Sheriff’s Newsletter - July 2023

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Amelia Clark
Lieutenant
ECRP Forum Name: Tenbae

LSSD Awards

Sheriff’s Newsletter - July 2023

Post by Amelia Clark »

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

Monthly Newsletter
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

Sheriff Bobby Kirk

MESSAGE FROM THE SHERIFF
    Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    With a heartfelt smile, I look back on July, excited about what we have accomplished and what the future may bring. The month has seen some excellent changes within the county and the Department, building a stronger, healthier, and safer community for everyone. Internally, advancements and adjustments have been made, and new equipment deployed, bringing new strength and adaptability to how our Department can continue to stop criminal violence and further bring peace and safety to our county.

The Department proudly received the Buffalo STX as part of its fleet this month, a versatile and agile vehicle allowing for faster response and better coverage county-wide. We also received internal upgrades to our armory, providing a safer means of defense for all our Deputies and the community they protect. I am excited to see how this new equipment will continue to bolster our response and overall service of keeping the peace as we move forward. With these changes, we see a brighter future as August comes upon us. I want to welcome Captain Joe Olson as the Interim Bureau Commander for Patrol Operations, as I welcome Commander Tyrone Balakay's transition from this position to Bureau Commander for the Office of the Sheriff.

With the arrival of the new, we also bid farewell to our beloved Detention and Parole Bureau. While the Bureau will always live on in our hearts, it was the best move for our Department, strengthening our other Bureaus and allowing us to focus on fortifying a brighter future for the Department moving forward. We are truly thankful to those past and present who served in this Bureau, and I'm glad to see them continuing to shine in their new assignments!

Moving forward into August, I am thrilled with our Department and all of our employees as we welcome the new changes. I encourage the public to be careful and vigilant as the summer peaks, and please do your best to stay hydrated and safe during these sweltering days. The Department will continue to do all it can to keep our county safe for everyone, displaying honor in service, integrity, and respect to all individuals. We thank everyone for their continued support.

Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    -
    -
    -
    -
DEPUTY OF THE MONTH

• Master Deputy Hugo Hernandez
    This Deputy of the Month for July goes to Master Deputy Hugo Hernandez; after being a Trainee for less than a month, he was promoted to Deputy Sheriff I on October 24th, 2022, and has continued his excellent work, recently promoted to his latest rank on January 4th, 2023. Deputy Hernandez is making his way up within the Sheriff's Investigation Bureau as a Crime Scene Technician after the closure of his role as an Agent in the Detention and Parole Bureau. He is extremely helpful when it comes to taking out trainees or assisting other units on scenes with a friendly and calm demeanor. This hard work doesn't go unnoticed, and for this, he is highly deserving of this award.

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I joined the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department on the 28th of September, 2022.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    My favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD is the multitude of opportunities it provides. There are so many different divisions within the department which allow deputies to branch out and find their place. Whether it be joining the special enforcement detail, specializing in tactical situations, or being a part of the air support division, providing overwatch for deputies below whilst taking in stunning views. Of course, I can't forget the sheriff's information division too, which provides amazing newsletters such as this one to the community. Whether you are just joining the department or have been within it for a long time, there are always options for deputies to find their place.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    I wouldn't say there was an exact moment but every moment I had whilst being a part of the Detention and Parole Bureau was truly unforgettable. The members apart of the bureau were remarkable. They helped reform the lives of many which was truly inspiring for me. The moments I had whilst hunting down wanted felons were an exhilarating and unforgettable experience. As part of a highly coordinated team, we faced many challenges along the way, which forged unbreakable bonds between us all. DPB was something I will never forget, hence why it is the most memorable moment I have had whilst serving as a deputy.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    I became a deputy for the LSSD because I wanted a change of pace in my life. Living the normal 9-5 office job was just not cutting it for me. I wanted a career path that kept me on my toes, which is where law enforcement caught my eye. Upon joining the department I knew straight away it was the place for me. The action-packed pursuits, the critical thinking, and to the people you positively impact from day to day is just truly incredible. Protecting and serving others became a deep-rooted sense for me, and it is that sense of purpose that keeps me motivated and proud to be a deputy every single day.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    The greatest feeling about being a deputy has to be knowing that there is always someone that has your back. No matter what crazy situation that might be going on, the thought of knowing that someone will have your back makes this job a lot more comforting. Whether it be getting involved with an action-packed shootout or a high-speed pursuit, just one call away and your feeling of safety skyrockets. There is just this unbreakable sense of unity within the department.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    I hope to see myself in the investigator training program, taking on larger cases and conducting more advanced investigative duties. My shift is rather peculiar so sometimes excelling in the department can be a struggle, but I like to do the best that I can, whenever I can.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    I don't do a whole lot outside of work, most of the time I just head home, wind down, and get ready for the next shift.

