Special Press Release - Life After The Felon Reformation Program

Press releases made by the Department of Corrections on updates, employee adjustments, and stories from within the prison.
Herrman Wolff
ECRP Forum Name: Herrman_Wolff

DOC Awards

SASG Awards

LSPD Awards for Service

Special Press Release - Life After The Felon Reformation Program

Post by Herrman Wolff »

First Steps

"From the bottle of a pit, the climb to salvation always looks impossible"

Recidivism is a wide scale problem in San Andreas as at the Department Of Corrections, the Felon Reformation Program was created to help get felons life back on track and help them break the cycle that falls upon many. In order to see the real significance of what life looks like after completing the Felon Reformation Program, it's important to understand the first steps an individual could be taking to start their journey.

The Felon Reformation Program is an up to 5-week program that aims to give felons a second chance at life whilst also helping them deal with numerous social issues that they may be facing, such as substance addiction, or homelessness. The opportunity of a second chance, to many, is the helping hand they need to pull them from the quicksand and one of the main markers for the Felon Reformation Program is to help these individuals who grab hold, to get a full time position at one of our partnered workplaces.

The first meeting in the Felon Reformation Program is an introductory one where we get to know you more and understand the needs that you have and how we can assist you on your journey. Into your second meeting, we start to track your progress more, not as a marker for success but to show you how far you have come and to focus on the "wins", regardless if they are big or small. Each subsequent meeting after that looks at finding you a full time position in something that interests you, whilst also giving you support for any social issues you may have, should you require it.

The Felon Reformation Program is designed to be open and moldable to the individual applying, and It's not only just for ex-felons who recently committed their last felony. Several applicants in our program also happen to be people who many would class as "reformed" but still find it beneficial on their journey. We pride ourselves on welcoming those who wish to change and helping to facilitate that, including individuals from all walks of life.

A Word From The Felon Reformation Division Head, Remmi Raccoon:

Change is something that can only happen if you're truly ready for it. It might seem like you are stuck in a never-ending loop and have nothing else to strive for in your life. But coming from an ex-felon, I can tell you that that's just not true. I come from a life of crime, and when I knew it was time to start a new life and fix my wrongs, I took that leap. The quote that inspired me to take that jump is "You miss every shot you don't take." I started my legal life back up by working at DCC, then went to LSEMS, where I worked hard for many hours to show that I was a changed person. That work got me to become a Senior paramedic, and I got to help others in many ways. Once my time there was done, I went to DOC, where I am now the Head of FRD, being that hand in the dark for those who are wanting to change. I believe anyone can reform and become something great in life if they take the steps to help themselves and take the shot no matter how scary it may seem. This program is made to help guide you into the right steps with a shoulder to lean on in the hardest of times. If I can overcome my past, so can you!

Life After The Leap

"At the top of a pit, the distance from the bottom looks like nothing but a memory"

The Department of Corrections is currently partnered with Weazel News, Bayview, Los Santos Customs, Los Santos Emergency Medical Services, and the Downtown Cab Company. These organizations all allow for a graduating reformee to join (some depend on other criteria as well) and we are proud to offer such an extensive choice to help our reformee's get a position that will suit them at a workplace they are dedicated to.

Even when a process does not outright state a requirement for ex-felons to hold a Felon Reformation Program Certificate, we often see our reformee's have the ability to properly articulate how their life truly has changed by also providing their commitment to the FRP as the evidence to their claims. The ability to prove oneself with a tangible commitment gives credence to the will of a reformee and is only ever a benefit on any job application or business application that they submit.

Life after the Felon Reformation Program is often initially marked by the position that you achieve at a new workplace, but more often than not, we find our reformee's coming to us and telling us that the largest benefit is the entire change in their circumstances and outlook on life. The ability to hold down a steady job with predictable income that is not at risk of seizure or robbery, whilst also being able to freely move about the state without fear of violence, are two of the largest benefits that our reformees feedback to us.

It is one thing to have us make claims about our own program, but we find the most important marker for us is the feedback we get from our reformees and two of them agreed to share their views on the Felon Reformation Program below:
Why did you initially join the FRD Program, and do you feel that reason got fulfilled?
Manuel Romero wrote: I initially joined the DOC's Felon Reformation Program about a month after I was released from jail, my goal was to go though the program and have some slim chance of someday becoming a guard at the Department Of Corrections. In fact when I was doing my time In the jail I saw how friendly the guards were, how they treated everyone with kidness no matter how harsh their crimes were and at that moment I knew I wanted to be the one to try and reform the criminals there like I was reformed. During the FRD program I cut out all alcohol from my life as that was the main reason I ended up in prison in the first place, and by the end I felt a new person, I met and talked with some Prison staff Whilst I was there and ended up getting a job at Bayview where I work to this day.
Grace Speed wrote: I wanted to join the FRD program to prove to myself and others that I was reformed. I had already done a lot of work myself but wanted that extra confimation that I was on the right track and that the things I was doing in my life were the right things to do.

Looking back now, do you feel the FRD Program was worthwhile endeavour?
Manuel Romero wrote: Oh Definitely, I learned to control my urges like drinking and an abundance of alcohol, despite my Mexican origins.
Grace Speed wrote: I feel as though it is a very useful tool for people to utilise. Especially those who struggle with direction and influence in their lives.

How has your life changed since completing the FRD program, and what have you been up to?
Manuel Romero wrote: It's been amazing, as I said earlier I got hired at Bayview autocenter and got to meet all of the amazing and hardworking mechanics there, I've also took up drifting as a hobby, within a safe enviorment ofcourse.
Grace Speed wrote: Honestly my life hasn't been much different to before completing FRD as I had already made steps to improve my life before joining, my goal was not about drastic change but instead to reafirm that what I was doing was the right path. However since I have been promoted to Advertising Manager and gotten married!

Do you have anything to say to those who may be thinking about wanting to start their reformation journey?
Manuel Romero wrote: To any felons out there that may be reading this and are considering joining the FRD program, do it. It's never too late and I believe everyone can get reformed with enough time and dedication to attend the sessions, and I can tell you all from my experience, every single member of the DOC's staff will treat you with respect during your reformation days.
Grace Speed wrote: Stick with it, if you feel like something will hold you back cut it out and stay on your path.

How To Take The Plunge

• Ringing the bell.
  • There are a number of ways in which you can go about enrolling in the program. The first way is, simply coming by the San Andreas Department of Corrections and ringing the bell at the front desk. When you ring the bell, an office will come to assist you and you just need to mention that you are interested in joining the FRD program and they will try to get a reformation officer to come and conduct your first meeting.

• Applying online
  • The second way you can join the FRD program is by applying using the online application. Simply copy and paste the format filling out all the necessary information. Once you post your application, a reformation officer will review it and once you are accepted all you need to do is head down to the DOC and state that you are there for your first FRD meeting.

Oliver Dutch
Sergeant, Head of Public Relations
San Andreas Department of Corrections
[email protected]
    Kourtney Lafleur
    Warden
    San Andreas Department of Corrections

[email protected]

Return to “Press Releases”