[ROLEPLAY FEEDBACK] Escalating SD Supression vs Lost MC - 15/SEPT/2023 to Current Day

Rickard Wilde
ECRP Forum Name: Rickard_Wilde

[ROLEPLAY FEEDBACK] Escalating SD Supression vs Lost MC - 15/SEPT/2023 to Current Day

Post by Rickard Wilde »

Roleplay Feedback

1. What's your player name? Rickard Wilde
2. Do you know any names of LSSD members involved in your situation? 0437 identified officer in charge, 20596 detained and frisked, 8543 searched bike, 17191 Commander Olson, Sergeant Hunter
3. When did this situation occur? 09/OCT/2010-2130

4. Can you list down at least three good or bad things from our side in this situation?
  1. Sergeant Hunter did well, interacted well, and had great /dos - Junior officers were just doing what they were told, many of them are good roleplayers that arent allowed to interact with us due to their leadership scolding them for doing so. It has damaged friendships in many cases how interactions with us result in reprimands often based on lies/prejudice.
  2. A blanket stop and search for Blaine County along Joshua Road East and South, and a roadblock of the West bridge. All people passing were searched and individuals, no probable cause given, no ability for any involved officers to cite why. Commander Olson literally said; 'We dont need a reason to stop and search people.' I'm not certain any of the players have a passing familiarity with US or LA law.
  3. Total lack of RP, there is zero chance an action like this would fly in the US or Canada, or their GTA equivalents, it was hard enough to do at KAF in a warzone. Officers involved did not interact save to take IDs, pop out a dog cosmetic who did an 'air sniff', then the officers 'oocly' proceeded to search everything inside the vehicles and persons and make arrests if they oocly found something that would not give scents like unfired ammunition. This isnt RP, there was no interaction. It isnt fun to deal with an abuse of power and rights so wildly unrealistic as a dog walked around a car smelling the unfired gun in the closed boot of a vehicle, inside of a suitcase. There's a closer scent if you've got a dog that magical, and its on the hip of the officer and every other officer milling around. The criteria for search and seizure is not followed, blanket search of a County is wild powergaming.
5. Can you list down at least three good or bad things from your side in this situation?
  1. People did their best to comply and RP amongst themselves. Had a lot of time to smoke and joke about how our time was being wasted. Two hours, I was personally detained on two occasions, and searched four times. My bike was searched three times. Not once was a cause given. This is on a character who has no criminal charges and has been trying to improve relations with SD.
  2. Note the above did not include any of the attending officers, as they would flee from the vicinity after they had searched someone because they did not know how to justify other than a blanket 'Highway Enforcement, we can do what we want' on a DIRT ROAD.
  3. After SD withdrew we were able to continue our RP rather quickly, and had more IC reasons to pursue justice for SD overreach.
6. Can you provide an accurate description of the events that unfolded? (add any footage you may have to back any claims up)
Bearing in mind your officers attack people for IC recording, here's an ooc one; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMwqcBekHgo&t=2s

This is the standard of RP we get from SD players. Note the laughing officers, the refusal to provide information to be held accountable, the gun shoved in the face of a compliant unarmed man who represented no threat to the dozens of officers present, and the shrill unprofessionalism of the officer who represents the standard we are treated with. Daily. For context I worked for the RCMP for 2 years before joining the military, I can assure you no station would accept this standard of conduct. One higher on the threat wheel of a compliant man you outnumber is not an MP5. The IRL equivalent of SED have a HIGHER STANDARD OF CONDUCT than the rank and file. It is not fun for us as players to be getting screeched at or treated this way to feed a power trip.

7. What would you have done differently from both the perspective of SD and your own?
We would very much like to RP more. Even adversarial RP that doesnt involve Powergaming and 'ooc' searches endorsed by SD leadership would be wonderful. We would very much like to be allowed to RP with an investigation that prompted this kind of response. God what I wouldnt give to talk to a detective! We know the Meta involved with the shaving of the kidnapped officer. Clappers shoot up Blaine County daily and the officer was unharmed. You have bigger fish to fry, but even then, hey lets consider having a talk? Generally ignoring US Law to troll and powergame doesnt make it fun to RP with your faction. Our evening was wasted, and now I have to write up another five IC IA reports.

