Sheriff's Newsletter - April 2023

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Amelia Clark
Lieutenant
ECRP Forum Name: Tenbae

LSSD Awards

Sheriff's Newsletter - April 2023

Post by Amelia Clark »

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

Monthly Newsletter
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

Sheriff Bobby Kirk

MESSAGE FROM THE SHERIFF
    Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    April has been a rather quiet month for the Sheriff's Department. We've seen a decrease in violent crime within the county and with that, I am exponentially grateful for the work that our department has done. The Sheriff's Investigation Bureau has been hard at work investigating long-standing criminal cases, working to ensure they are significantly filed and fully investigated. The Special Enforcement Detail has been working to protect our deputies in the field from any violent offenders and situations. Lastly, the Detention and Parole Bureau has maintained a high amount of parolees this month and even successfully conducted a fugitive detention and successful raid on the notorious headquarters of the Lost MC with the assistance of SIB and SED.

Despite the quiet nature of the county, I am exceptionally proud of the work our deputies have conducted during this month. Each day, our deputies place their life on the line to protect the citizens of this great state and county, with that, I am extremely thankful for their field work and determination to committing their duties.

Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    -
    -
    -
    -
DEPUTY OF THE MONTH

• Master Deputy Harvey Sutherland
    Master Deputy Harvey Sutherland completed the Sheriff's Department Academy on the 30th of November, 2021. During his time in the department, he was part of numerous divisions, mostly known from the Special Enforcement Division, before transferring to the Los Santos Police Department in May 2022. He returned to the Sheriff's Department a month later and is now a dedicated member of the Sheriff's Investigation Bureau and has successfully joined the Investigator Training Program. As an acknowledgment of his service and dedication, he has been awarded Deputy of the Month. Should you see him while he's clocked in, make sure to give him a big congratulations.

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I joined the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department in November 2021, and since then, I've been employed by the department on and off. As some of you may know, I have put in a few resignations during my time here. With each resignation, I get this feeling of regret, which is why I always come back!

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    I've been a law enforcement officer for quite some time, and my favorite thing about this job is upholding the law the maintaining order. I find myself to be the hero of this county, which faces a lot of challenges every day and it's our duty to make sure everything is on track, civilians are safe, and criminals are in DOC.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    My most memorable moment while being a deputy is when I was accepted into SIB. For starters, I'm very passionate about doing detective work, and being part of this bureau has allowed me to expand my skills and learn new things such as forensics, which can be extremely beneficial to our department. After receiving an email from SIB command saying I've been accepted into SIB, I've been working tirelessly on my new assignment and ensuring I'm putting in all effort to ensure I'm learning and benefiting the department at the same time.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    Back in 2021, I decided to join law enforcement. The reason behind this was the desire to serve this county, a passion for law enforcement and public safety, and a commitment to justice. As we all know, becoming a deputy can be a challenging experience that requires a high level of dedication and commitment - which is something that I was ready to do.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    I would say the greatest feeling about being a deputy is the sense of pride and fulfillment in serving the county, contributing to public safety, and making a positive impact in people's lives, not to mention upholding justice and maintaining order. Being a deputy comes with lots of responsibilities but it feels rewarding at the same time. It goes without saying being a deputy requires a strong sense of commitment and dedication to the responsibilities of the role.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    I can see myself as an Investigator within SIB. Currently, I'm working on applying for the Investigator Training Program - I believe soon enough, I'll be undergoing my training and in no time, I'll become a full Investigator. I also have long-term plans, such as applying for the Supervisor Training Program and becoming a supervisor for the department. This will come with lots of responsibilities, which I believe I'm capable of handling sometime in the future.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    I don't do much outside of work - sometimes, I just take my sports bike and drive it around. I also partake in community events such as legal drag racing. I spend most of my time on duty anyway.

DIVISION SPOTLIGHT
  • Air Support Division

What is the purpose and mission of your division?
    The purpose of the Air Support Division is to provide Air Support to our patrol operations and assist specialized units of the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department. Our mission is to enhance deputy and public safety, reduce the incidence of crime and thus reduce the fear of crime throughout the county. We provide rapid response, tactical insight, and airborne assessments of incidents - in a safe and professional manner.

How many employees of the LSSD is a member of your division?
    There are currently 34 members of varying ranks within the Air Support Division.

Are there any statistics that you would like to share from your division?
    Our pilots have logged over 80 flights this month, and a combined total flight time of over 170 hours.

How has the progress of your division been during the month?
    We have seen several members progress in their rank this month as they have continued to master their piloting skills and take on additional responsibilities within the division.

Did you meet any established goals during the month?
    At the beginning of this month, the Air Support Division Command team sought out to perform an overhaul of our division's manual to ensure it remained up to date and easy to digest. I am happy to announce that we were able to complete this task and are very pleased with the final result.

