Sheriff’s Newsletter - August 2023

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Amelia Clark
Lieutenant
ECRP Forum Name: Tenbae

LSSD Awards

Sheriff’s Newsletter - August 2023

Post by Amelia Clark »

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

Monthly Newsletter
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

Sheriff Bobby Kirk

MESSAGE FROM THE SHERIFF
    Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    Looking back on August, it reaffirms both my and the Department's commitment to uphold our service to the community to the fullest extent of the law. This month's involvement in our internal and external workings with other entities, much of it regarding high-profile events, has spotlighted how this Department continues to work correctly in our position within a larger system of Government. The cooperation among agencies and branches of the government has always been fruitful, yet highlighting recent events, it was put to a constitutional and legal stress test.

Despite this, we know that a few bad apples do not spoil the bunch, and this is shown in our continued efforts to uphold a strong level of openness and communication with all branches, especially those working for the Justice Department. We have and continue to work within our capacity to uphold the penal code for all citizens, regardless of their position, employment, or status. I am proud of each and every member of our Department for serving this community without bias, agenda, or preference, showing that no person, be it one of our own or in another position, is above the law of the State of San Andreas.

I personally want to give thanks to our Sheriff's Investigation Bureau this month. Through thick and thin, they have worked diligently, under intense scrutiny, meeting resistance at every turn, yet unwavering in their commitment to equal justice. They shined through internal and external legal proceedings, assuring everyone that we would not be intimidated or back down in our pursuit of justice. They showcase to all citizens of Los Santos that our values and workings are unwavering, transparent, and within the authority and scope of our Department. We look forward to continued cooperation with all branches of government and the new Inspector General to uphold the integrity and ethics inherent in the Constitution and penal code for all.

While I have said my peace in many venues this month, I want to assure all residents of Los Santos that the Department remains steadfast in its commitment to uphold the integrity and service to the law and people of this fine state that we have built our values on. We continue forth with even more vigor and unwavering dedication to serving the community, maintaining the integrity of our employees, and keeping open transparency in our actions, both internally and externally, to the fullest extent possible. As September comes upon us, I want to thank our Deputies and citizens for the continued trust and support they have shown in the law, our Department, and the Government as a whole.

Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    -
    -
    -
    -
DEPUTY OF THE MONTH

• Deputy Sheriff II Dylan Chapple
    The award and recognition for the Deputy of the Month this August goes with high regard to Deputy Sheriff II Dylan Chapple. Deputy Chapple recently joined the Los Santos Sheriff's Department just this past June and has shined ever since. She quickly made her way through the Field Training Program, excelling in her commitment and diligence in learning the materials and protocols. She quickly became a Deputy Sheriff I on the 28th of July, less than a month and a half after her Academy.

Throughout this time, she continued to show her dedication to the Department, being extremely diligent in her fieldwork and paperwork while always carrying a cheerful and happy demeanor. Deputy Chapple recently achieved the position of Deputy Sheriff II on the 27th of August, also showcasing her excellence this month. We are delighted to give her this distinction and look forward to watching this rising star continue to shine as she continues her career.

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I joined the Los Santos County Sheriff’s Department on June 12th, 2023.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    My favorite thing about being a deputy at the Los Santos Sheriff’s Department is probably the interaction I get with the Public and being able to help individuals in need.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    My most memorable moment while serving as a deputy would be using the skills I learned in MD and being able to apply them to victims who have more intensive injuries and due to those MD skills, I am able to treat them more intensely than someone who may not be able to.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    I became a deputy of Los Santos Sherrif’s department to help people and provide comfort and care for others.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    The greatest feeling about being a deputy is being able to help people in need and being able to use the skills that I learned in MD to apply them to other workforces.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    Where I see myself in the Los Santos Sheriff’s Department two months from now is to hopefully be a Master Deputy and be in the SIB unit as well as the K9 unit. I want to strive to make myself a better person and I believe being in this department is the way I will be able to.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    I love reading outside of work and spending time with my friends. I also enjoy spending time with my dog!

HOW TO: LAW ENFORCEMENT
  • HOW TO: LAW ENFORCEMENT

Here are some essential tips for safe and respectful dealings with law enforcement. Master staying composed, understanding your rights, and fostering encouragement to enhance community safety.

