Public Inquiry [Citizen]

Olivia Valentine
ECRP Forum Name:

Public Inquiry [Citizen]

Post by Olivia Valentine »

1. CONTACT INFORMATION
2. REQUEST INFORMATION
  • Detailed information of your request:
    • I have several questions for the LSPD on departmental policies/classifications.

1. What does the LSPD define as "criminal/gang affiliated"?

2. What does it take for the LSPD to register someone as "criminally affiliated/gang affiliated"? or how is "gang/criminal affiliation" determined?

3. How does one become "unaffiliated" once they've been noted as "criminally affiliated/gang affiliated"?

4. Is it departmental policy to treat people differently because of supposed "criminal/gang affiliation"? IE: searching someone/asking someone to leave their car during a traffic stop due to clothing/car colour.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.
Tim Havlicek
Retired Captain I
ECRP Forum Name: kris giggs

LSEMS Awards

LSPD Awards for Service

Re: Public Inquiry [Citizen]

Post by Tim Havlicek »

Los Santos Police Department

Media Relations Division
"TO PROTECT AND TO SERVE"

• Dear @Olivia Valentine,

Thank you for forwarding this request.

The Gang and Narcotics Division situated under the Detective Bureau specializes in and handles gangs, gang-related activity, as well as gang-affiliated individuals - with the division effectively split into two units, the Major Enforcement Section consisting of Detectives, and the Gang Enforcement Detail consisting of Gang Officers. Each unit does similar work, with the Gang Enforcement Detail consisting of uniformed Officers subverting gang operations on a patrol level.

The Los Santos Police Department will not be releasing any kind of sensitive information pertaining to investigative tactics and measures that might impede current and/or future investigations. If you require more information on how the Division operates, we will try to consolidate a more detailed answer should you need it - notify us of any further questions within 24 hours of this reply. Thank you.

• Sincerely,
    Lieutenant Tim Havlicek
    Commanding Officer, Media Relations Division
Image POLICE LIEUTENANT I Tim Havlicek
Detective Supervisor, Gang and Narcotics Division
Los Santos Police Department — "To Protect and to Serve"
Olivia Valentine
ECRP Forum Name:

Post by Olivia Valentine »

Respectfully you have failed to answer any of my questions, the simplest being a definition. How can your departments hope to enforce something they can't even define for the public?

Every other law enforcement agency in the world has to be able to define specific words/classifications in order to do their jobs correctly and provide transparency. Imagine if the JB failed to define terms for the public as you all have. You all are public servants funded with tax payer money, do you not feel an obligation to the civilians you're supposed to protect to explain why you do certain things? Or why they may be searched when others are not?

It appears as if the sweeping wave of transparency in law enforcement agencies across the country has missed Los Santos. If I were to look online right now, I could find multiple states/cities who actively provide police body-cam, explain in great detail, and talk to the public about how they handled specific situations, especially if a firearm was used/discharged. This has been proven to garner better public opinion and trust for the respective department. I would hope with the current public opinion of LSPD being what it is, that you all would be working towards changing that in whatever way possible. Instead you responded with the most simplest and basic of answers.

After the community meeting Deputy Chief Bacon told a civilian if they wanted to inquire into why they had a gang affiliation file on them, that they could feel free to ask that question here in a public inquiry for all to see. However given your response to basic questions, I don't feel that is the case. I was denied from DOC a while ago due to gang affiliation after I changed my last name to "Copyak" and could never understand why. Do you not feel the public is owed some explanation/at the very least a definition?
Last edited by Olivia Valentine on Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Havlicek
Retired Captain I
ECRP Forum Name: kris giggs

LSEMS Awards

LSPD Awards for Service

Post by Tim Havlicek »

Media Relations Division
"TO PROTECT AND TO SERVE"

• Dear @Olivia Valentine,

Thank you for your reply, we will do our best to give you a satisfactory answer.

The Media Relations Division prioritizes bridging the gap between the Los Santos Police Department and the public - the Media Relations Division has made a number of publishments regarding the work of the Gang and Narcotics Divison all while answering previous inquiries of members of the press and the public regarding similar matters which are publicly visible to everyone at all times. Weekly Report 2213, Arrest and Weapon Seizure on the 18th of January, and Narcotics Seizure on the 26th of October are few of many releases highlighting the work of Gang Officers and Gang Detectives which can allow you insight on how the division operates - you may read over them at will and deduce the modus operandi of the division.

Searches are done in accordance with 1.2 - Evidence and Probable Cause of the Department Manual which applies to every employee of the Los Santos Police Department, which has also been clarified in a number of releases and Public Inquiries which you can find in either the Public Inquiries Archive and/or the Newsroom located in the Public Affairs section - but we are more than happy to provide an answer on this should you need it.

If any individual at any point in time feels that an employee of the Los Santos Police Department harassed them, wrongfully searched them, or profiled them in any way, shape, or form we encourage them to report the occurrence to the Internal Affairs Division for investigation. These matters are extremely serious and the Los Santos Police Department is not only willing to but is obligated to investigate these matters thoroughly and objectively.

Additionally, the Judicial Branch has been working closely with the Los Santos Police Department, particularly with the Gang and Narcotics Division, severely limiting the amount of information that may be released for the aforementioned reasons without prior reviewal and approval as this information affects the course of current and future court cases and investigations. Thank you for your understanding.

• Sincerely,
    Lieutenant Tim Havlicek
Image POLICE LIEUTENANT I Tim Havlicek
Detective Supervisor, Gang and Narcotics Division
Los Santos Police Department — "To Protect and to Serve"

Return to “Public Inquiries - Archive”