DIVISION SPOTLIGHT

• Sheriff's Information Division

The Sheriff's Information Division is a division in the Office of the Sheriff and is led by Commanding Officer Sergeant Amelia Clark and Assistant Commanding Officer Lieutenant Alex Schill and overseen by Commander Tyrone Balakay. The Sheriff's Information Division works closely with the public and internally by creating press releases and events, answering public information requests, and communicating with the media and citizens about situations the Sheriff's Department handles.

What is the purpose and mission of your division?
    The purpose of SID is primarily to inform deputies and the public of any upcoming plans, projects, or a bit of news we feel is worth sharing about our Department. Furthermore, it's an opportunity to bring attention to the great work done by the members of the department! That's why we do monthly spotlights on deputies and divisions, like this one.

How many employees of the LSSD is a member of your division?
    There are currently five members of SID!

Are there any statistics that you would like to share from your division?
    Statistically, there are 4 males for every 1 woman in the division. Not for any reason, just what happened. Other than that, the Sheriff's Information Division has released three press releases!

How has the progress of your division been during the month?
    In July the Office of the Sheriff received a new Commander to oversee the three divisions within, with SID being one of them. After the appointment, SID Command has worked hard to continue the rework to meet new goals such as internal certifications and relations to the media.

Did you meet any established goals during the month?
    Yes, Assigned press releases have been posted on due time and the cooperation between the divisional members has been good.

Do you have any established goals for the future?
    Moving forwards, the division wishes to focus on providing more frequent internal and public releases and communicating more with the media and the citizens within San Andreas. Internally, we are reworking the division to better steer us towards that goal.

Are there any memorable moments this month related to your division that you can share?
    Probably when I submitted my application I had to make a mock article; I chose to write one about Captain Wiley Reno being killed in action. Good times.

-
DEPUTY SPOTLIGHT

• Deputy Sheriff III Trixie Bankshot
    This month, we are thrilled to shine the spotlight on one of our remarkable members in the Sheriff's Department - Deputy Trixie Bankshot! So far Trixie has been doing outstanding work and has been really dedicated to the department alongside her beloved doggo and very good Deputy Moxxie! Deputy Bankshot and Deputy Moxxie, have made them an inseparable and formidable duo for any criminals that cross her path.

In addition to her outstanding work on the field, Trixie's camaraderie with her fellow deputies and her dedication to their well-being cannot go unnoticed. Always willing to lend a helping hand and support her colleagues, Trixie has become a true role model within the department.

We are incredibly fortunate to have Trixie Bankshot as part of our team, and we look forward to witnessing her continue to excel in her role as an outstanding K9 unit Deputy. Her dedication, passion, and unwavering commitment to the service of others set a high standard for all members of our department, and we are proud to call her our own. Congratulations, Trixie and Moxxie, for being everyone's favorite K9 unit!

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I joined in January of this year, after four months in PD and almost a year working at DOC.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    My favorite thing is the number of kind people I have met. Everyone knows everyone, and my coworkers have moved from being colleagues to celebrated members of my extended family. We have each other's backs in dangerous times and never skimp on our professionalism, but we also know how to have fun, and there are many light-hearted moments that make coming to work an absolute treat.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    There was one very unfortunate day when Deputy Moxxie, my canine unit, was kidnapped. We were driving peacefully along when two men with guns started firing at each other. When I stopped to call it in, a third man held me at gunpoint and forced me out of my cruiser. I begged him to let me get my dog out of the back, but he refused, and they took off with Moxxie. I called it in, and used the suspect's own abandoned car to try and give chase, but they evaded. All of SD and all of PD spent hours looking for Moxxie. While it was very upsetting, I had never felt so supported. Eventually, Moxxie was found, a little dirty and scared but alive and well, in the back of the abandoned cruiser. He had a nice bath, lots of pets, and tons of treats that night.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    I have always been a country girl. I grew up on a sheep farm, and my nickname in a more urban school was "hay seed". While PD has many merits and benefits, I felt the city landscape to be confining and claustrophobic. I craved the fresh air, the sunshine, the smell of the pine trees, and the gentle open roads. SD was a perfect solution for me: to still be able to assist the community, but not be entrapped by stone buildings and tight spaces.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    The greatest feeling I feel is diffusing hostage situations in a way that ends up with nobody getting hurt. I have never felt more accomplished in my life than bargaining and calming an erratic and agitated person, allowing more than one life to be saved.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    I hope to be a Deputy Sheriff III!