1. Stay Calm and Respectful:
    If you encounter law enforcement officers, remain calm and respectful. Follow their instructions and avoid any confrontational behavior, even if you feel the situation is unjust. - You will get a chance to report it.

2. Comply with Commands:
    Follow their instructions promptly and without resistance. If asked to provide identification or step out of your vehicle, do so in a non-threatening manner.

3. Keep Hands Visible:
    During interactions with law enforcement, keep your hands visible at all times. This helps officers feel more at ease and reduces the likelihood of misunderstanding.

4. Inform About Weapons:
    If you have a weapon (firearm, knife, etc.) in your possession, inform them immediately and follow their instructions on how to proceed.

5. Do Not Argue on the Spot:
    If you believe your rights are being violated, do not argue or resist on the spot. Comply with the officer's instructions and address any concerns later through proper channels. - An IA report.

6. Know Your Rights:
    Familiarize yourself with your legal rights, such as the right to remain silent, and the right to an attorney. Use these rights appropriately.

7. Don't Run:
    Avoid running from law enforcement, as this can escalate the situation and lead to unnecessary danger for everyone involved.

8. Stay in the Vehicle:
    If you're pulled over while driving, stay in your vehicle unless instructed otherwise. Keep your hands on the steering wheel where they can be seen.

9. File a Complaint if Necessary:
    If you believe you were treated unfairly by law enforcement, file a complaint with the appropriate agency. Most police departments have procedures for addressing such concerns.

10. Avoid Escalation:
    Your goal should be to de-escalate the situation. Avoid using aggressive language, making sudden movements, or behaving in a confrontational manner.

11. Report Suspicious Activity:
    It's important to report any suspicious activities or crimes you witness to law enforcement. You can do this anonymously if you're concerned about your safety.

Remember, these tips are meant to help ensure safe interactions between law enforcement and the public. Cooperation, respect, and understanding are key to maintaining a positive interaction during encounters with law enforcement officers.

-
DEPUTY SPOTLIGHT

• Deputy Sheriff III Dave Spencer
    For this month we shine the spotlight on one of our more senior members - Deputy Sheriff III Dave Spencer. Deputy Spencer is a role model to many and has experience with many divisions within the Los Santos Sheriff's Department. Initially joining the Department at the beginning of 2022, Deputy Spencer has been a member of the Gang Field Unit, Air Support Division, Recruitment and Employment Division, Field Training Division, Special Enforcement Division, and Highway Enforcement Division. He is currently very active in the latter, putting in a great amount of time and effort that exemplifies the Department.

Deputy Spencer is currently extremely active within the Highway Enforcement Division with his primary assignment being the North Patrol Division. His extremely active role within the Patrol Divisions shines daily as he is always up for an assignment. Deputy Spencer is always actively assisting in a multitude of tasks, from taking out trainees, helping plan and execute divisional duties, and conducting his field duties with a dedication to detail and impeccable service that does not go unnoticed.

Deputy Spencer's drive to assist the Department in many fashions with a kind and helpful demeanor stands out from others and allows the values of the Department to shine through the community. We look forward to the direction and guidance Deputy Spencer continues to give and his continued excellence. The Department thanks him for his incredible service to the community and continued effort to go above and beyond to help others.

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I first joined the Sheriff's Department on Friday 28th January 2022

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    This is a difficult question as there are many benefits to being a deputy. I would have to say my favorite thing is the proud and honorable feelings you get when concluding a situation or debriefing from a situation. The feeling you get when you know you've done your job to the best of your ability and served your county effectively can not be described. It's a truly amazing moment

