[PRESS RELEASE #18] A Shift In Judicial Command: Appointment of Attorney General and Chief Public Defender

Judicial Branch Public Relations
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name:

[PRESS RELEASE #18] A Shift In Judicial Command: Appointment of Attorney General and Chief Public Defender

Post by Judicial Branch Public Relations »

San Andreas Judicial Branch

Appointment of Attorney General and Chief Public Defender
"EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER LAW"

• Citizens of San Andreas,

As Chief Justice Mason has stated in our monthly newsletter, the last couple of weeks the Judicial Branch has endured numerous resignations, most notably the resignation of the former Attorney General Roderick Marchisio. One of the Judicial Branch's top priorities is transparency, so we wanted to touch on why that resignation took place.

In early May of 2023, the Bar Ethics Review Board received a complaint of misconduct regarding actions taken by the former Attorney General. As we dug deep into what took place and investigated the allegations further we uncovered actions that were farther from the core values and beliefs of the branch than we have ever encountered. Immediately we placed former Attorney General Marchisio on administrative leave without pay until further notice. The Bar Ethics Review Board brought in its members plus Director of the Bar Association Tony McFornell is discuss what actions we needed to take and how to move forward.

Once we were ready, we called in former Attorney General Marchisio to discuss the outcome of the investigation. Ultimately the Bar Ethics Review Board decided that we would be stripping Roderick Marchisio of the Director of the Public Notary position and upon his return offering him the position of Senior Prosecuting Attorney. Upon hearing the offer, Roderick Marchisio tenured his resignation with the branch, effective immediately. We thanked him for his dedicated service with the branch, and went our separate ways.

That leads us to today, following a Judicial Branch Command meeting we came to the decision to make drastic changes in the current command structure of the branch. We believe this change is for the best and believe that the trust we have placed in the two individuals we picked to lead the Prosecution and Public Defense divisions will only cause the Judicial Branch to become better, and take us to new heights.

Yesterday evening in the Rockford Hills City Hall Courtroom Chief Justice Mason swore in Attorney General Cyrus Raven and Chief Public Defender Shaun Harper. Like stated previously, we could not be more proud of these two individuals, they have shown through their tireless efforts for the pursuit of justice, impeccable knowledge of the constitution and penal code, and their dedication to the citizens of this great state that they are the best candidates to take these positions. At this time I will leave you, and let them speak for themselves.

Attorney General Cyrus Raven wrote:

Attorney General Cyrus Raven
    I am honored to have been appointed the new Attorney General. I would like to thank the Judicial Branch Command team for their vote of confidence, my predecessor, Roderick Marchisio, for his hard work in building the division to what it is today, Deputy Attorney General Tony McFornell for his support in my transition from Defense to Prosecution and lastly, thank you to the members of the current prosecution division for their hard work these last few months.

I began my professional career on May of 2019, as a Los Santos Police Department Cadet. I have very fond memories of my time as a Cadet. One particular moment was on my final evaluation with then Commander Lewis Langley, now an esteemed Governor for our state. We had spotted a crime taking place at Legion Square. As we approached I parked our cruiser and exited the vehicle, a crowd started to form as we conducted an arrest of an individual. As we walk back to our cruiser we notice it was not where we left it... it turns out I had forgotten to lock it, likely due to the nerves of my final evaluation. Thankfully, I still passed the evaluation, but needless to say I would be checking my car doors more often, a habit I still have to this day.

While in the Los Santos Police Department I was given the opportunity to transfer to the newly formed Los Santos Sheriffs Department as a Deputy Sheriff where I worked alongside various great individuals who have remained in the department such as Assistant Sheriff John Kemp and Undersheriff John Wallace. I reached the rank of Master Deputy before leaving the department and taking an extended break.

In April of 2020 I returned to the Los Santos Police Department with a focus on wanting to become a member of the Detective Bureau, a position I achieved in November of the same year. Shortly after, personal circumstances lead to me resigning. After a year and some change I found myself drawn to Law Enforcement again and reinstated with the Los Santos Police Department in March of 2022.

Most of you know me as a Defense Attorney, I began working for the Judicial Branch since July of 2022, I started as a Law Student where I was given a choice, to become a Defense Attorney or a Prosecutor. This choice was not easy to say the least, many expected me to pick Prosecution given my Law Enforcement background, a logical choice...yet, I picked Public Defense because I felt like I was uniquely equipped with the knowledge to give the citizens of San Andreas the best possible criminal defense. It is my belief that Justice is a two way street. There is no greater threat to a free and democratic nation than a government that fails to protect its citizen’s freedom and liberty as aggressively as it pursues justice. It is with this philosophy that I led the Public Defense Division and it is why I am proud to hand the division off to someone as thoughtful and talented as Chief Public Defender Shaun Harper.

Needless to say, my career path has not been a narrow one, but I am thankful for that. My experiences with multiple agencies in multiple roles gives me a unique insight that I hope to use to continue serving the state of San Andreas. As the constitution states:

"It shall correspond to the Prosecutor’s Office, ex officio or by means of complaint, to investigate the crimes and to accuse the alleged offenders before the competent courts and tribunals, with special emphasis on the crimes committed by members of the public force in active service and civil servants."

The Office of the Attorney General under my command will focus on delivering Justice on all fronts. I hope I can count on both Law Enforcement and the citizens of San Andreas to achieve this.
    Chief Public Defender Shaun Harper wrote:

Chief Public Defender Shaun Harper
    It is with great honor and enthusiasm that I assume the position of Chief Public Defender within the San Andreas Judicial Branch. I want to express my sincere gratitude to Chief Justice Judith Mason for placing her trust in me, as well as all command members and to my predecessor, (now) Attorney General Cyrus Raven, for his invaluable guidance and support. I know I’ve got pretty big shoes to fill.

My journey within the Public Defense Division has been one of profound growth and learning. From my initial role as a Law Student to serving as Deputy Chief Public Defender, I have witnessed the importance of providing quality legal representation to all individuals, regardless of their background or circumstances. It is this fundamental belief in equal access to justice that will continue to guide my actions as Chief Public Defender.

As divisional leadership, my aspirations are rooted in the pursuit of a fair and just legal system. I aim to further strengthen the integrity and effectiveness of the Public Defense Division, ensuring that every citizen who seeks our assistance receives the highest level of legal representation. I am dedicated to upholding the principles of due process, advocating for the rights of the accused, and promoting the values of equity and fairness within our judicial framework.

My ultimate goal as Chief Public Defender is to uphold the principles of justice and safeguard the rights of every individual who relies on our services. I firmly believe that by doing so, we contribute to a stronger and more equitable society for all residents of San Andreas.

I am excited to embark on this new chapter, working alongside my fellow attorneys and the community at large. Together, we can strive for a justice system that is both compassionate and rigorous, ensuring that no one is left unheard or unsupported.

Associate Justice
(909) 402-9713 — [email protected]

Public Relations Division
Rockford Hills City Hall, Carcer Way,
Metro Los Santos, SA

Return to “SAJB - Public Releases”