8. What are you hoping to accomplish by sending this feedback to us?
Understand that we are exhausted of the double standard. We rp plenty, have a lot going on and a lot of interacting to do on things that matter to us. No, not crime, MC RP. We are not clappers, period. We have a charter, and lore to that effect. Our written objective is to avoid negative interactions with SD, but your own leadership dont care to learn in the slightest about the only large faction in their jurisdiction. I would LOVE to share it.

I have been trying for ten months to lower the toxicity between Lost and SD only to have SD leadership punish people for RPing with us. Let them be people. Robots are not interesting. I'm sure you have all kinds of interesting characters who I would like to meet, but SD has been behaving straight up toxic and using Meta knowledge to blame the actions of a couple members on the entire faction. I for one dont want my whole play time wasted on an SD power trip, many of us are bored of it. I would hope to see improvement and engagement from SD, and not snide comments while you drive off. We will ensure our members maintain a high standard, consider engaging? Your faction has 75 people, ours tops out at 30 and we only have 25. We have a dozen cars lined up behind us at each stop. Does this sound even passingly realistic to you? W cops will W and charge stack, its why your characters are as disliked if not more disliked as their irl equivalents.

In parting I offer some light reading. Note that suppression tactics still must include enforcement of actual laws. Excerpt https://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/research/r161-eng.shtml;

Gang Suppression

This strategy shifts the focus from the causes of gang development to its most problematic characteristics: criminal behaviour. In the U.S., there have been literally hundreds of specialized modifications in law enforcement, prosecution, adjudication, intelligence gathering, and laws themselves targeting gang-related crime. Suppression tactics include tactical patrols by law enforcement, vertical prosecution by District Attorney's and intensive supervision by probation departments (Fritsch, Caeti, & Taylor, 1999). In general it includes the arrest, prosecution, and incarceration of gang members. Suppression tactics have also taken the form of “crackdowns”, sharp increases in law enforcement resources applied to the previously under-enforced laws, with a clear goal of enhancing general deterrence of the misconduct (Fritsch et al., 1999; Sherman, 1990). Although crackdowns at first appear to be effective, they are frequently followed by a return to pre-intervention levels of crime (Sherman, 1990).

Not all gang suppression programs have taken the form of crackdowns. Some programs, such as the Operation Safe Streets program in Los Angeles, have adopted a technique in which only hard-core gang members are targeted (Fritsch et al., 1999). Others, such as the Tri-Agency Resource Gang Enforcement Team (TARGET) in Westminster, California have focused on information sharing and intelligence gathering to identify, arrest, and successfully prosecute gang members (Cook, 1993).

The effectiveness of suppression programs is unknown as they have not been rigorously evaluated to this point. However, most studies of areas where gang suppression tactics have been used have not found a decrease in gang problems (Klein, 1995). One of the most unsuccessful examples of a police suppression program was Operation Hammer, based out of Los Angeles in 1988. In this program, approximately 1000 police officers took to the streets on a Friday night and again on Saturday arresting likely gang members on a number of offences. In total, 1,454 arrests were made. However, 1,350 of those arrested were later released with no formal charges being filed (Fritsch et al., 1999). Almost half of those arrested were not gang members. In the end, only 60 felony arrests were made and charges were filed in only 32 instances (Spergel, 1995). Furthermore, following these sweeps it was noted that not only did hundreds of youths join gangs, but citizens actually began to sympathize with them (Stinchcomb, 2002).

