Sheriff's Newsletter - July 2022

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Timothee Olsen
ECRP Forum Name: Icarus

LSSD Awards

Sheriff's Newsletter - July 2022

Post by Timothee Olsen »

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

Monthly Newsletter
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

Sheriff Bobby Kirk

MESSAGE FROM THE SHERIFF

Assistant Sheriff Davis
    This month we celebrated the Sheriff's Department's three-year anniversary and wow, what a fantastic three years it has been. When I transferred from the Los Santos Police Department, I would never have imagined the memories and help the Sheriff's Department would have provided. In these past three years, we've successfully implemented numerous additions to the department such as the Special Enforcement Detail, Detention and Parole Bureau, and Sheriff's Investigation Bureau. These three are integral parts of the Sheriff's Department are we are very grateful for the work they do to keep the county safe.

This month was a fantastic time for the department as we held our very first Romeo awards and awarded deputies with numerous superlatives for their work within the department. We also saw two deputies be awarded the Excellent Service Award which you can read about here.

Lastly, Assistant Sheriff McCornish and Captain Carlile executed our very first mock code one drill, where units were tasked to respond to a bomb threat within PD juro. All in all, the mock code one went very well and we were very pleased with the deputies' field performance on that day.
    Assistant Sheriff Marco Davis

DEPUTY OF THE MONTH
    Master Deputy Colt Black

This month we as a department are very happy and pleased to announce newly promoted Master Deputy Colt Black as the Deputy of the Month of July. Master Deputy Colt Black has not been with us for a long time but has truly shown quality over quantity, achieving the rank of Master Deputy in 4 months. Since joining the Sheriff's Department, Deputy Black has been nothing but exceptional in his work. Having joined the Highway Enforcement Division, Special Enforcement Detail and the Recruitment & Employment Division. Showcasing the variety of his quality by being a member of a division in Patrol Operations, Countywide operation and remembering the importance of his administrative side where he shows hard work and effort being a member of RED. Not only has he excelled in this, but also to the point where he was also appointed RED Deputy of the Month too.

In six months' time, Master Deputy Colt Black wants to hopefully be a member of the supervisor team in the department, helping give his advice and improve the system as a whole for not only deputies but also for the public. So far Deputy Black has enjoyed his time growing with the entire department and helping save the people of our county. He truly is a great Deputy and we can not wait to see how he continues.

STORY OF THE MONTH

• 3 Years and Counting

Recently, our beloved department hit its 3-year mark of creation. It is obvious that the community has seen pillars of our county be built up by the Sheriff's Department. The Executive Staff and Command Staff have put in extreme work in building the department to what it is today, but we cannot forget the Field Staff and their strenuous efforts contributed as well.

Throughout the three years, the department has grown, added divisions and bureaus, bolstering recourses and operations. Our Detention and Parole Bureau has done an exquisite job with paroling as well as their Detention Division making sure felons are off the street. The Special Enforcement Detail packs a punch as our tactical element. They are always vigilant in keeping their fellow deputies safe, as well as anyone involved in their operations. With the Sheriff's Investigation Bureau being added recently, they have been able to create cases and bring down high-ranking criminal associates.

The other departments in the department also help out tremendously. The creation of these divisions has formed standup deputies, specializing in specific duties throughout the county. The Highway Enforcement Division uses its checkpoints to ensure entry to the county is done safely and has cut down on any illegal contraband being brought north. The Air Support Division has always been a vital part of pursuits and tactical situations due to its maneuverability and speed. The Recruitment and Employment Division, as well as the Field Training Division, has also ensured we are receiving the utmost quality of trainees and ensures their training is up to par. The K9 division, while new, has been a big part in aiding the HED checkpoints as well as also finding contraband in the county.

While it sometimes seems hard to visualize the good the department has done, it is evident by looking at the statistics.

