#23-CM-0104, State of San Andreas v. Jamie Valentine

Jamie Valentine
ECRP Forum Name:

#23-CM-0104, State of San Andreas v. Jamie Valentine

Post by Jamie Valentine »

Defendant Name: Jamie Valentine
Defendant Phone: 494-7833
Defendant Address: 121 Del Perro Apartments
(( Defendant Discord: powerctf - 474169007935848448 ))
Requested Attorney:
Charging Department: Los Santos Police Department
Date & Time of Incident(s): 18/AUG/2023 13:30
Charge(s):
  • Felony Evading
  • Obstruction of Justice
Narrative:
I was relaxing with my friends when we had seen someone getting into a Police chase and decided to follow along and see what was happening. We eventually see that the individual is about to be caught in the Police chase and myself and my friends decide to leave the area, as we make this choice the man being chased by Police Officers leaves his vehicle and runs towards me, shouting, "Let me in your car or I will kill you!". In an act of flurry for my life and the fear of dying, I unlock my car door, the man sits in my passenger seat and says, "If you have a gun, give me it! I will slit your throat and KEEP DRIVING!". I do as this man says as the knife he is holding against me was starting to dig into my abdomen and I continue to drive until eventually the tyres of my vehicle are shot and we are surrounded by Los Santos Police Department officers, to which the man then puts a gun to my head whilst Officers are trying to gain control of this situation. I am a Manager at Bayview, not a harderned criminal who evades from officers!

Officer 24401 & Officer Captain Nash were involved in this situation and I'm sure can provide useful insight!

I, Jamie Valentine, hereby affirm that all information provided above is true and correct to the best of my knowledge, and understand that knowingly providing false information could result in additional charges and/or fines. (( I affirm that all information submitted has been obtained via In-Character means. ))
Last edited by Jamie Valentine on Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope Kant
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name:

SAJB Awards

Re: State of San Andreas vs Jamie Valentine

Post by Hope Kant »

San Andreas Judicial Branch

Superior Court of San Andreas
"EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER LAW"

NOTIFICATION OF COUNSEL

IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF SAN ANDREAS

State of San Andreas v. Jamie Valentine

A Notification of Counsel was filed in the above case on 18/AUG/2023.

I, Hope Kant, a Prosecuting Attorney with the San Andreas Judicial Branch, will be representing the State of San Andreas in the underlying case.

I will be taking the responsibility of Primary Counsel and will await further instruction from the Presiding Judge.

Senior Prosecuting Attorney
Director of Public Notary
(909) 321-2132 — [email protected]
Robert Winejudge
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name:

SAJB Awards

Re: State of San Andreas v. Jamie Valentine

Post by Robert Winejudge »

NOTICE OF RECEIPT

The court has hereby received and acknowledged the above case on the 21st of August, 2023.

The Superior Court of San Andreas has received your filing and the case is now pending activation. Be advised that the court system runs on a first-come, first-served basis and will only activate cases out of order for special circumstances.

During this time, the defendant is encouraged to reach out to a licensed defense attorney in order to prepare a proper defense, otherwise, a court-appointed attorney will be assigned to the case upon its activation.

The defendant is further encouraged to speak with an authorized individual at Rockford Hills City Hall, Mission Row Police Station, or Paleto Bay Sheriff's Office for official clarification on the specific charges received and their respective date and times, as once the case has been activated, any omitted charges will be considered abandoned and unable to be disputed within this case.

Superior Court Judge
(909) 372-4223 — [email protected]
Lisa Winter
Lead Paramedic
ECRP Forum Name: Lisa Winters

LSEMS Awards

Re: State of San Andreas v. Jamie Valentine

Post by Lisa Winter »

NOTIFICATION OF COUNSEL

A Notification of Counsel was filed in the above case on the 22nd of August 2023.

I, Lisa Winter, a Public Defense Attorney with the San Andreas Judicial Branch, will be representing the Defendant, Jamie Valentine in the underlying case.

I will be taking the responsibility of Primary Counsel and will await further instruction from the Presiding Judge.

Public Defense Attorney
(909) 233-5420 — [email protected]Image
Judith Mason
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name: Judge Judy

SAJB Awards

Re: #23-CM-0104, State of San Andreas v. Jamie Valentine

Post by Judith Mason »

NOTICE OF ACTIVATION

#23-CM-0104

A Notice of Activation was entered in the above case on the 30th day of October, 2023.

The case of the State of San Andreas v. Jamie Valentine is hereby activated by this Court under #23-CM-0104.

Both the State and Defendant have adequate representation in the case, as such, immediately following this notice, the Presiding Judge will be filing the Order for Discovery.

Chief Justice
(909) 257-9183 — [email protected]
Judith Mason
Judicial Branch

SAJB Awards

Post by Judith Mason »

ORDER FOR DISCOVERY

#23-CM-0104

A court order was entered in the above case on the 30th day of October, 2023.

