Sheriff's Newsletter - October 2022

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Martin Haswell
Master Deputy
ECRP Forum Name: Homast

LSSD Awards

SAJB Awards

Sheriff's Newsletter - October 2022

Post by Martin Haswell »

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

Monthly Newsletter
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

Sheriff Bobby Kirk

MESSAGE FROM THE SHERIFF

Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    I'm thankful to have yet another calm month go past us. I'd like to thank everyone for handling this month as well as it could have been, and providing us, and the communities of the county, with another season of spookiness, friendliness, and happiness. I'd like to thank the Government for ending this month with an amazing community-orientated event in the heart of the county, our department and the people of the county, sincerely appreciated it.

Overall, I'd like to say that the Sheriff's Department's operations have remained smooth and efficient for October, although, a bit quieter and slower than usual. We are currently amidst a recruitment drive with over 5 students that are ready to begin their journey into the Sheriff's Department, and I'm eager to see what the future holds for them, and their soon-to-be mentors who are eagerly waiting to train them.

Now as we move into November, the public will notice changes to our Paleto Sheriff's Station building. We are in the process of setting up decorations and changing the theme to fit the upcoming festive season of December. Visitors and employees may, unfortunately, see our beloved LGBT flag shift away from the entrance where it has remained since Pride Month, but we are hoping to find a new permanent location for it, as the Sheriff's Department would like to continue promoting our values and beliefs, and be an ally to those who need it.

Thank you all for yet another amazing month.
    Sheriff Bobby Kirk

DEPUTY OF THE MONTH

Master Deputy Zachery Pines

Master Deputy Zachery Pines graduated from the Los Santos Sheriff's Department Academy on the 18th of June, 2022. Since then, he has climbed the ranks reaching the rank of Master Deputy on the 2nd of November, 2022. His hard work ethic and perseverance characterize Deputy Pines as a notable deputy in the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department.

He has been part of multiple divisions, including the Highway Enforcement, Air Support and the Recruitment and Employment division, where he has been excelling in the past few months, receiving divisional awards, and having the stats to back them up. Recently, Deputy Pines decided to pursue an Agent career within the department as part of the Detention and Parole Bureau, where he has already started showing his aptitude. Deputy Pines joined the Detention and Parole bureau on the 13th of September 2022 and is currently enrolled on the Agent Training Program. As part of the bureau mentioned earlier, Deputy Pines has joined all its three subdivisions and has, in total, processed six parolees.

For all the reasons mentioned above and many more, Master Deputy Zachery Pines is awarded the Deputy of the Month.

DIVISION SPOTLIGHT

• This month, we're bringing back the division spotlight and starting with the Special Enforcement Detail. Lieutenant McJohnson had this to say:
    What does SED do?
    We aim to preserve life and property during critical incidents and high-risk operations. SED is called upon to respond for service of high-risk search and arrest warrants; incidents involving barricaded suspects, hostage rescues, or active shooters; crowd control; and other situations requiring resources beyond the capacity of the patrol division.

What kind of response does SED do?
    Usually, fast and tactical responses go above the capacity of GOBs. SED operatives are expected to be a fast-response team and be on call in case of an emergency.

What can one expect from a SED member?
    Our member needs to have some good leadership skills, fast decision-making, problem-solving capability, organization and planning skills, and, most importantly, reliability. Our members are expected to work together as a whole, as this is what makes us our strength SED is a team.

-

DEPUTY SPOTLIGHT

This month, we are pleased to welcome back Agent Brian Strange to the department and award him with the deputy spotlight for all the excellent work he has done previously as part of the Los Santos Sheriff's Department.

During the Agent's previous tenure at our department, Brian Strange has been at the helm of the Detention and Parole Bureau following former Agent Salatoni's resignation. At the same time, he was part of the Recruitment and Employment Division as a Supervisor.

