Sheriff's Newsletter - March 2022

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Timothee Olsen
ECRP Forum Name: Icarus

LSSD Awards

Sheriff's Newsletter - March 2022

Post by Timothee Olsen »

MESSAGE FROM THE SHERIFF

Undersheriff Bobby Kirk
    March has been rather energetic in the Sheriff's Department. There has been a lot of focus on revamping, restructuring, and generally improving both the Detention and Parole Bureau and the Sheriff's Investigations Bureau, which are still in the process of being done. Although these revamps won't fully affect the public, they'll ensure that our Agents and Investigators are more properly trained, better qualified, and generally, that they can provide a better service to the public.

Throughout March, we've also seen a few notable promotions. Captain Balakay was promoted to Commander and assigned to Patrol Operations, where he will work closely with Assistant Sheriff McCornish. They have already begun to review the Sheriff's Department handbook to ensure it's up to date and efficient. We also saw Lieutenant Groyce entering Command Staff following his promotion to Captain. Captain Groyce has been working non-stop with Assistant Sheriff Kemp in revamping and improving the Sheriff's Investigations Bureau, and he was an essential addition to our Command Staff team.
    Additionally, we saw a few supervisors get promoted, which reflects their good performance in the field and off-field.

As we move into April we expect the Sheriff's Department to continue remaining efficient in its day-to-day operations, and that the current revamps and continued to be worked on. With that being said, we had no current plans for any major changes in the department.

Undersheriff Bobby Kirk

DEPUTY OF THE MONTH
    Master Deputy Cliff Derringer

We are pleased to announce Master Deputy Cliff Derringer as Deputy of the Month for March, Deputy Derringer has been employed at the Department for an outstanding 605 days and has shown dedication to the department. Deputy Derringer has been with the Field Training Division since 16th October 2020 and has been an active member of the Detention and Parole Bureau while continuing to be an active member of the Field Training Division, proving himself to be a valuable asset to the Department and our day-to-day operations.

He has recently joined the Special Enforcement Detail and the Recruitment and Employment division where he continues to stand out as a role model to other Deputies. The Sheriff’s Department wishes Master Deputy Derringer nothing but success within the Department while continuing to provide the highest amount of effort. Overall we are very glad and very pleased to award this month's Deputy of the Month, to Deputy Derringer.

We will be watching as the deputy progresses in our ranks and showcases our department's motto. "A Tradition of Service". A bonus payment of $100,000 will be given to the Deputy as a reward for his performance.

STORY OF THE MONTH

• The Sheriff's Department of Los Santos understands the value of community and family.
    As a consequence, the department rarely hesitates to come together in order to strengthen our deputies' bond.

Burgershot recently started hiring again, and customers from all over the city have already been flooding in to work there or to enjoy a hot meal while socializing. Some of our supervisors and deputies went to Burgershot for a short break on a calm evening, but before we knew it, many more had joined them.

The restaurant quickly became packed with deputies looking to unwind after a long shift and share some good food. They formed a queue in front of the counter, conversing with the employees and fellow citizens of the city and striking up enjoyable discussions. Order numbers were shouted out one by one, and everyone received their food from the three hardworking Burgershot employees on the premises at the time.

After half an hour of banter, conversation, and bonding, deputies began to make their way back to their cruisers to resume their patrol, feeling refreshed and ready for the rest of the day ahead of them.

The rehiring of employees at Burgershot has revamped the area, making it a great place for citizens from all walks of life to convene and enjoy a delicious burger.

-

DEPUTY SPOTLIGHT

We are pleased to announce Audrey Hartwell as our deputy spotlight this month. Deputy Hartwell has been a beacon of hope in our department and she has quickly proven herself to be an effective deputy. Deputy Witherfork asked her a few questions about her time in the Sheriff's Department so far.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    LSSD gives me a very strong family vibe and is incredibly open and welcoming to newer deputies like myself. The divisional opportunities, although scarce, are also very open and welcoming to newer deputies looking to increase their circle of influence or responsibilities.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    Finally returning to Law Enforcement was certainly a wave of relief for me, but the warm welcome that I got to the department will most certainly stick with me throughout my career. I think after I had done all of my FTS sessions and when I was in a ROMEO unit, I was in pursuit alone for the first time in months, and everything I loved about Law Enforcement just rushed back to me at that moment. Right after that pursuit, I was promoted to Deputy Sheriff I. I believe I knew I was ready at that point.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    I've always been passionate about Law Enforcement since my first day in the LSPD academy. After a year of retirement from Law Enforcement, I began to miss it incredibly. I took some time off to mourn my mother, and think about what path I'd like to continue down. I always looked up to LSSD during my time in LSPD, and wished I could have the same career opportunities and colleagues that LSSD had, so when deciding to return to Law Enforcement, I made the decision to move to LSSD instead of returning to the LSPD.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    Being a deputy brings a lot of great feelings and moments, but I believe the best would be the fact that the whole department is so welcoming and accepting of everyone. I was afraid that by joining LSSD I would feel excluded, as some departments seem to have "cliques" that make you feel excluded at work, however, LSSD doesn't have that, which is incredible for my morale!