Bobby Kirk
Sheriff
ECRP Forum Name:

LSSD Awards

Re: [ROLEPLAY FEEDBACK] Escalating SD Supression vs Lost MC - 15/SEPT/2023 to Current Day

Post by Bobby Kirk »

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

• [ROLEPLAY FEEDBACK] Escalating SD Supression vs Lost MC - 15/SEPT/2023 to Current Day

Hello! First and foremost, I'd like to clarify that the roleplay feedback is not meant to accuse anyone of breaking rules. If you suspect any instances of metagaming, please consider submitting a player report on our forums. Alternatively, if you believe the entire faction is involved, feel free to contact Legal Faction Management. It's not feasible for me to justify actions as metagaming, especially because I try to make a great effort to not have my members talk about IC situations OOCly.

Our faction has built a reputation over the years for a laid-back approach and for adapting to various criminal activities. However, it's important to remember that we also roleplay as a government agency, specifically a law enforcement agency, so our laid-back approach can only apply to so much. For your faction in particular, Lost MC and SD have coexisted for quite some time without major issues. Lost MC is an older faction that has undergone leadership changes, and our interactions have generally been limited to an in-character video taunt a few years ago and the occasional run-ins In Character.

The actions you're encountering in character are a reaction to the increasing violence and harassment directed at the Sheriff's Department. We don't randomly decide who to suppress; it's a thorough in-character process that undergoes judicial review before approval - and there needs to be a case for it. While real-life references can be made, our server environment is not an exact replica of reality. It has evolved and adapted to the server's unique environment since 2017. If it were a 1:1 copy of reality, there would be more concerns than just the Sheriff's Department.

I also find it interesting that you mention charge stacking and accusing the Sheriff's Department of doing so. I want to reiterate that we maintain a reputable charging policy and will continue to do so. This doesn't mean we can't charge players with the crimes they've committed. If a player believes the charges are unjust, they can use in-character processes like the Court of Appeals.
    but SD has been behaving straight up toxic and using Meta knowledge to blame the actions of a couple members on the entire faction.
    If a couple members of your factions does activities together, it is going to reflect back on your faction In Character. There are ways to solve this entire situation, but it's up to you guys to decide on that In Character.
    Generally ignoring US Law to troll and powergame doesnt make it fun to RP with your faction.
    We do not enforce US law on this server, we have our own law and our own modified constitution. I go back to the point of this not being a 1:1 replica, that was a goal we worked towards as Server Management in 2017, but quickly realized that it wasn't possible and will never be possible due to the environment.
    I would hope to see improvement and engagement from SD, and not snide comments while you drive off. We will ensure our members maintain a high standard, consider engaging?
    This is a In Character choice that we've made after experiencing members trying to bait Internal Affairs Reports, and harass our deputies by screaming at them and insulting them, all to what we believe is to bait reactions. SD has in the past proven that we're not against engaging in social RP, we even sent out invites to the Lost MC BBQ a few months ago for our members to attend if they wanted to, but the escalating violence and behavior towards members (In Character) have caused this environment!

From an Out of Character perspective, I genuinely want players to enjoy their time on the server and the game - and Lost MC I feel is important to the roleplay in the county, and it's a faction that has stood for a very long time. However, it's crucial to remember that we are still a roleplay server, and actions have consequences. Similar to real-world law enforcement, the Sheriff's Department is reactionary and aims to establish in-character dominance to maintain order.

If you'd like an OOC recommendation from me as a Faction Leader and a long-term staff member, I suggest finding ways to lay low in character, refrain from escalating conflicts (as we react to such situations as you now have experienced), and avoid giving investigators further reasons to build a case against your faction.

Moving forward, we really don't have any interest in taking this situation Out of Character, if you feel that we are abusing our OOC power, or that we're in any shape or form breaking rules (such as Non-RP), please submit appropriate reports against my members or contact Legal Factions Management. We just want the situation to be In Character and as natural as possible! However, how the situation plays out is really in the hands of Lost MC.

Thanks!

• From

Sheriff Bobby Kirk
Sheriff Bobby Kirk
A Tradition of Service

Return to “(( Archive ))”