Sheriff's Newsletter - November 2022

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Martin Haswell
Master Deputy
ECRP Forum Name: Homast

LSSD Awards

SAJB Awards

Sheriff's Newsletter - November 2022

Post by Martin Haswell »

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

Monthly Newsletter
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

Sheriff Bobby Kirk

MESSAGE FROM THE SHERIFF

Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    Yet another month comes to an end, and we're now at the end stage of 2022. It's incredible how quickly this year has passed through us, and the number of accomplishments that we've all achieved throughout 2022. When I was appointed as the Sheriff in April 2022, taking over from the great Sheriff John Wallace, we worked arduously to continue improving the department from the inside and out, both for our current employees and future employees.
    Together with now Undersheriff John Wallace, Undersheriff Harry Payne, and the rest of my Executive, Command, and Supervisory Staff team, we've managed to improve the department's transparency, and training programs, and have generally been able to help our employees become better Law Enforcement officers. And their hard work has not been in vain, as this year, the department broke our record amount of employees and has consistently kept over 90 employees at one time - which has greatly aided us in our work to serve the great public of San Andreas, more specifically, the Los Santos and Blaine County.

At the Sheriff's Department, as per usual this time of the year, we've made internal modifications to our policies to allow deputies to celebrate the holiday season even while on duty, hence why you will see Sheriff's Deputies wearing festive hats all throughout December. We want to make sure that the public understands that our deputies are humans too and that we care.

Now as we enter the month of December, the month of festivities, I'd like to remind everyone that it's important that we take care of one another, be especially mindful of those around us and think of the less unfortunate. Remember that this season is not about giving physical items to someone, but rather, doing something little extra for someone, and kindness alone creates love.

I would also like to commend my Sheriff's Information Division for yet again putting in great effort to make sure that the month of December remains true to its spirit, a fun and festive month. With that being said, I would like to encourage you, the reader, and your friends & family, to attend the Sheriff's Department's Winter Wonderland Fair on December 10th at 7 PM, at the Paleto Lodges. You'll have the opportunity to meet me, and my staff, eat good food, and partake in various activities.

With that being said, as our next newsletter won't be until 2023, whatever your holiday plans may be, we wish you all a safe and relaxing time spent with those nearest and dearest to you. May you have a very happy holiday, and a happy new year!

Sheriff Bobby Kirk

DEPUTY OF THE MONTH

Deputy Sheriff II Bob Mercer
    Deputy Sheriff II Bob Mercer wrote: When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    Wed Sep 14, 2022

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    I really like the close-knit community and the positive environment of working as a team with fellow Deputies. It does feel like a family of people with each other's back.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    Definitely catching my first criminal, on a Romeo patrol. It gave me a sense of achievement and I felt like I conducted a positive action to help the County.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    The most important thing for me in any occupation is camaraderie and structure. I strive in high-pressure situations and I like to be challenged, especially if it gives me the ability to help people. LSSD gives me the opportunity to experience all of these things.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    The pride you feel when wearing the uniform of the LSSD is a great feeling, knowing that you're a part of something larger than yourself.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    I want to be promoted to Deputy Sheriff III by then, and also have progressed with my personal goals inside SED to achieve the rank of Operator. I would like to excel in ASD and hopefully get to a stage where I can get certification to fly the Buzzard.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    I like clapping Bambis on the lovely sandy beaches of Chernarus, so stay frosty.

DIVISION SPOTLIGHT

• To serve and protect. Most law enforcement personnel are aware of this core ethos that sweeps our nation, but the Agents in the Detention and Parole Bureau take this a step further. Giving second chances to those who in the public eye, may not deserve one. We spoke with Senior Agent Wiley Reno about the responsibilities and expectations of the members of the Bureau and the benefits of undergoing their Parole Program.
    What does the Detention and Parole Bureau do?
    The Detention and Parole Bureau has a primary mission statement of providing parole opportunities and reformation to the citizens of San Andreas. We are the only organization in the State of San Andreas authorized legally to provide such services, and have individuals released from custody before their sentence ends.

What are the benefits of undergoing the Parole program?
    Over the past few months, I have spent time working on the Behavior modification and Reformation program. This program works with several businesses, typically in the Los Santos Area, and this program is meant for Parolees who are deemed fit, to start a new track on life, Day one out of prison, we can assist with getting someone a job at LSC, Bayview, Weazel News, or DCC.

The goal is to lower the number of recidivists to close to 0. By working with such esteemed businesses, we can show parolees that they have a second chance and that they are able to make it in society. We even have an individual who currently is a supervisor at DCC, who was once a Parolee, this goes to show the success of the program should you take it seriously.

What can one expect from a Detention and Parole Bureau member?
    Well first and foremost, professionalism. I personally see to it that they remain a professional attitude in all facets of their job. Meaning not only their fellow co-workers, but also their work itself. Our training is quite rigorous, and this is to insure that we don't need to worry about their field performance, due to this previously mentioned rigorous training

-

DEPUTY SPOTLIGHT

Deputy Mark Colombo, a beacon of what to be like when you graduate from your Field Training Program, He's been shooting for the top ever since he first signed his name on the dotted line, and has no plans to stop! Let's take a peak into the mind that drives such a wonderful Deputy
    Deputy Sheriff I Mark Colombo wrote: When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I signed my employment contract on the 18th of October, 2022.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    Being a part of a team who push me to goals that I never thought I'd be able to achieve and being able to make new amazing friends. Deputies with the LSSD are really humble, it feels like a family.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    Witnessing Sheriff Bobby Kirk offer a gentleman a piece of Chocolate in order to get into a cruiser, and it actually working!