The case of #23-CM-0104, State of San Andreas v. Jamie Valentine is hereby opened and acknowledged by the Court.

The prosecution is hereby ordered to provide all evidence collected from the arresting Law Enforcement Agency and submit it to the Court via Motion for Discovery within seven days. If additional time is needed, the prosecution can file a Motion for Continuance.

Once evidence has been submitted to the official docket the defense can begin filing motions.

Chief Justice
Hope Kant
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name:

SAJB Awards

Post by Hope Kant »

MOTION FOR DISCOVERY

#23-CM-0104

A Motion for Discovery was filed in the above case on the 30th day of October, 2023.

The State of San Andreas by and through the undersigned attorney, filed this Motion for Discovery, and presents the following as evidence;

• Exhibit #1: Jamie Valentine LSPD Arrest Report 18/AUG/2023

Los Santos Police Department

ARREST REPORT
    "TO PROTECT AND TO SERVE"

MUGSHOT
    • SUSPECT DETAILS
      • Full Name: Jamie Valentine
        Phone Number: 4947833
        Licenses Suspended: Yes
        Officers Involved:
        • Police Captain II Jaxon Nash
        • Police Captain II Jessica Nash
        • Police Officer III Gary Woods
        • Police Officer III+1 Brian Dox
        • Police Officer I Edward Linton
        Charges:
        • VF01 - Evading an Officer
        • GM14 - Obstruction of Justice
      INCIDENT NARRATIVE
      • Incident Date: 18/AUG/2023

Explain what happened, sufficient detail must be given to justify the placed charges, videos could be provided.
        • During the pursuit of a vehicle, we were authorized for lethal force due to being shot at. The vehicle the original suspect was in, as a result of us shooting back, lost each of its tires. So the man got out of his vehicle and into Jamie's Issi. The tires were also taken on it while it evaded, until it was eventually boxed, Jamie was then arrested and taken to DOC for Processing
      EVIDENCE DETAILS
      • Document the possessions confiscated from the arrested suspect.
        Possessions are to be documented individually, examples of documented illegal possessions are "Pistol .50" or "12 grams of Cocaine". Legal possessions that can be categorized may be grouped, eg. "Clothing" to describe all clothing items. Body camera footage/pictures may be attached as an evidence exhibit.

Where possible, the serial number of each firearm seized as evidence should be noted.
        • Illegal Possessions:

Legal Possessions:
          Exhibit A: X8 Articles of Clothing
          Exhibit B: Empty Water Bottle
          Exhibit C: Soda
          Exhibit D: Knife
          Exhibit E: Radio
          Exhibit F: GPS

Photograph of Possessions (MANDATORY)
    Exhibit #2: Shawn Goodwin LSPD Arrest Report 18/AUG/2023

ARREST REPORT
    "TO PROTECT AND TO SERVE"

MUGSHOT
    • SUSPECT DETAILS
      • Full Name: Shawn Goodwin
        Phone Number: 5962485
        Licenses Suspended: Yes
        Officers Involved:
        • Police Officer III+1 Brian Dox
        • Police Captain II Jaxon Nash
        • Police Captain II Jessica Nash
        • Police Officer II Dutch Kon
        Charges:
        • VF01 - Evading an Officer
        • WM02 - Possession of a Class 1 Firearm
        • VF04 - Felony Public Endangerment
        • SF09 - False Imprisonment of a Hostage
        • Attempted Aggravated SF02 - Murder of a Gov. Employee
        • GM19 - Face Concealment (b)
      INCIDENT NARRATIVE

Explain what happened, sufficient detail must be given to justify the placed charges, videos could be provided.
        • I joined a pursuit of a gray paragon where they led us through an ambush. They crashed and we apprehended a suspect. We saw a white Komoda with a camo at the back inside the red parking at the ambush location. We gained visual of it after the paragon pursuit ended and we attempted to pull it over. They shot our tires and the komoda fled. We initiated pursuit where Mr Goodwin was the driver of the Komoda. We returned fire upon the Komoda and they swapped into an Issi sport. We chased down the issi sport and returned fire and Mr Goodwin took the driver hostage. We gave him a police cruiser and we took its tires once he was mobile. He got out of the cruiser and opened fire upon myself and Captain Jaxon Nash. He hospitalized Captain Nash and I neutralized him. He was treated by MD and was taken to DOC by Officer Kon. The firearm Mr Goodwin was in possession of was registered to a Jamie Valentine which was also arrested during this incident.
      EVIDENCE DETAILS
      • Document the possessions confiscated from the arrested suspect.
        Possessions are to be documented individually, examples of documented illegal possessions are "Pistol .50" or "12 grams of Cocaine". Legal possessions that can be categorized may be grouped, eg. "Clothing" to describe all clothing items. Body camera footage/pictures may be attached as an evidence exhibit.

