Sheriff's Newsletter - April 2024

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Amelia Clark
Lieutenant
ECRP Forum Name: Tenbae

LSSD Awards

Sheriff's Newsletter - April 2024

Post by Amelia Clark »

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

Monthly Newsletter
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

Sheriff Bobby Kirk

MESSAGE FROM THE SHERIFF
    Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    As we embark on the journey into May, our endeavors within the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department remain steadfast and dynamic. This month, I am thrilled to share some significant updates.

I would like to begin with a sincere acknowledgment of Captain Sean Hamilton, who, having served with distinction as an Assistant Sheriff, has opted to transition to the rank of Captain. In this capacity, he will concentrate more on field duties with reduced administrative responsibilities, a shift he has been contemplating for some time. I extend my deepest appreciation to Captain Hamilton for his unwavering service and eagerly anticipate his ongoing contributions not only to the department but also to the communities of the San Andreas region.

Following the vacancy resulting from Captain Hamilton’s reassignment, it is with immense pleasure that I announce the promotion of Joe Olson to the role of Assistant Sheriff of Patrol Operations, effective April 28th. Assistant Sheriff Olson will now oversee primary patrol zones, along with the K9 and Highway Enforcement Divisions. Assistant Sheriff Olson is a veteran of the department and has been involved in spearheading many of our projects, having experience in both administrative as well as patrol positions. I am looking forward to seeing how he will further develop our Patrol Operations.

I also wish to commend our remarkably dedicated Recruitment and Employment Division and the general field staff team involved in last weekend's walk-in recruitment event. Much like its predecessor, this event was a resounding success, resulting in the recruitment of over 10 new academy students who will soon embark on the journey to become Deputy Sheriff Trainees. I am eager to witness their growth as they progress through our Field Training Program.

Here's to anticipating another remarkable month as we embrace the opportunities of May.

Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    -
    -
    -
    -
DEPUTY OF THE MONTH

• Deputy Sheriff III William Club
    Deputy Sheriff III William Club graduated from the LSSD Academy on the 10th of December 2023 and has since then, shown dedication towards his duties as a Deputy Sheriff. He is currently a part of the Recruitment and Employment Division, Field Training Division, Highway Enforcement Division, and SIB as a Crime Scene Technician. We are proud to have Club in our ranks and we wish to congratulate him on his well-deserved Deputy of the Month Award.

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I have been a member of the Los Santos Sheriff's Department since the 10th of December 2023.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    My favorite part is contributing to making the county a safer place. I especially enjoy the work I do as a crime scene technician with the Sheriff's Investigation Bureau.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    My most memorable moment was my promotion to Deputy Sheriff I. Captain Trent took me out for a patrol, and after a while had me stop at his favorite lucky gas pump to fill up the cruiser. When I got out of the car there was a note that said congratulations on your promotion which he had set up prior to our patrol. This was a really cool gesture that made me feel like part of the family.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    I struggled to find something I was passionate about. Every job just felt like I was doing something I hated and all I cared about was the tiny little paycheck at the end of the week. I wanted to do something I would enjoy, something that seemed like I was making a difference, not just catching an endless supply of fish. I joined the Sheriff's dept. and have loved every minute since.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    In my opinion, the greatest feeling is when you are able to stop a crime before it ever happens. Catching someone with an illegal firearm that they may have later used in a crime, and getting that firearm off the streets. Knowing that you may have just saved a life, or multiple is a great feeling.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    Two months from now I hope to be continuing on my path to investigator. It is a very long road, but I am keeping my eye on the prize and doing my best every day to keep working towards that.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    Outside of work, I enjoy exercising to ensure I am fit for duty and investing in real estate around the county.

DIVISION SPOTLIGHT
  • Special Enforcement Detail

The Special Enforcement Detail is a division under Countywide Operations, led by Commanding Officer Captain Victoria McJohnson and Staff Sergeant Cliff Derringer. The Special Enforcement Detail is one of our most important areas of expertise, assisting general field staff and the Sheriff's Investigation Bureau where it needs when it needs. We have reached out to the SED Command team for more detailed information, so read below if you wish to learn more!

What is the purpose and mission of your division?
    The priority goal of SED is to bring modern policing equipment and tactics to combat violent criminals in situations that go beyond an ordinary patrol deputy's scope of duties. With extensive training, an intertwined sense of comradery among its members, and discipline in the face of danger.

How many employees does the Special Enforcement Detail have?
    SED currently hosts a roster of 19 operators, 5 of which are SED Command Staff.

Are there any statistics that you would like to share from your division?
    In the Month of April, SED has conducted 19 operations with 5 Warrant Hunts, 2 search warrants, and many other high-risk situations in need of tactical resources.

How has the progress of your division been during the month?
    The division has progressed well with 2 trainee operators graduated and one more currently working through the final steps of his training program. The division continues to grow every day aside from some brief short comings in the last month or two.

Do you have any established goals for the future?
    The division's goal in the coming months is to petition for more equipment access and to establish better relationships with our sister divisions in the department. Command plans to expand SED's operation capacity to more proactive tasks within the agency.

Are there any memorable moments this month related to your division that you can share?
    I'd like to highlight SED's exemplary work in a Hostage Situation that was handled on April 21, 2024. The suspects, armed with heavy machine guns, suppressed handguns, and bodyarmor, kidnapped a high profile member of Government and barricaded themselves in Tinsel Towers. SED played a critical role in breaching the room and rescuing the hostage. I'd like to take this time to commend the operators involved in that situation, but their names shall remain confidential to protect them from retaliation.