Below you will find a quick interview about his tenure in the Los Santos Sheriff's Department.
    When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I joined the department on the 14th of July, 2021

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    I think my favorite part of working for the LSSD is working alongside my colleagues. They are like family and being able to count on them when you are in the field is something that you cannot operate without.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    My most memorable moment would be when I saved a colleague's life. He had slipped on some mud and had rolled down a hill, and had a few serious injuries. I was able to reach him in an offroad vehicle, stabilized him, and rushed him to the hospital. If I had not been there, the deputy might not have been with us today.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    I have always wanted to be part of something that if greater than me, and after seeing the things the deputies have to do and go through, I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I spoke to a few people, went on a few ride along's and I was hooked, so I applied for the job, I was accepted, and I have never looked back again.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    The most incredible feeling is helping others who can't help themselves, protecting people that are unable to do so themselves, and serving others. Also, when you get rewarded for the effort that you put in, it makes doing the work so much better.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    I would like to see myself progress in my career and get to a supervisory status within the department. I am a person who always wants to be pushing forwards, and that is my next goal.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    I love cars. So you will find me cruising around, going to car meets, or hanging out with friends.
    -

PROMOTIONS

• Image Captain ► Image Commander
    • Noah Carlile
    Image Field Agent ► Image Senior Agent
    • Trent Williams
    Image Investigator II ► Image Investigator III
    • Toni Salatoni
    Image Agent ► Image Field Agent
    • Fillmore Grayson
    Image Master Deputy ► Image Agent
    • Brian Strange (Reinstatmenet)
    Image Master Deputy ► Image Investigator I
    • Michael Fontana
    • Jeremy Williams
    • Timothee Olsen (Reinstatement)
    Image Deputy Sheriff III ► Image Master Deputy
    • Jacob West
    • Gustavo Waltz
    • Anthony Parr
    • Thomas Dawson
    Image Deputy Sheriff II ► Image Deputy Sheriff III
    • Zachery Pines
    • Daniel Deluca
    • Gordon Hyde
    Image Deputy Sheriff I ► Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Brayton Williams (Reinstatement)
    • Robert Ledger
    • Kane Charlson
    • Kasper Hansen
    • Marco Rivera
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee ►Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Amelia Clark
    • Bob Mercer
    • Sean Payne (Transfer)
    • Carolin Dick
    • Scott Andrews
    • Aaron Marks
    • Hugo Hernandez
    • Tim Conway
    • Ollie Skies

-

MONTHLY STATISTICS

QUESTION OF THE MONTH
  • Question of the Month - What are some tips you have for staying safe this coming winter?

Assistant Sheriff Jon McCornish & Lieutenant Victoria McJohnson

The both of us are from Canada, so when we talk about cold, we know our stuff.

The first safety measure you need to follow if being careful on the roads. If it seems clear and without any ice, pay closer attention. There is always a patch of black ice under the white cover of the snow that is just waiting for you to speed a little bit to send you into the ditch. Follow the speed limit and even go under it, and you won't have any trouble with the black ice. Make sure to get a tire change at Bayview and install some good winter tires too.

Cover yourself, and put on multiple layers. If you did not follow my first rule and the black ice got the better of you, you will at least be warm and unharmed as the layers will act like extra cushioning and protect you from the impact.

Always keep an emergency kit in the trunk of your car, a shovel, a little bit of food and water, and chains (for your car's tires, nothing else), so you will always be ready in the eventuality of an accident.

Last but not least, always keep your phone fully charged, and don't hesitate to call the Sheriff's Department or MD in case that even with all those measures, you still hurt yourself.

Stay safe out there.

-
CLOSING MESSAGE

• With that folks, marks the end of our monthly newsletter. Seasons are changing, the winds grow bitter, and we've heard the whispers of Jack Frost taunting us. We look forward to the month ahead of us, and we hope that we can continue to serve each and every one of you to the best of our ability.

If you, or a loved one are at the end of your rope, then reach out to somebody, share what's on your mind. If you don't believe that you have anybody who does care, then the next best thing, is talking to somebody who has access to tools to help you turn yourself around. Crime will only cause you and your loved ones more pain in the end.

Take care of yourselves.
CONTACT INFORMATION

Sergeant Martin Haswell
    (909) 568-9567 — [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909

Return to “News Room”