LSPD Awards for Service

SAJB Awards

Suggestion [Citizen]

Post by Cyrus Raven »

• Full Name: Cyrus Raven
    Phone Number: 5356160
    Position in Agency: N/A
  • Detailed information of your inquiry:
    • I wanted to submit a suggestion to the Judicial Branch, but I don't see a specific format for that. I hope it's ok that I used the public inquiry format.

As someone with a criminal case pending and having been Prosecution and Defense, I am sure the dreaded backlog is still an issue that the Judicial Branch is dealing with.

I wanted to share a rough outline of a new system to handle criminal cases which I believe might help with the backlog. Keep in mind there might be aspects I haven't taken into account, as such I ask that you read this suggestion with an open mind and have a fruitful internal discussion.
      Current System:

- Criminal Case is Submitted by Arrestee or Attorney
      - Criminal Case is Received by a Judge
      - Criminal Case waits to be activated on a first come first serve basis
      - Prosecution submits discovery within 7 days
      - Defense submits motions within 72 hours
      - Judge Rules on any pending motions
      - Trial Schedule
      - Trial
      - End of Case

Problems with Current System:

- Cases take months to be activated and concluded.
      - Backlog contributes to the length of time a case takes to be concluded.
      - ((By the time a case is activated there's no guarantee the player is still actively playing on the server or interested in continuing))

New System:

- Criminal Case is Submitted by Arrestee or Attorney
      - Criminal Case is Received by the Court
      - Prosecution has 7 days to gather evidence from the date a case is submitted. // Prosecution can also use this time to offer plea deals or dismiss the case. // Motion for Continuance if case is complex (Several Felonies/Several Charges, etc...)
      - Defense is given 7 days after the prosecution has submitted discovery to submit their own evidence or motions // Defense must confirm if they wish to proceed with the case.
      - Case Dismissed if Defense fails to ''check-in'' and confirm they want to continue.
      Else
      - Case is Activated,
      - Judge Rules on any pending motions
      - Trial Schedule
      - Trial
      - End of Case

Issues Solved by New System:

- All cases continue to be reviewed on a first come first serve basis. Discovery is provided within 7 days for all cases. Complex cases can be extended via a motion for continuance.
      - A backlog will still exist, however the posting of evidence within 7 days of a case being received prevents evidence decay (e.g body-cam footage not being available, witnesses providing statements months later)
      - Allows Defence to decide on the best course of action, including a motion to dismiss after evidence is posted.
      - The trial portion of these cases will be held on a first ready first serve basis, meaning cases where both parties have submitted evidence and gone through all pending motions are heard first.

Potential Problems:

- Increased workload for prosecution and Law Enforcement. This new system is likely to increase prosecution workload. However, CIRs are generally filled within 24-48 hours of a case being submitted on the docket anyway.

- Law Enforcement who would have to stick to the 7 day deadline. Arrests in Los Santos are already somewhat outside the norms of the constitution in so far that you are considered guilty until proven innocent. As such, Law Enforcement conducting arrests should make sure their case is solid. If not, they can delay an arrest an opt for an indictment or investigate fuirther and issue charges at a later date.

- Increased workload for Defense Attorneys as they'll have to handle Defendants almost from the start of a criminal case as opposed to only when a case is activated.

((OOC Notes:

The increased activity on the docket for both Defense and Prosecution (Including Law Enforcement) isn't necessarily bad, it keeps players engaged in the RP and avoids JB having to stand around doing nothing, allowing players interesting daily interactions such as meetings for depositions, client meetings, etc... In general, knowing a case will progress somewhat quickly will hopefully serve as an incentive for people to log in and interact with different parties.

I recommend only considering this system if and when the new plea deal/arrest system gets pushed by devs as this is likely to reduce small/troll/ one time player cases being submitted to the docket.))
Kendall Groyce
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name: idgafashlee

Re: Suggestion [Citizen]

Post by Kendall Groyce »

San Andreas Judicial Branch
Public Inquiry - Cyrus Raven

"EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER LAW"

• Mr Raven,

Kind regards and thank you for making this inquiry! The Judicial Branch appreciates the time and effort you put forth in bringing forward this information. The Judicial Branch is always looking for ways to improve our system and work more effectively, as such these quality improvement suggestions are acknowledged and cherished!
    I will be bringing forward these suggestions at our monthly Judicial Branch meeting to open a discussion as to how we believe some of these suggestions may fit our system and if we can potentially begin implementing them.

Thank you again for your time and efforts in this matter! Should you have any further inquiries, I will be leaving this open for the next few days, if you have any follow-up questions.

Respectfully,

Prosecuting Attorney
    Public Relations Representative
    Training and Hiring Staff
    San Andreas Judicial Branch
    (909) 489-9881 — [email protected]

Return to “SAJB - Archived Public Inquiries”