[Press Release] A Change in Leadership

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
John Wallace
Undersheriff
ECRP Forum Name:

LSSD Awards

[Press Release] A Change in Leadership

Post by John Wallace »

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

A Change in Leadership
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

• April 9th, 2022
    Dear employees of the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department,

Over the past couple of weeks, I have taken a step back and evaluated our department and my vision of it. Since its official reopening in 2019, the Sheriff's Department has been a success story. We have overcome many obstacles that were in our way and made many decisions that would ultimately bring us to today. We are now a highly respected department and are proud of our development and success.

Over the years we have had many people leave an impression on our department. They were key figures in bringing us forward and have all left a bit of themselves and their ideas right here, where we have taken them and applied them to our training, education, and daily operations. I would like to thank everyone, current, and past employees, who have helped us prosper.

I would not have made the switch from the Los Santos Police Department to the Sheriff's Department if it wasn't for my good friend, Samuel Osborn. He has been a key figure in my development as a leader and someone who I have always respected and admired. We spent many nights figuring out how to create a law enforcement agency out of nothing. He was monumental in the creation of SD and a great leader for all of us.

Another person without whom I couldn't have done this is Undersheriff Harry Payne. It took a great deal of trust in me when I asked him to join me in the Sheriff's Department in 2019. Neither of us knew how successful we would be or if it would be a success at all. But despite the unknown future, Undersheriff Payne has put his trust in me and helped me with leading the Sheriff's Department. We share not only values and principles, but also a deep-rooted friendship. Undersheriff Payne has done a lot for the department and has never been afraid to get his hands dirty and make the first step forward. I am glad to have had him on my side throughout these years.

Assistant Sheriff Hamilton has been a blessing not only for myself but the whole department. His approach to things is always very straightforward and methodical and the results never fail to satisfy. I have seldom known anyone as calm and collected in any given situation as Assistant Sheriff Hamilton. He is a pillar of this department and will continue to be a beacon of reason and strength for the department.

But enough of the past, let us look into the future.

I have spoken to Undersheriff Kirk and Commissioner Langley and I have voiced my desire to step down from leading the Sheriff's Department and have explicitly asked to have Undersheriff Kirk take my position. Leading this department requires a constant evaluation of what is best for the department and its employees. I can say, without a doubt, that putting the department in his hands feels right. He has been a key figure ever since he joined us and continued to progress the department into the future, into today. Without him, we would not be anywhere close to where we are now. I have the utmost respect for Undersheriff Kirk and his ability to lead this department into a bright future.

Today marks an important change for the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department and I am proud that we have reached a point where I can step down and hand over a department that is successful and full of capable people.

Today is not a goodbye, however. I will continue to be a member of Executive Staff and I will have the department's best interests in mind when I work with Sheriff Kirk and Undersheriff Payne to map out the future. I will be assuming the rank of Undersheriff in this department that I have come to love and will continue to be here and fight for all of your interests as I have been doing in the past.

A statement by Sheriff Bobby Kirk:
    I'd like to thank Sheriff Wallace and the Board of Commissioners for being given the trust in leading the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department. Since transferring to this department 2 years ago from the Las Venturas Metropolitan Police Department, this department and its staff have grown immensely on me, and I'm glad to have been able to support the strong camaraderie that exists in the department.

The Sheriff's Department is prosperous, and it's constantly being re-shaped with new things being explored. As the Sheriff, I will make sure that things are run as they have been for the past few years, and I will continue to shape the department following the vision of Sheriff Wallace.
    Please make sure to congratulate your new Sheriff, Bobby Kirk, when you see him and continue to be as hungry for success and progress under his leadership, as you were under mine.

Thank you.
    Sheriff John Wallace

• From
      Sheriff John Wallace
      Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

Return to “News Room”