Sheriff's Newsletter - June 2023

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Amelia Clark
Lieutenant
ECRP Forum Name: Tenbae

LSSD Awards

Sheriff's Newsletter - June 2023

Post by Amelia Clark »

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

Monthly Newsletter
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

Sheriff Bobby Kirk

MESSAGE FROM THE SHERIFF
    Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    With a heartfelt smile, I look back on this month and look forward to what July will bring. June marked Pride Month, a time to reflect on the experiences of the LGBTQ+ community's achievements, resilience, struggles, and the ongoing pursuit of equality and acceptance. Just as this does not end with the month, we proudly display a rainbow at our entrance year-round to symbolize our commitment to inclusivity and equality. You may have noticed we also painted some of our cruisers colors of the rainbow to show our support this past month.

This month also saw the celebration of the Los Santos Sheriff's Department alongside the Los Santos Police Department, coming together to have fun in friendly competition and a well-deserved getaway to Cayo Perico. I believe this event was very successful and allowed our hard-working employees to step away from duty and bond together outside of work. Our employees have kept up strong morale and dedication this month, despite a dip in the number of calls and cases this month. With this summer comes an awareness that we must stay vigilant despite this, and I am exceptionally proud of the work our deputies have conducted.

Coming into July I encourage everyone to be safe in the hot weather, minding to keep yourself hydrated and visit some of our wonderfully air-conditioned stores for some rest and respite from the heat. As we venture through summer, I'd like to remind the public that we are vigilant and dedicated to serving our county and its residents. We will always be working to make all of our residents as well as visitors are safe and secure around the clock.

Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    -
    -
    -
    -
DEPUTY OF THE MONTH

• Master Deputy Jeff Dayton
    Master Deputy Jeff Dayton has been an outstanding employee since his Academy graduation on November 26th, 2022. Deputy Dayton is always available to conduct field training sessions for new trainees or puts in his hard-working hours in the field. Since his promotion to Master Deputy on April 30th, 2023, he has continued to show his dedication and continued effort. This effort doesn't go unnoticed by the Department, and for that, he is more than deserving of this month's award for Deputy of the Month.

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I graduated from the academy on November 26th, 2022.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    Honestly for me it is by far the brotherhood. I have developed a lot of friendships here in the Sheriff department that I hold dearly. One thing I learned early on in life is that if you don't enjoy your job then it will never last. The friends that I get to patrol and work with daily is what keeps me going. If I need help I know all I have to do is ask and they will be there right beside me helping in any way they can.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    It would be hard for me to consider one moment that is most memorable. I am the type of guy that is always looking 5 steps ahead and not hanging on to the past. I have had a lot of great times here the last 8 months. Some of my most memorable times would definitely have to be the situations where I was working along side my brothers and sisters in the Special Enforcement Detail whether that be in training or active deployments.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    I became a deputy for the fact that I wanted to make a difference in our community and more specifically I wanted to be able to save lives both civilian and other Law Enforcement Officers. That is why I joined SED. I knew that they would provide me with the tools and training needed to be the wall between those that would look to do serious harm to civilians and/or LEO.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    For me it is a sense of accomplishment this far. With that in mind I also have a ways to go to reach the goals that I am striving to get to within the department. I have worked now for 7 months straight without a leave of absence and have poured my heart and soul into this department. I don't plan to stop any time soon and look forward to seeing what the months ahead have in store.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    In the next two months I plan to apply for the Supervisor Training program and if accepted I am hoping to complete that program and settle into a supervisor position within the department. Also with that comes a change of pace of what I have been use to and look forward to the challenge. I look forward to being there in a supervisor role to assist my other brothers and sisters within the department to help them grow through the ranks as I have. As stated above there were several people that have been rock solid supervisors that helped me along the way and I look forward to being that for the next generation of deputies that will eventually be supervisors themselves.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    Outside of work I enjoy going out on the water and doing a little fishing from time to time, Offroading, and grabbing a beer after a long shift with friends.

DIVISION SPOTLIGHT

• Legal Affairs Division

The Legal Affairs Division is the newest Division within the Los Santos Sheriff's Department. It was founded in early January 2023, and the Office of the Sheriff launched the Legal Affairs Division with Captain Olson & Retired Commander Smyth. Today, the division is overseen by Commanding Officer Captain Joe Olson and Assistant Commanding Officer Sergeant Alexander Olsson. The Legal Affairs Division recruits employees of the Los Santos Sheriff's Department that are the equivalent of Sergeant and above. Some of the requirements are a relatively clean service record, good administrative work, and an interest in law and the legal process of our duties. Members work with the prosecution and Judicial Branch regarding court cases involving the Department and ensure that the requests are processed with the utmost care as just one of the many functions of this Division.

The Los Santos County Sheriff Department's Legal Affairs Division protects the interests of the Department, monitors external cases, and provides high-quality legal and extended prosecution services. Many of the members of the Division, as required to advance within, are Certified Attorneys and have successfully passed the bar examination through the San Andreas Judicial Branch. One of the Division's main goals is to work with Prosecuting Attorneys to categorize and share evidence, building a successful case with these Attorneys.

The Division also excels, having its member Bar Licensed, at providing legal advice for members of the Department and working closely with individuals to ensure sensitive documents, contracts, and more are legal and secure. While much of this may go unnoticed by the public, the Division provides strong support that keeps the Sheriff's Department and Deputies providing accountability, confidentiality, and, most importantly, legality in Departmental activities and other Divisions. As the division evolves, they continue to work diligently between the Judicial Branch regarding appeals while providing points of contact that ensure legal procedures are maintained in the Department.

