THE LAUNCH OF THE LEGAL AFFAIRS DIVISION

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Timothee Olsen
ECRP Forum Name: Icarus

LSSD Awards

THE LAUNCH OF THE LEGAL AFFAIRS DIVISION

Post by Timothee Olsen »

WWW.LSSD.SAGOV.US
Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
News Release
February 10th, 2023
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"
Sheriff Bobby Kirk

• THE LAUNCH OF THE LEGAL AFFAIRS DIVISION

• In early January 2023, the Office of the Sheriff launched the Legal Affairs Division with Captain Olson & Commander Smyth in the front. A few months prior, Captain Olson began building the Legal Affairs Division from the ground up, using his passion for law within the State of San Andreas.

The Legal Affairs Division recruits employees of the Los Santos Sheriff's Department that are Sergeant and above. Some of the requirements are a relatively clean service record, good administrative work, and an interest in law and the legal process of our duties. Members of the Supervisory Team will no longer handle court Information Requests, but rather, these will now be taken as part of the functions of our Legal Affairs Division. This will ensure that the requests are processed with the utmost care.

So I won't repeat myself too much, I asked some questions to the Commanding Officer of the Legal Affairs Division, Captain Joe Olson, a few questions;

Commander of the Office of the Sheriff
    Steve Smyth

Commanding Officer Joe Olson
    What does the Legal Affairs Division do?
    The Legal Affairs Division is an arm of the Office of the Sheriff, responsible for handling legal cases, among other things surrounding legal matters. At this point, we handle all court cases together with the prosecution, both from the prosecution's standpoint and a disciplinary perspective. As a division, we aim to work closely together with Internal Affairs.

What do you expect from the deputies involved in the Legal Affairs Division?
    Mainly, we are looking for experienced supervisors who can analyze a case thoroughly and patiently. The skillset is very similar to what you would expect from an internal affairs investigator, with the addition of expectation that Counsellors should also be able to represent the department publically, in places such as the courtroom. In other words, be presentable.

What was the motivation behind creating the Legal Affairs Division?
    The Legal Affairs Division has been something I have been planning since the start of summer, but I never really dared to start it. It was all drafts on a giant canvas of ideas. Thanks to the help I received from Commander Steve Smyth, and the reviews from Captains Charlie Wilkinson and Luka Rosselli, Commander Smyth and I built something within a reasonable time frame. Last but not least, I would like to thank Undersheriff John Wallace and Assistant Sheriff Marco Davis for being so lovely and patient with us while we were building this division.

As a civilian, how will I notice the division in effect?
    As a civilian, it is hard to see the output of this division other than our presence in Los Santos Sheriff's Department's related cases. However, I genuinely believe that throughout the court cases, we will be able to suggest ideas on how to refine the department, and these refinements will directly impact the Blaine County community.
###
  • For Information, Contact:

Master Deputy Amelia Clark
    (909) 474-8130 — [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909

Return to “News Room”