Bone County, but before that, I applied to become a deputy back in 2021 for only one reason: I was lost. Every leaf I tried to turn in my life led to nothing, or I never felt whole. I took a leap of faith and completely changed my career path - from studying to become a nurse to joining the Bone County Sheriff's Department's Academy to become a Deputy. It was a significant shift in my career, and I never thought I'd go down this route, but here we are. I finally feel at home in this career path, and I'm the happiest I've been in forever.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    The greatest feeling about being a deputy, especially an investigator, is finally seeing a case come to a close. To see all the hard work each investigator, crime scene technician, and deputy has put into a case finally conclude by bringing justice to those in need, it's such an empowering feeling!

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    I've recently shown a great interest in becoming a Supervisor, and have started getting into Administrative work to contribute more to the inner workings of the department, I hope in the next two months I will have started working towards my goal of becoming a supervisor, potentially joining the Supervisor Training Program and working on the next steps of my career.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    After recently joining the K9 unit, I absolutely love spending time with my dog, Oskur. He adores the trail on Mount Gordo, so I tend to spend a lot of time there, taking Oskur on long walks, playing fetch, and giving him time to swim in the lake. Beyond my adventures with Oskur, I spend the rest of my off-duty time with my wonderful other half, Lily. Together with Oskur and Lily, my off-duty experiences are enriched with love, laughter, and a deep sense of belonging in this city.

-
PROMOTIONS

• Image Lieutenant ► Image Captain
    • Dante Archer
    Image Sergeant
    • Alexander Olsson (Reinstatement)
    Image Master Deputy ► Image Corporal
    • Leif Helgarson
    Image Investigator I ► Image Investigator I (SiT)
    • Hugo Hernandez
    Image Master Deputy ► Image Investigator I
    • Jamie Snow
    Image Deputy Sheriff III ► Image Master Deputy
    • Harvey Sutherland
    Image Deputy Sheriff II ► Image Deputy Sheriff III
    • James Valor
    Image Deputy Sheriff I ► Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Jack Handley
    • Harbanz Chadda
    • Brian Bentley
    • William Club
    Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Leonardo Harris (Reinstatement)
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee ►Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Marbella Amara
    • Clay Thompson
    • Arnold Rimmer
    • Anisa Tyr
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee
    • Alejandro Sainz (Reinstatement)

-
MONTHLY STATISTICS

QUESTION OF THE MONTH
  • What helps keep you motivated to stay in the line of duty?
  • Deputy Sheriff III Greg Devine wrote:I am motivated to stay in the line of duty to protect the children.

We often see people speeding on Senora Freeway and I am always worried that one day a baby is going to break free from their home and crawl onto the roadway. I always ask the driver of speeding vehicles, "What if a baby crawled in front of your vehicle" Mostly they think I am joking or say that the baby should not be on the freeway, but some, a small minority, reflect on their actions. They then understand the gravity of their ways and the potential consequences and they stop speeding.

Those people, the babies, that is why I am a Deputy and in the line of duty.
    Deputy Sheriff II Hendrix Pretorious wrote:What keeps me motivated in the Line of Duty is the hard work we all do as Deputies knowing that at the end of the day, we are keeping the County safe from Criminals and any bad things they are doing. I see speeding happening a lot along Senora Freeway. Our Hardworking Highway Enforcement stops this from happening which is not an easy task. Not only them but our Field Deputies meaning everyone in the Department. I am also a big person on Paperwork which personally I love to fill out. This Department is the backbone of the State for when it comes to protecting the County and this is a very big motivator to know that at the end of the day, you are not alone, there are other deputies with you and if at any point you are alone, then we live in a State which authorizes for a Joint Open Jurisdiction with PD if both Departments agree which is a big thing needed for when you are on the Line of Duty.

-
CLOSING MESSAGE
  • First and foremost, we wish to thank you for reading the February 2024 Newsletter. February has been a little quieter than normal as we have focused on our divisions, trainees, and internal adjustments and improvements. I am excited to announce that our very own Sheriff's Information Division has received a complete facelift and more on this will be announced shortly!

Currently, our recruitment is OPEN and we would recommend having a look at our Job Opportunities section on the public website to see if you meet the requirements to apply and become a member of our team!
CONTACT INFORMATION

Commanding Officer Amelia Clark
    (909) 474-8130 — [email protected]

Communications Assistant Trent Williams
    (909) 523-6686 — [email protected]

Public Relations Strategist Oj Wood
    (909) 452-3997 — [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909
Image Lieutenant Amelia Clark