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD in 2 months from now?
    As a very experienced operative in Special Weapons and Tactics teams, I believe the best career path for myself would definitely be SED, and that is exactly the path I will be taking. Before joining SD I was the head of CIC in DOC and an operative in SWAT in the LSPD. I have become very connected to this type of training, and I believe I will be successful in my career path in LSSD's SED.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    Outside of work I'm a city girl, I love to drive around Los Santos and experience new things. Los Santos is filled with people and places I never experienced back at home in the UK, and so I love to spend as much time as I can outside of work experiencing everything new this city can offer.

-

PROMOTIONS

• Image Captain ► Image Commander
    • Tyrone Balakay
    Image Lieutenant ► Image Captain
    • Garret Groyce
    Image Staff Sergeant ►Image Lieutenant
    • Victoria McJohnson
    Image Sergeant ► Image Staff Sergeant
    • Huw Parry
    Image Master Deputy ► Investigator I
    • Colin Quinn
    • Oscar Black
    Image Deputy Sheriff III ► Image Master Deputy
    • Bert Martin
    • Jay Willson
    Image Deputy Sheriff II ► Image Deputy Sheriff III
    • Mark Haynes
    • Jeremy Williams
    • George Hill
    Image Deputy Sheriff I ► Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Ike Vanburen
    • Arhkyp Kobylansky
    • Leonardo Harris
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee ►Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Audrey Hartwell
    • Kian Lawless
    • Mike Solicetto

-

MONTHLY STATISTICS

Question of the Month

• Employees with the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department may seem like they have all the answers to everything, and that things couldn't be finer in life than what they have, but oftentimes, this isn't the case. One Deputy from each level of the Sheriff's Department was surveyed this past month, asking about what their greatest challenges have been in the department thus far.

Undersheriff Bobby Kik :
    I transferred to the Sheriff's Department at the rank I am, so for me, there isn't much in the way of your traditional challenge. However, something that I try my hardest, and find to be an impossible task, is making sure that everyone in the department is kept in good spirits. No matter what, that is what I work towards each and every day I get to wake up in the morning.
    Captain Steve Smyth :
    Similarly to Undersheriff Kirk, I too transferred to the Department at the rank of Captain, and while I haven't been here too long as of yet, I've yet to run into any big challenges. Perhaps the thing I struggle with the most at the moment is learning the geography of the county more in-depth as opposed to the linear nature of the city. I'm sure that soon I'll have the hang of it.
    Staff Sergeant Huw Parry :
    I've been in the department for quite a bit, from Trainee until where I am now, and my biggest challenge probably came during my first handful of months in the department, when I was still a Deputy Sheriff II. I had just joined the Air Support Division, and one of my first few pursuits was one that lasted 2 hours, during which time, I knew very little about the geography of the city. You can imagine how tired I was at the end of it, not just from trying to remember the street names, but also the fact that the darn pursuit lasted so long.
    Agent Wiley Reno :
    Uh... yeah okay... My biggest challenge? that's a tough one... If I had to choose though, I suppose it would be getting over my fear of helicopters. When I was new to the department, I witnessed several incidents including the unfortunate passings of several deputies related to helicopter injuries, and I'm only just now able to be comfortable in the presence of the aircraft at the disposal of our pilots.
    As you can see, Our deputies are faced with their own challenges throughout their time serving, and through the brave faces that serve all of you, our deputies rise above the occasion and make the county a safer place!

-
CLOSING MESSAGE

• Thank you for reading this newsletter. This month saw the welcome of Captain Steve Smyth from the Los Santos Police Department, as well as the promotion of the beloved Groyce to Captain. These two have settled into their command roles in the Los Santos Sheriff's Department and have already begun affecting change in the department and being a beacon of justice and the standards we have in the LSSD.

In addition, we saw the promotion of Commander Balakay, who has already shown a strong dedication to the department during his tenure with us. With this, we've had a lot of internal changes in supervising positions and have already begun training the next batch of Sergeants.

We'd like to thank all of our sister agencies for attending our feelings circle that we held at the beginning of March. With the rise of so many heinous criminal organizations, it is ever so prevalent that our members feel heard and safe. The Sheriff's Department wishes everyone a wonderful April and hopes that we have great weather this month.
CONTACT INFORMATION

Undersheriff Bobby Kirk
    (909) 596-1688 — [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909

Return to “News Room”