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    My father was a Sheriff in San Fierro, I felt that I had ought to make it a family tradition of serving in Sheriff's Departments wherever we may be.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    Being a part of a team where you feel respected, and where you feel like you have a say in events. People respect me, and look up to me, that's a good feeling.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    I see myself being a member of the Sheriff's Information Division, Special Enforcement Division, and the Field Training Division, also hopefully being a Deputy Sheriff II

What do you like doing outside of work?
    I like hunting, off-roading. especially with the new truck I got, that's.... about it. I'm a country boy, I have simple pleasures. I do happen to make my own jerky as well. Me and my Dad have our own recipe, we call it "Colombian Jerky"
    -

PROMOTIONS

• Image Lieutenant ► Image Captain
    • Victoria McJohnson
    Image Sergeant ► Image Staff Sergeant
    • Dante Archer
    Image Agent ► Image Agent (SiT)
    • Colin Quinn
    Image Investigator I ► Image Investigator I (SiT)
    • Oscar Black
    Image Deputy Sheriff III ► Image Master Deputy
    • Zachery Pines
    • Hans Waltz
    • Daniel DeLuca
    Image Deputy Sheriff II ► Image Deputy Sheriff III
    • Ike VanBuren
    • Gordon Hyde
    • Tom Brown
    Image Deputy Sheriff I ► Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Sean Payne
    • Amelia Clark
    • Bob Mercer
    • Scott Andrews
    • Hugo Hernandez
    • Tim Conway
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee ►Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Theodore LaRue
    • Will Grigg
    • Steve Kiriakis
    • Kendall LaRue
    • Mark Colombo
    • Niko Reggal
    • Butch Harris
    • Lewis Reed

-

MONTHLY STATISTICS

QUESTION OF THE MONTH
  • When is a time you have gone above or beyond in the line of duty?
Commander Garret Groyce wrote:A time I had gone above or beyond the line of duty to rescue another person was actually a member of the Medical Department. This was during a large case I was working on at the time regarding severe criminal threats and stalking of "specific" members of the Medical Department. At the time I was actively following the primary suspect through a list of notes he had left for me to collect in a scavenger hunt manner. Each note progressively got worse and more threatening as time went on. Eventually, the suspect at the time had picked someone to target, that he was going to kidnap and evidentially either torture, or outright murder due to a close affiliation to myself. The moment I got wind of this information I reviewed my active case to review which affiliates I discovered were secretly aiding the supposed 'serial killer.' Through investigative means, I was able to find out the location of these affiliates, which would turn out to be right behind an active medical scene where the next "target" (EMT) was at the time, all alone. I took the opportunity to get on Department radio requesting the Medic to get into the ambulance and for PD to swarm the area. I shortly arrived on the scene to comb the area; no one was in sight, but a final note was left stating how he was within reaching distance of her. I can't help but think that if I wasn't on duty or quick enough that something dire would've happened.
Senior Agent Wiley Reno wrote:On the night of February 14th, 2022 there was a large CODE-1 which resulted in the death of several officers and deputies. It was the result of an attempt by several criminal organizations to hijack a money transportation truck. It was an all-hands-on-deck situation for all law enforcement in the state and required us to work very closely with the Police Department. At one point, a Police Officer was injured outside the boundaries of our being able to assist him. It appeared that he would die quickly if we did not act soon. Myself and Field Agent Steven Lee rushed to the corridor to drag the officer back to safety where we could perform medical treatment, a situation in which I took several bullets in the process.
Deputy Sheriff III Tom Brown wrote:On the 29th of November, multiple units responded to a call of multiple hostages and a bomb on a bus. We tried to confirm if there was any real threat of a bomb, so we stayed back and kept our distance, communicating with the hostage taker via megaphone. As we entered the Fort Zancudo tunnel, one of the passengers exited the bus, causing the driver to crash into a barrier at the side. One of the hostage takers ran on foot from the bus, and Master Deputy Audrey Hartwell pursued them. After a chase across the beach, the suspect attempted to swim in the ocean, which she followed. There was an altercation in the water, and Audrey was knocked unconscious, leaving her floating lifeless out in the ocean. Due to the threat, the suspect showed Deputy Hartwell, I fired my pistol toward him, clipping him in the shoulder and causing him to swim away. After this, I swam out into the rough waves to drag her out and perform CPR on her once she was out. I kept up CPR until she came back, regaining consciousness. She was shivering with hyperthermia, so I covered her in my jacket until the MD arrived to give her proper treatment.

-
CLOSING MESSAGE

• As Sheriff Kirk touched on in his message, The year is ending, and with that comes a plethora of holidays for many creeds, colors, and religions. We would like to wish you above all, a Happy New Year. Keep warm with loved ones by the fireplace, help out your neighbors where you can, and remember to be nice.

The Sheriff's Department will be here for you, and we will be there to assist with any problems that you may have that warrant deputy response (we are not General Laborers, for that please contact Public Works). Next year you can expect a continued dedication to serving you, and you can expect bigger and better things from each and every one of us in the department.
CONTACT INFORMATION

Sergeant Martin Haswell
    (909) 568-9567 — [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909

Return to “News Room”