-
DEPUTY SPOTLIGHT

• Deputy Sheriff I Joey Malice
    Since graduating from the academy on the 6th of May, 2023, Deputy Sheriff I Joey Malice, has proved himself a shining light in our Department. Deputy Malice showcases the qualities we like to see in all of our Deputies and is highly approachable, forthright in his efforts and always doing top-level work in the field. For this month's spotlight, we want to highlight the outstanding work that Deputy Malice displays routinely on and off duty. He has a bright future in the Department and is always a great person to get to know.

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I joined the department on the 7th of May, 2023.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    My favourite thing about the Sheriff's Department would definitely have to be the complete culture change when compared to the city. Being from the country myself I have always been drawn to nature, having found the people more welcoming and understanding, and everyone seems to share the sense of community, whether it be from pulling up to Bayview and a bunch of workers greeting you with a smile on their faces, or patrolling through the Senora and helping out someone lost or with a broken down engine. I genuinely feel the Sheriff’s Department’s deputies want to make the place better for everyone, and seeing that first hand makes me feel hopeful I have found my place within the state of San Andreas.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    Honestly the most memorable moments are the little ones for me. The small “thank you” that you get after helping somebody out, the smiles on their faces when you greet them or small things like releasing their vehicles from the impound. I don’t live for the big moments, I take pride in knowing I made someone’s day just that little bit better, or knowing that I have assisted them in some way which will make it easier. These are the most memorable moments to me.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    I took a long hiatus from the city and state after my departure from the Los Santos Police Department, using that time to travel and to live off my savings, enjoying time back in Australia and generally just wherever the wind brought me. After a while I started feeling like I was missing something, something a part of me that was very vital in the past, and over the weeks/months, it was revealed to me it was the sense of responsibility and belonging, something which I had not had in a long time. After all the time I had spent traveling, I did not want to go back to the city and resume a career there, so I turned to the Sheriff’s Department, which to be honest, I should have done years ago.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    The greatest feeling about being a deputy is the sense of belonging. Everybody in the department makes you feel at home and takes time out of their day to assist, as I am still pretty new to the department. The freedom you have of the county is also a factor in what makes being a deputy great, the beautiful views and moments you get whilst on a job, the people you get to meet, it all ties together nicely, and I see myself hopefully being here a long time.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    I would like to see myself in a position of more responsibility, hopefully in the Field Training Division, so I can pass down the knowledge I have acquired to new trainees. I also wish to have cemented myself as a valued deputy, not only within the department but in the eyes of the community. I hope to join the Special Enforcement Division upon my promotion to Deputy Sheriff III, but that is a ways away yet, so I will continue to provide service to the department and to the county for times to come.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    During my off days I like to spend them hunting or four wheel driving up on the Cassidy Trail. These past couple weeks I haven’t had much time to because my body is still adjusting to the rigorous fitness requirements of being a deputy, but before long I will be back in the saddle, after I purchase a new 4x4 because I sold my original to travel the world.

-
PROMOTIONS
  • Image Lieutenant ► Image Captain
    • Wiley Reno
    Image Investigator III ►Image Lieutenant
    • Dante Archer
    Image Field Agent ► Image Senior Agent
    • Colin Quinn
    • Fillmoore Grayson
    Image Agent ► Image Field Agent
    • Amelia Clark
    Image Master Deputy ► Image Investigator I
    • Harvey Sutherland
    Image Deputy Sheriff III ► Image Master Deputy
    • Ike Vanburen
    • Niko Reggal
    Image Deputy Sheriff I ► Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Red Timpson
    • Chucky Nookes
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee ►Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Chuck Lynn (Reinstatement)
    • Joey Malice
    • Emerson Lugo
    • Elijah Quinn

-
MONTHLY STATISTICS

QUESTION OF THE MONTH
  • What motivates you to work hard?
  • Master Deputy Ben Blowman wrote:The only reason I work hard is to crush Niko Reggal, I wish to be 10x better than him in every way possible.
    Other than that I work hard simply for the citizens. I wish to prove to the people that SD is someone they can trust and rely on when they need help or have someone to talk to. My job is to keep the peace and I will try to keep that peace to the best of my ability.
    Deputy Sheriff II Trixie Bankshot wrote:I like to work hard because my daddy taught me how a good, strong ethic pays off. I put everything I can into my job, not always succeeding but always trying my best, so I can provide for myself and my husband! Working at SD allows me to buy fancy cars, boats, ammo for sport hunting. It allows me to support and fund my animal rescue and still have enough left over for fun nights on the town. I feel a strong need to earn those luxuries.

-
CLOSING MESSAGE
  • First and foremost, we want to thank you for reading our monthly newsletter for June 2023. June has been a month for celebrations, equality, and respect. The Sheriff's Department permitted all deputies to retrieve service vehicles from the garage wrapped in all the colors of the rainbow. There have been quite a few changes in the Sheriff's Department's leadership team and internal positions have been filled to continue the work of improving the department. At this writing moment, our recruitment status is OPEN, and our recruitment deputies are ready to review your application! You can read more at the Job Opportunities section under the Sheriff's Department public website.
CONTACT INFORMATION

Commanding Officer Amelia Clark
    (909) 474-8130 — [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909
Image Lieutenant Amelia Clark
Patrol Commander, North Patrol Division
Commanding Officer, Sheriff's Information Division
Commanding Officer, Field Training Division
Commanding Officer, Advanced Training Division