Where possible, the serial number of each firearm seized as evidence should be noted.
        • Illegal Possessions:
          Exhibit A: Pistol .50 1686723873495

Legal Possessions:
          Exhibit A: Clothing
          Exhibit B: GPS
          Exhibit C: Car speaker
          Exhibit D: Radio
          Exhibit E: Lockpick
          Exhibit F: 2 bottles of water
          Exhibit G: battery

Photograph of Possessions (MANDATORY)
    Exhibit #3: Police Officer I Linton Witness Statement

Official Witness Statement
    "HERE FOR YOU | SAFE FOR YOU"
    Case Information
    • Incident Date: [18/AUG/2023]
    Witness Information
    • Name: Edward Linton
      Date of Birth: 02/SEP/1990
      Phone Number: 286-4405
    Witness Statement
    • I got on shift, and after seeing that TAC-1 had units in it, I made the radio call asking if they needed additional. I then got an affirmative response from Captain Jessica Nash and joined. This was a pursuit of a paragon, which went on for quite some time with many vehicles interfering and attempting to PIT us. The paragon pursuit then ended when it head-on collided with a cruiser. We remained in TAC for the other vehicles which had interfered previously.

Captain Jaxon Nash and Officer Brian Dox in an HSIU called in a 10-55 of a komoda, which was one of the interference vehicles. I arrived to assist, and when I did, they reversed back so I could conduct the traffic stop, and then they would be prepared to pursue in the HSIU if the vehicle took off. While talking with the driver and he refused to show his license or take off his mask, he took off leading into another pursuit. During this pursuit, we went northbound on La Puerta Freeway past Red Parking, from which people were shooting at our cruisers. Because of this, the call to take the komoda's tires was given, and so they were. The pursuit stopped close to Pink Cage Bank, just north of Pillbox, where the suspect got out of his vehicle, running over to a black issi and hopping in again. Tires were taken, and the issi was boxed. The driver got out and put his hands up, while the passenger kept saying he was gonna shoot him. His demand was for an unlocked cruiser, and I believe it was Captain Jaxon Nash who gave the go-ahead to unlock my cruiser, which was furthest away from us and the suspect. So, I unlocked it, and that led to another situation.

I myself was not close enough to hear anything close to the issi, so I am unable to say either way what happened. I only heard threats after we had crashed and had our guns drawn. I also, unfortunately, was not close enough to see or hear the vehicle lock or unlock, so it could have been in either state.
    Witness Affirmation
    • I, Edward Linton, affirm that the above statement is true to the best of my knowledge and belief. I affirm that this statement has been made voluntarily, made without promise of reward, and made not under threat, force, or coercion. ((I affirm that all information submitted has been obtained via In-Character means.))

Signed,

Edward Linton
      Edward Linton
      Police Officer I

Date: 25/AUG/2023
    Exhibit #4: Police Captain II Jessica Nash Witness Statement
    (Edited by presiding judge to reflect 09/NOV Court Decision)

Case Information
    Witness Information
    • Name: [Jessica Nash]
      Date of Birth: [REDACTED]
      Phone Number: [REDACTED]
      Occupation: [Police Captain II, With the Los Santos Police Department]
    Witness Statement
    • I was the airship in this pursuit. The suspect had multiple friends & vehicles following the pursuit line. Mr Valentine in his Issi was told twice to leave the pursuit line as he followed along. It was clear when on Spanish avenue that our intended suspect was near the end of his pursuit when Mr Valentine came north on Meteor street, seeing his "Friend" the suspect spinning out and trying to be boxed in. He did a U-turn and when south, to try and pick him up from the south but U-turned and came back towards the scene on the intersection of Meteor street and Spanish ave, handbrake turning, unlocking his car and letting the suspect evade with him, without any hesitation. He was clearly an accompliss.
    Witness Affirmation
    • I, Jessica Nash, affirm that the above statement is true to the best of my knowledge and belief. I affirm that this statement has been made voluntarily, made without promise of reward, and made not under threat, force, or coercion. ((I affirm that all information submitted has been obtained via In-Character means.))