What do you like doing outside of work?
    I enjoy hunting, writing articles for Weazel news, going on dates with my loving husband Dalton, and working on Old Home Acreage, my animal rescue ranch.
    -
PROMOTIONS

• Image Corporal ► Image Sergeant
    • Bert Martin
    Image Deputy Sheriff III ► Image Master Deputy
    • Franco Morelli
    • Bunkie Johnson (Reinstatement)
    • Matthew Handley (Reinstatement)
    • Timothee Olsen (Reinstatement)
    • Cole Richardsun
    Image Deputy Sheriff II ► Image Deputy Sheriff III
    • Autumn Campbell
    • Jamie Snow
    • Baron Faust (Reinstatement)
    • Greg Devine
    • Hans Waltz (Reinstatement)
    • Trixie Bankshot
    Image Deputy Sheriff I ► Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Joey Malice
    • Emerson Lugo
    • Andy Schmidt
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee ►Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Paul Haggard (Reinstatement)
    • David Mathews
    • Dylan Chapple
    • Leif Halgarson

-
MONTHLY STATISTICS

QUESTION OF THE MONTH
  • Which would you rather win: The lottery or to be named employee of the month every month, and why?
  • Deputy Sheriff II Joey Malice wrote:To answer your question, as much as I love the department and would be happy to receive EOTM every month, I think my answer would have to be to win the lottery. I've actually started to pick up some work outside of the Sheriff's Department lately, and it would be a big help to give back to the community. Winning EOTM once would be nice, and I would treasure that deeply, but the money would be greatly needed as I personally don't need it, but to use to pay it forward to the greater community.
    Deputy Sheriff I Paul Haggard wrote:I feel that I would rather win the lottery due to the fact that being employee of the month every month would mean that it would lose the significance that the award holds amongst the department and amongst the members of the department, also I would love to win all that money
    Deputy Sheriff III Jamie Snow wrote:I'd win the chance to be named employee of the month, simply because it's an achievement that would sit with me throughout my career and shows that I have proven myself to be an outstanding deputy in the department. Winning the lottery is worthless to me as I make a good amount of money at the department, and money can't buy employee of the month!
    Deputy Sheriff III Hans Waltz wrote:The first time seeing this question I thought to myself that it will be an easy answer. But after some time looking at it and after some thoughts I came to a sense that it's not an easy question. And it is because both winning the lottery and being an employee of the month has it's own pros and cons.
    With the money we would be happy, knowing that we are financially free from almost everything, and with that freedom, we can pursue our dreams. But there are a lot of things that can happen by winning the lottery. After some time the money will be the enemy. By having lots of cash you'll get famous and every person you know might want to take advantage of you just to feel the same as you did when you won it. With it, friendships break apart. If there is no financial understanding then the money could go to total waste on things that are really unnecessary in your life. And most important that after some time you will be forgotten and you will be just another person that lives a wealthy life while spending the winnings only on yourself.
    While money can bring happiness, being an employee of the month has more pros than having success in the lottery. If you love your job then it is already a huge plus. Doing the job they like people tend to be more productive, motivated, and happier. And if they get the chance to be the employee of the month they will have more satisfaction in their job. With this kind of title, you can easily get recognized by all of the employees around you and it can even help how you look to your superiors. This can lead to better working conditions or even promotions. Unlike having won the lottery, being recognized monthly can lead to better stability and can even fulfill your career. Picking this choice seems to be the best way to go but from my perspective, it can lead to having dissatisfied co-workers. If each time the title goes to one person then other workers will be left out and it can affect your work experience with the lack of communication with them.

But as this question came to me and with me being in this kind of workplace I would personally choose to be the employee of the month over money. As with money, you can't buy friendship with colleagues and most importantly the things we experience in the field each day with them.

-
CLOSING MESSAGE
  • First and foremost, we extend our heartfelt gratitude to each and every one of you for joining us in reading our monthly newsletter for July 2023. Your support and engagement mean the world to us as we strive to keep you informed and connected with the happenings at the Los Santos Sheriff's Department.
    As we transition into the autumn season, we want to remind you of the importance of staying vigilant and proactive in ensuring the security of our neighborhoods. Together, through the partnership between law enforcement and our community, we can continue making Los Santos a place we are proud to call home.

We are excited to inform you that our recruitment status is currently OPEN. If you have ever dreamed of making a difference as a part of the Los Santos Sheriff's Department, now is the perfect opportunity. Our recruitment deputies are eagerly awaiting your application, and you can find more details in the Job Opportunities section on the Sheriff's Department public website.
CONTACT INFORMATION

Commanding Officer Amelia Clark
    (909) 474-8130 — [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909
Image Lieutenant Amelia Clark
Patrol Commander, North Patrol Division
Commanding Officer, Sheriff's Information Division
Commanding Officer, Field Training Division
Commanding Officer, Advanced Training Division