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    After many calls, pursuits, and situations I will never forget the time with former Deputy Louise Hoffman and how I saved her life. We were chasing a Kamacho up Mount Chilliad that had four, heavily armed gang members and I was behind Hoffman in a Scout as well as her. I think we were in the middle of the pursuit line when Deputy Hoffman hit a foreign object (a stone or a tree root) and went tumbling down the mountain. Nobody had heard Deputy Hoffman's cry for help and carried on chasing the suspect except for me. I raced down the mountain, got to the cruiser, treated Deputy Hoffman on a cliff face, and rushed her to the hospital. After this incident, Deputy Hoffman was out of commission for a while but I felt pride in knowing that I potentially saved her life that day.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    This is definitely a no-brainer question for me, I've wanted to join law enforcement since I was 7 years old when I started watching TV shows about the Sheriff's Department. I studied the show and set my eyes on the goal. The respect, the responsibilities, and the unforgettable moments on a day-to-day basis with not only colleagues but also friends. That's why I became a deputy.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    As I said the honor and pride you have when you clock off or finish a situation knowing you've given it your all and you've done your job to the best of your ability. That's the greatest feeling in my opinion.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    I would like to see myself somewhere in the supervisory team of the Highway Enforcement Division. I have a lot of passion for HED and it definitely needs some help which I am willing to give. Our highways are so dangerous and it's really important to make sure they are kept safe as high-speed vehicles on a highway lead to trouble. As a reinstated Deputy I would like to take on the responsibility and focus my efforts on making the Highway Enforcement Division as good as it can be.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    Outside of the Sheriff's Department, I enjoy driving along the Great Ocean Highway and enjoying the view. It's truly a magical scenery, with plenty of places to stop and admire the beauty that is Mother Nature.
    -
PROMOTIONS

• Image Sergeant ► Image Investigator II
    • Bert Martin
    Image Master Deputy ► Image Corporal
    • Huw Parry (Reinstatement)
    • Tom Brown
    Image Master Deputy ► Image Investigator I
    • Messiah Young
    • Hugo Hernandez
    Image Deputy Sheriff III ► Image Master Deputy
    • Aaron Marks (Reinstatement)
    Image Deputy Sheriff II ► Image Deputy Sheriff III
    • Scott Pierce (Reinstatement)
    • Heath Tegans (Transfer)
    Image Deputy Sheriff I ► Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • David Mathews
    • Dylan Chapple
    • Leif Helgarson
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee ►Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Al Hollyrock
    • Brittany Wojciechowski

-
MONTHLY STATISTICS

QUESTION OF THE MONTH
  • What advice do you have for someone new to the force?
  • Deputy Sheriff III Baron Faust wrote:I would say that the most important thing to remember when first joining the force is that we serve the public. Everything we do and need to do is in the public's interest. Remember that and you will become a great law enforcement officer.
    Investigator I Messiah Young wrote:Don't take anything personally. You'll encounter a lot of people who aren't happy about a number of things. In the end, do your job and use common sense.
    Deputy Sheriff II Dylan Chapple wrote:Something I would tell people who are coming into this career is, that it is perfectly okay to make mistakes. We all make mistakes and nobody is perfect. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I also would say that it can be hard coming into a group of people who already feel like they have a family. It can feel like you aren’t sure who to go to but you will find your closest friends maybe in a day or maybe in a month. And if you ask somebody to Sierra who seems scary normally they are some of the nicest and sweetest people so do not be afraid to go out there and meet new people.
    Deputy Sheriff III Trixie Bankshot wrote:My advice for someone new is to be patient! Walk before you try to run! Sometimes our new recruits see people on the field- flying helicopters and carrying big guns- and feel really excited and eager to be just like them. Too often are they disappointed to find out there is a lot of learning, testing, paperwork, and experience needed to get that far due to liability and safety, trust, and rank-related topics. A lot of people give up and quit after only a few days, uninterested in the road ahead. But if you keep your nose to the grindstone, learn every day, do what you can at the rank you're in, and really keep pushing, the wait will be over before you know it. It will be worth it!

-
CLOSING MESSAGE
  • First and foremost, I want to thank you for taking the time to read the August 2023 Press Release. Your support and engagement mean the world to us as we strive to keep you informed and connected with the happenings at the Los Santos Sheriff's Department. As we have stepped into the autumn season, we want to remind you of the importance of staying vigilant and proactive in ensuring the security of our neighborhoods. Together, through the partnership between law enforcement and our community, we can continue making Los Santos a place we are proud to call home.

We are excited to inform you that our recruitment status is currently OPEN. If you have ever dreamed of making a difference as a part of the Los Santos Sheriff's Department, now is the perfect opportunity. Our recruitment deputies are eagerly awaiting your application, and you can find more details in the Job Opportunities section on the Sheriff's Department public website.
CONTACT INFORMATION

Commanding Officer Amelia Clark
    (909) 474-8130 — [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909
Image Lieutenant Amelia Clark
Patrol Commander, North Patrol Division
Commanding Officer, Sheriff's Information Division
Commanding Officer, Field Training Division
Commanding Officer, Advanced Training Division