There has been APPROXIMATELY,
    • 8,500 Arrests
    • 3,900 Traffic Stop Reports
    • 2,400 Firearms Seized from Arrests

To celebrate these beautiful three years, the department held a Romeo Award ceremony at its new property. Awards were decided upon by the Sheriff and SID, and a poll was sent out to all deputies to vote on. During the event, the department awarded these chosen deputies with their new titles and had a celebration. Below are the awards given, and their recipients.
    Awards
    • Best Driver - Undersheriff Harry Payne
    • Best Reinstatement - Agent Umbra Smith
    • Most Likely to Crash in a Pursuit - Field Agent Wiley Reno
    • Most Likely to 10-3 Over Radio - Assistant Sheriff Robert Jeys
    • Biggest Paperwork Fan - Captain Garret Groyce
    • Best Pilot - Master Deputy Bunkie Johnson
    • Most Likely to Issue a Citation for Going One Mile Over the Speed Limit - Lieutenant Christopher Porter
    • Most Likely to Approve an LOA in One Minute - Investigator II Toni Salatoni
    • Most Likely to Yell at a Suspect - Master Deputy James Valor
    • Most Likely to Have Their Cruiser Stolen - Deputy Sheriff III Alex Mathews
    • Most Likely to Submit an LOA - Commander Tyrone Balakay
    • Deputy of 2022 - Master Deputy Bunkie Johnson
    Here is to many more years, memories, and most importantly, safe days in the county.

-

DEPUTY SPOTLIGHT

This month we are pleased to announce our deputy spotlight goes to Deputy Sheriff II Dave Spencer! Deputy Spencer has demonstrated a great work ethic and diligent work in the field!

As a Deputy Sheriff II, Dave is a good example of the values our department stands for. In general, Deputy Spencer can be described as a hard-working department member we are proud to have. Having only joined the department on January the 28th 2022, Dave has certainly demonstrated his expressed interest in his work, has become a member of 4 internal divisions during his time in the department. He has certainly made a great impression with everyone boasting 58 pieces of paperwork in the last month alone!

The Sheriff's Information Division reached out to Deputy Spencer to get a greater insight into him as a person and for the public to get to know him better.
    How long have you been serving in the Sheriff's Department?
    I have been serving with the Sheriff's Department for around 8 months now. I completed my academy on the 28th of January which seems so long ago.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?

It's hard to pick one as I have so many memories. If I had to pick it would be the time I first got into the Highway Enforcement Division. It was the first division I was a part of and I will never forget the greetings I got and the number of colleagues I met that I treat as friends still to this day. On my first day as a Highway Deputy, we had a pursuit and I was partnered up with another deputy. The execution and the teamwork during the pursuit was phenomenal and I knew then that the Sheriff's Department will be a part of me forever.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?

Definitely the number of people you meet along the way, whether it be colleagues, civilians, or members of other departments, there's never a dull moment. It is nice to hear when someone has appreciated what we do and just hearing that I did a good job or helped keep someone that can cause harm off the streets that day is what I strive for.

Where do you see yourself in 6 months' time?

I would like to see myself make it through the ranks to Master Deputy. I like to be involved and never shy away from a challenge. I put 100% effort into what I do and never shy away from a challenge. I would also like to see myself one day being a Highway Deputy II or above. I have served in HED for the longest above all of my other divisions and would like to see myself climb up the ranks.
    What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?

My favorite thing about being a deputy is the multiple opportunities you get to show what we do. We are a respected service and I wear my uniform in pride and go home knowing that I have done my duty and put everything I can into what I do every day.

What does the Sheriff's Department motto, "A Tradition of Service," mean to you?

To me our motto means everything. It is an indication that we are to keep high standards of service as a tradition. Our reputation as the Sheriff's department is represented by every single serving and previously served member. We take pride in our jobs and performances when we are out on the field. Everything we do out there has a reflection directly on the public and we have to make sure its a positive one
    -

PROMOTIONS

• Image Corporal ► Image Sergeant
    • Miles Logan
    Image Investigator I ► Image Investigator I (SiT)
    • Timothee Olsen
    Image Master Deputy ► Image Corporal
    • Colt Smith (Reinstatement)
    Image Master Deputy ► Image Agent
    • Filmoore Grayson
    Image Master Deputy ► Image Investigator I
    • Bunkie Johnson
    Image Deputy Sheriff III ► Image Master Deputy
    • Audrey Hartwell
    • Jeremy Williams
    • Arhkyp Kobylansky
    • Kian Lawless
    • James Valor
    Image Deputy Sheriff II ► Image Deputy Sheriff III
    • Bobo Cheeka (Reinstatement)
    • Michael Fontana
    • Adam Scotts (Transfer)
    • William Cemeni (Transfer)
    Image Deputy Sheriff I ► Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Jim Buckridge (Transfer)
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee ►Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Louise Hoffman (Reinstatement)
    • Anthony Parr
    • Sam Aspen
    • James Ericsson
    • Levi Handley
    • Luna Montgomery
    • Clark Townsend (Reinstatement)

