[PRESS RELEASE #20] A Miscarriage of Justice: The Termination of Attorney General Raven

Judicial Branch Public Relations
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name:

[PRESS RELEASE #20] A Miscarriage of Justice: The Termination of Attorney General Raven

Post by Judicial Branch Public Relations »

San Andreas Judicial Branch

A Miscarriage of Justice: The Termination of Attorney General Raven
"EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER LAW"

• Citizens of San Andreas,

The San Andreas Judicial Branch expresses its deep disappointment and strong disagreement with the recent decision made by Governor Lewis Langley to terminate Attorney General Cyrus Raven. This decision, which follows a witch hunt investigation, can be considered the largest miscarriage of justice in recent times and shows a significant setback for the principles of fairness and due process that are at the core of our legal system.

The Supreme Court of San Andreas firmly believes that the termination of Attorney General Raven was unwarranted and severely lacks substantial evidence. The allegations made against him, specifically his alleged affiliation with the Cartel and involvement in the kidnapping and murder of a government director that occurred earlier this year, are unsupported by all available facts. It is essential to remember that every individual is innocent until proven guilty, and the baseless public accusations made in the Executive Branch's Press Release #61 undermine the integrity of our legal system.

The decision to terminate Attorney General Raven appears to stem from a private meeting between Governor Langley and high ranking members of both law enforcement agencies. This decision has been reached without proper consideration of the due process rights that every citizen, including government officials, should enjoy. Furthermore, the San Andreas Judicial Branch notes, with concern, the denial of a warrant to access the former Attorney General's bank and phone records by two separate judges due to a lack of probable cause. Even after Attorney General Raven voluntarily gave consent to conduct a search and seizure of the requested records, no evidence was found linking him to the alleged criminal activities.

Attorney General Raven's prior associations with members of the Cartel were within the scope of his duties as the Chief Public Defender. The Code of Ethics that governs all bar-certified attorneys emphasizes an attorney's obligation to remain faithful to their client's interests. Mr. Raven's acceptance of LRC campaign donations from alleged members of the Cartel, which were disclosed appropriately and immediately, is in line with established legal practices.

Moreover, the circumstances leading to Attorney General Raven's termination appear to be connected to his diligent investigation of Undersheriff John Wallace for alleged criminal misconduct after receiving a criminal complaint from a citizen of San Andreas. In accordance with Section 6 of the Constitution, the Attorney General has a responsibility to investigate crimes committed by members of the public force and civil servants. His pursuit of justice appears to have been obstructed when he requested information from the Sheriff's Department and was met with refusal and interference, with documents still not having been released at the time of writing. This situation raised concerns about obstruction of justice and interference with lawful investigations, as highlighted by the GM14 statute. The retaliation he faced for fulfilling his constitutional commitment only adds to the unjust nature of his termination.

The Supreme Court of San Andreas asserts that the termination of Attorney General Raven is a blow to the principles of justice and accountability that our society holds dear. This unfortunate turn of events not only affects the reputation of the judicial system but also threatens the rights of every citizen to a fair and impartial process. It is truly disheartening that former Attorney General Raven was terminated for simply doing his job. A job he loved and that he took pride in since he joined the Judicial Branch about 14 months ago.

While we mourn this significant miscarriage of justice, the San Andreas Judicial Branch remains committed to rebuilding from these challenging circumstances. We will persist in our pursuit of justice and accountability for all, regardless of rank or title. We will pick up where former Attorney General Raven left off, no matter who holds the title of Attorney General, because nobody is above the law. Our dedication to upholding the rule of law and defending the rights of all citizens remains unwavering.

A statement from Former Attorney General Cyrus Raven regarding his recent termination:
    Former Attorney General Cyrus Raven wrote:

Former Attorney General
    Cyrus Raven
    It is with deep regret and concern that I address my termination as the Attorney General for the State of San Andreas. My tenure, aimed at promoting justice and transparency, has been marked by a series of events that have raised questions about the integrity of our Law Enforcement agencies and the sanctity of the judicial process.

From the very start of my appointment on July 9, 2023, I committed myself to building a healthy relationship between the Judicial Branch's Prosecution Division and law enforcement entities, particularly the Los Santos Police Department and the Los Santos Sheriff’s Department. My goal was to ensure unbiased, fair, and transparent legal proceedings, upholding justice as the ultimate priority.

In the weeks that followed, I diligently reviewed all pending cases, excluding those which I had recused myself from, collaborated with prosecutors, and advocated for just resolutions based on the merits of each case. However, my efforts to foster open communication and cooperation were met with regular resistance. A pattern emerged where my requests for evidence and information were met with unproductive responses, unprofessional behavior, and a failure to engage constructively in resolving differences.

One pivotal moment came on the 15th of July, 2023, when a Deputy Chief of Police responded dismissively to a formal Court Information Request. This incident, coupled with subsequent exchanges, indicated a growing lack of interest in building a collaborative relationship. Despite my persistent attempts to maintain an open line of communication, the challenges continued to mount.

A critical turning point arrived on the 11th of August, 2023, when an allegation of excessive force by Undersheriff John Wallace was brought to my attention. The ensuing investigation revealed a series of events that raised grave concerns about the conduct of law enforcement officials. As the Attorney General, it was my constitutional duty to initiate a criminal investigation. However, I was only met with resistance in obtaining vital evidence, including body-camera footage and internal affairs files from the very same agencies who swore an oath to uphold the law.

The culmination of these events led to my administrative leave, a decision that left me baffled and concerned about the integrity of the system. The subsequent termination by Governor Lewis Langley, based on unfounded allegations and a lack of evidence, raises serious questions about the independence of the judicial branch and the preservation of justice itself when an individual can make decisions unilaterally absent input from the head of the Judicial Branch. Furthermore, the timing of these events unquestionably aligned with my investigation into Undersheriff John Wallace.

I believe that the citizens of San Andreas deserve a legal system that operates with transparency, fairness, and accountability. My commitment to these principles remains unwavering, even in the face of these challenges. While I am no longer in a position of authority, I implore all involved to reflect on the events that have transpired and to ensure that justice prevails over personal interests. I have been accused of corruption yet no criminal charges has been brought forward. I unequivocally deny this accusation in full, I invite any government agency to publish any and all material against me in this matter.

It is my sincere hope that these events will serve as a catalyst for positive change within our law enforcement agencies and government institutions. Our democracy thrives when all branches work in harmony, holding each other accountable and upholding the rule of law. I remain committed to these ideals and will continue to advocate for justice and transparency in whatever capacity I can.

Associate Justice
(909) 402-9713 — [email protected]

Chief Justice
(909) 257-9183 — [email protected]

Public Relations Division
Rockford Hills City Hall, Carcer Way,
Metro Los Santos, SA

Return to “SAJB - Public Releases”