Do you have any established goals for the future?
    We would like to continue the growth of the division in both membership and the skills of our pilots. We would also like to see division-wide training sessions hosted more regularly in the upcoming months.

-
DEPUTY SPOTLIGHT

• Master Deputy Tom Brown
    Master Deputy Tom Brown transferred from the Los Santos Police Department in June 2022. Since then, he has become a dedicated member of the Sheriff's Department. He is currently active in the Air Support Division, Field Training Division, and the Sherrif's K9 Division as a handler for the K9 Lola. Below you will find responses to a few questions we asked Master Deputy Brown.

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I joined the Los Santos Sheriffs Department back in June 2022, I had reinstated back into the Los Santos Police Department early on after taking a long break to handle some matters out of the country. After coming back I felt that at the time my position in the department was not right and I wanted to join the Sheriff's Department so placed a transfer request after speaking with some Deputies.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    One of my favourite things about being a Deputy in the department is working in the K9 division, it’s something I had always wanted to try doing but never took the initiative to undertake. After the division was opened up I applied and it was well worth it as I have enjoyed being part of a team working with the K9s on patrol as well as doing training.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    For me I feel the most memorable moment would be picking up our K9s from the airport when they arrived, there were a few of us who grouped up before they were due to come in, we were all pretty excited to see our puppies for the first time. Agent Clark, Deputy Hoffman, Deputy Spencer and myself were anxiously waiting for them to arrive and what they would be like. As soon as we met them we all fell in love with our puppies and the prospects of what they will become in the department.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    I joined the Sheriff’s Department to get a different feel for policing. I had been in the Los Santos Police Department for a long time and wanted to change it up to get some experience in how the Los Santos Sheriff’s Department operated in the County. As soon as I joined the Department I was welcomed by Deputies and it was a lovely atmosphere to be in that goes for both on-scenes and just general operations in the department.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    I feel one of the best feelings about being a Deputy is being surrounded by like-minded and friendly people it’s never a dull shift when there are a few other Deputies around. Knowing you all have each other's back is just a feeling you can’t truly put into words without experiencing it for yourself. That along with the fact I get to patrol with my K9 who brightens up my day just by being there to have that bond with an animal is just an astonishing feeling.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    I would like to see myself progressing further in the department as I have been in the department for a fair amount of time now and would like to get back into the leadership side of things as I previously was in the Los Santos Police Department. Joining the supervisor program is something that is on my list to complete which I would hope I get the opportunity to do.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    Aside from taking my K9 for long walks when we’re not on duty I also enjoy going jet skiing which I have done for a long time now, the freeing feeling that it gives you when it’s just you and the machine blasting over the waves is something I will always enjoy. One of the more thrill-seeking activities I guess you could call it, base jumping which I have partaken in in the past but I try to limit this to a minimum as while the adrenaline rush you get is a thrill the risks are quite high!

-
PROMOTIONS

• Image Investigator II ► Image Investigator III
    • Oscar Black
    Image Corporal ► Image Sergeant
    • Zero Hunter
    Image Master Deputy ► Image Agent
    • Timothee Olsen
    • Hugo Hernandez
    Image Master Deputy ► Image Investigator I
    • Marco Rivera
    Image Deputy Sheriff III ► Image Master Deputy
    • Harvey Sutherland
    Image Deputy Sheriff II ► Image Deputy Sheriff III
    • Scott Ennis
    • Cole Richardsun
    • Heath Tegans
    Image Deputy Sheriff I ► Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Anthony Grey (Transfer)
    • Franco Morelli
    • Blake Walsh
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee ►Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Ania Wawrzyniec
    • Brian Blake

-
MONTHLY STATISTICS

QUESTION OF THE MONTH
  • How would you change your life today if the average life expectancy was 400 years?
Investigator I Anthony Parr
If life expectancy was increased to 400 years I would do the following. Go on the grind non-stop for the next 100 years, making/saving as much money as possible. After this, I would go live the dream, go somewhere nice like the Maldives. Own a beach hut, wake up each morning and sit out on a sun bench. After 100 years of the Maldives, I would spend the remaining time of my life in the Caribbean looking out on the beach until the day I die.

-
CLOSING MESSAGE
  • First and foremost, we want to thank you for reading our monthly newsletter for April 2023. In April 2023, we have seen seven new faces entering the department, 6 trainees, and one transfer and sadly, we have seen some leave the department with new goals in mind. We wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors. We will still focus on internal changes and improvements in the coming month. If you have any questions about our operations or the Sheriff's Department, please stop by Paleto Bay Station for a chat! At this writing moment, our recruitment is currently OPEN. Head to the Job Opportunities section on our public database and read more.
CONTACT INFORMATION

Agent Amelia Clark
    (909) 474-8130 — [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909
Image Lieutenant Amelia Clark
Patrol Commander, North Patrol Division
Commanding Officer, Sheriff's Information Division
Commanding Officer, Field Training Division
Head Instructor, Advanced Training Division