-
DEPUTY SPOTLIGHT

• Deputy Sheriff II Gavin Sands
    Deputy Sheriff II Gavin Sands originally graduated from the LSSD Academy on the 28th of October 2023 but was reinstated back to the LSSD on the 12th of April 2024. Deputy Sands is an active and trustworthy employee and has a lot of potential to reach his ambitions. Today, he is a part of the Air Support Division, Field Training Division, and the Highway Enforcement Division. We are glad that we get to highlight Deputy Sands this month, and properly welcome him back to the department.

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I was recently reinstated to the Los Santos Sheriff's Department on April 10th, 2024.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    My favorite thing about being a deputy in the Los Santos Sheriff's Department is seeing the positive impact we have on the city of Sos Santos and being surrounded by my coworkers who all feel like family.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    My most memorable moment while serving as a deputy has to be getting promoted from Deputy Sheriff Trainee to Deputy Sheriff I. I was not expecting it and was tricked into thinking I was about to get fired before actually getting promoted.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    I became a deputy because I felt a need to give back to the city that I grew up in.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    The greatest feeling about being a deputy is saving the innocent people who get put into harm's way for no reason at all.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    Two months from now I hope to be a Deputy Sheriff III and apply to become apart of the Special Enforcement Details department in the Los Santos Sheriff's Department.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    Outside of work in enjoy boating and flying with my friends, with the occasional gambling here and there

-
PROMOTIONS

• Image Commander ► Image Assistant Sheriff
    • Joe Olson
    Image Staff Sergeant ►Image Lieutenant
    • Fillmoore Grayson
    Image Corporal ► Image Sergeant
    • Leif Helgarson
    Investigator I (SiT) ► Investigator II
    • Hugo Hernandez
    Image Master Deputy ► Image Corporal
    • Scott Pierce
    Image Master Deputy ► Investigator I
    • Harvey Lockwood
    Image Master Deputy
    • Bubba Freeman (Transfer)
    Image Deputy Sheriff III ► Image Master Deputy
    • Al Hollyrock
    • Ania Wawrzyniec
    • Hans Waltz
    Image Deputy Sheriff II ► Image Deputy Sheriff III
    • Clay Thompson
    • Arnold Rimmer
    Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Harper Flynn (Reinstatement)
    • Fitz Keegan (Reinstatement)
    • Mark Haynes (Reinstatement)
    • Gavin Sands (Reinstatement)
    • Matt Crane (Reinstatement)
    Image Deputy Sheriff I ► Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Anisa Tyr
    • James Boots
    • Lily Hartwell
    • Stela Cater
    Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Brittany Wojciechowski (Reinstatement)
    • Landon Reagan (Reinstatement)
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee ►Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Roman Dallas
    • Chris Richardsun
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee
    • Emerson Lugo (Reinstatement)
    • Cruz Griffin
    • Kon Keistador
    • Nolan Teach
    • Samuel Armstrong
    • Madden Miller (Reinstatement)

-
MONTHLY STATISTICS

QUESTION OF THE MONTH
  • What are some common misconceptions people have about the work you do?
  • Assistant Sheriff Tyrone Balakay wrote:I believe the biggest misconception that we face as a department is our true motivation. Many people think that we are here to solely arrest people and give out tickets, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Our true goal is to keep everyone in the county as safe as possible, and at some points, that may be difficult.
    Captain Wiley Reno wrote: I get around quite a lot in the Sheriff's Department, and I've been in a great many division. I'm a long-time command member of the Recruitment and Employment Division in the department, a division that ensures a continued history of the department past our current membership's employment. Although everyone knows that RED runs recruitment and such, many don't know about the high problem-solving skills that RED requires for it's developing problems. Whether it be angry denied applicants or highly-capable future employees, RED requires deep critical thinking skills into the impact of future employees.

As well, I have recently had a heightened focus on supervisory training due to my position as the assistant-commanding officer of the Supervisor Training Program. It is my duty to ensure that our current supervisors and next generation of supervisors are to the department's highest standard, ensuring a continued excellence of service.
    Corporal Sayaka Yukimura wrote: I feel like the biggest misconception people have about the supervisor team is being too lazy to handle things on scene. Supervisors are trained to always be available to handle anything at a drop of a dime, ranging from aggressive detainees, having to split units between scenes, or anything else. By assigning field staff to jobs on scene, allows the supervisor to use their mental energy to focus on the bigger picture beyond the immediate todo's.

-
CLOSING MESSAGE
  • Thank you for reading the May 2024 Newsletter. As we go through personnel changes, be aware that we are still committed to creating a positive community for the public. Stay tuned on our newsroom for future information regarding upcoming events that are right around the corner!

Currently, our recruitment is OPEN and we would recommend having a look at our Job Opportunities section on the public website to see if you meet the requirements to apply and become a member of our team!
CONTACT INFORMATION

Assistant Sheriff Tyrone Balakay
    (909) 403-2092 — [email protected]

Lieutenant Amelia Clark
    Commanding Officer, Sheriff's Information Division
    (909) 474-8130 — [email protected]

Corporal Sayaka Yukimura
    Probationary Writer, Sheriff's Information Division
    (909) 304-2935 — [email protected]

Deputy Sheriff I Brittany Wojciechowski
    Probationary Writer, Sheriff's Information Division
    (909) 543-5257 — [email protected]