-

MONTHLY STATISTICS

QUESTION OF THE MONTH

• Question of the Month - What Is Your Favorite Memory From Your Time as a Trainee?

Deputy Sheriff Trainee Alester Carter - My favorite memory of being a trainee was the first 10-1 that occurred on my first day after completing the academy. I was slightly nervous and taking it all in and the other deputies and command staff were able to put me at ease with their professionalism and thoughtful exchanges. It was an opportunity to see both how respected command is from my colleagues and also to see the mutual respect shown to the members who put their lives on the line every day to fulfill the noblest cause one can: to help others in need.

Investigator II Toni Salatoni - While I was a Deputy Sheriff Trainee a prolonged time ago, I have retained several distinctive memories of my training. I remember Garret Groyce and Luka Rosselli (now both Captains) taking me out on patrol when no one else would, and offering me vital experience on the field, such as how to deal with different situations.

Deputy Sheriff I Zachery Pines - I would have to say it was when I was required to complete a Daily Observation Report (D.O.R.) on the subject of pursuit protocol. I had completed my Field Training Session (FTS) #3, and before moving onwards to having a Master Deputy conduct my final evaluation, I needed more practice in pursuits.

So, Deputy Zero Hunter and Lieutenant Victoria McJohnson decided to assist me with the necessary practice over in Fort Zancudo. Allow me to also commend these two for their amazing training. Firstly, we started out with the Lieutenant and I in a police scout, while the deputy was in his own police scout to act as the suspect being chased. During this training, there were three stages. Stage one was with me sitting in the passenger seat while the Lieutenant drives so that I could focus on callouts. Stage two was with me driving while focusing on callouts. Stage three was when the Deputy stepped up the complexity of his driving, and the Lieutenant acted like the Deputy that had just joined the TAC channel for pursuit and had no idea what was going on, typically asking for a fresh backup and description of the vehicle.

During the second and third phases of the pursuit DOR, Deputy Hunter was very tricky with his turns in Fort Zancudo. He would often try to get some distance from me, with a combination of speed and unexpected turns. Once he had sufficient distance, he would act as if he was going in circles around a building, but then pull his cruiser into a shipping container box. I would turn the corner expecting to see him in front of me, but then he would be completely out of sight. I would drive forward or take a turn expecting him to have taken a turn somewhere, but at this point, visual was lost. Initially, the Lieutenant was very confused about where the Deputy had gone. Frankly, so was I. When the Deputy had revealed his position, we were both amazed, laughing at how smoothly he hid from us and how oblivious we were to where he went. This was not the only time he pulled this maneuver, either. There are other shipping containers throughout Fort Zancudo, as well as other hiding spots like over in the residential area. Sometimes he would just hide in plain sight and we would speed right past him. Each time visual was lost due to Deputy Hunter hiding, we were all laughing together. In the end, the training session helped me grasp the feeling of giving callouts while being the leader in a pursuit.

-
CLOSING MESSAGE

• Thank you for reading this newsletter. The Sheriff's Information Division is proud of being able to deliver this information to you, as we believe that transparency is the key to success. These past three years have been exceptional for the department and as such, we'd like to thank everyone in the community for our success. We are all dedicated civil servants who will continue to keep the county safe and crime-free.

With that being said, we do believe transparency is the key to success and as such, we'd like to remind the public of a few ways to get information about what happens in the Sheriff's Department. Our ride-along program is a great way to get a first-hand experience of what happens on the field. You can apply to that program here.

Thank you all, and here's to three more years. God bless.
CONTACT INFORMATION

Investigator I Timothee Olsen
    (909) 282-1222 — [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909

Return to “News Room”