Signed,

Captain II Jessica Nash,
      Date: [25/AUG/2023]
    Exhibit #5: Police Officer III+1 Dox Witness Statement

Case Information
    Witness Information
    • Name: [Brian Dox]
      Date of Birth: [01/OCT/2000]
      Phone Number: [329-3519]
    Witness Statement
    • [I clocked on shift and was immediately asked to join a pursuit of a Paragon R, they led us through ambushes and they ended up crashing. We secured the suspect and then pulled over one of the vehicles spotted at the ambush scene. The vehicle pulled over fled from the traffic stop as some of their friends shot our tires. We returned fire and we managed to get the vehicle to a stop. A black issi sport was spotted in the pursuit lines multiple times and was actively following. The person from the ambush car dismounted and went into the Black issi sport. The black Issi sport then started evading and they crashed, where the passenger took Mr Valentine, which at that moment was the driver hostage. We resolved the hostage situation and Mr Valentine was in safety as we chased down the hostage taker.]
    Witness Affirmation
    • I, [Brian Dox], affirm that the above statement is true to the best of my knowledge and belief. I affirm that this statement has been made voluntarily, made without promise of reward, and made not under threat, force, or coercion. ((I affirm that all information submitted has been obtained via In-Character means.))

Signed,

[Brian Dox]
      [Police Officer III+1]
      [Los Santos Police Department]

Date: [27/AUG/2023]
    Exhibit #6: Police Captain II Jaxon Nash Witness Statement

Case Information
    Witness Information
    • Name: Jaxon Nash
      Date of Birth: 31/AUG/1991
      Phone Number: Redacted
      Occupation: Police Captain II with the Los Santos Police Department
    Witness Statement
    • This all started as we were pursuing a vehicle that took officers onto the La Puerta freeway north bound passing red parking, as officers passed red parking shots started ringing out at officers. One of the units in the pursuit line, I believe it was Officer Dox, noticed a grey in color Kamacho, and a white with grey and black livery Komoda leaving the area. The pursuit continued on the original vehicle, who was later caught and arrested at Lower Power street just off of Vespucci Blvd. While arresting that driver we saw the same Komoda again in the area, and shorty after it was called out at Parking.

A traffic stop was conducted on the Komoda owned by Mr. Goodwin, during the traffic stop officers were once again shot at and Mr. Goodwin decided to flee. Officers were instructed to take the tires of the vehicle as he fled. During the pursuit and this can be backed up by my body cam which will be attached below, a black Issi Sport was involving themselves as Mr. Goodwin fled. After loosing all of the tires on the Komoda Mr. Goodwin was heading west on Spanish Ave before spinning out slightly. At which point Mr. Goodwin heads east bound on Spanish Ave where the Issi was sitting. Mr. Goodwin then crashes his vehicle, gets out of his vehicle unarmed might I add and gets into the waiting Issi Sport. The tires were taken on the Issi as the Issi fled.

After stopping the Issi on Innocents Blvd. The passenger (Shawn Goodwin) stated the driver (Jamie Valentine) was a hostage and he wanted free passage, Mr. Goodwin was granted free passage. Both Mr. Goodwin and Mr. Valentine were taken into custody. I believe the "hostage" part was a last ditch effort to get Mr. Goodwin a chance to leave and to not incriminate Mr. Valentine. However Mr. Valentine originally followed the pursuit, awaited Mr. Goodwin to come back to the street Mr. Valentine was on where Mr. Valentine picked up Mr. Goodwin. My bodycam will show that Mr. Valentine had plenty of time to get out of the area, and purposefully waited for Mr. Goodwin as Mr. Goodwin, once again approached Mr. Valentines vehicle unarmed. So I cant imagine that his life was that much at risk.

INCLUDED IN EXHIBIT #9
    Witness Affirmation
    • I, Jaxon Nash, affirm that the above statement is true to the best of my knowledge and belief. I affirm that this statement has been made voluntarily, made without promise of reward, and made not under threat, force, or coercion. ((I affirm that all information submitted has been obtained via In-Character means.))

Signed,

Police Captain II Jaxon Nash
      Date: 25/AUG/2023
    Exhibit #7: Police Officer III Woods Witness Statement

Case Information
    Witness Information
    • Name: [Gary Woods]
      Date of Birth: [14/JUL/1995]
      Phone Number: [436-7720]
    Witness Statement
    • [I Gary Woods, under callsign 4-L-27 on the day of 18/AUG was one of the responders on the pursuit of a Komoda operated at that moment by Shawn Goodwin, reason for the pursuit is still unknown to me due to late response to the incident from Mission Row. Upon some time pursuing Shawn Goodwin in his Komoda few vehicles were in and out of the pursuit line at the time and the incident that is placed under question right now, happened at the intersection on Meteor St. and Spanish Ave. Komoda was abandoned by the suspect Shawn Goodwin at the named intersection when the Black Issi Sport was present already at the place of incident. In my opinion Mr. Valentine could have left the scene, at any given moment as he did had solid 10 seconds to continue driving before he made contact with Shawn Goodwin.

I was few feet away from Mr. Valentine and at that time suspect Goodwin, and I personally did not hear any conversation between them, or demands that were clear enough, prior to Issi Sport being unlocked and Goodwin entering the vehicle which started evading from us. Once the suspects were about to be apprehended we heard from the car that Mr. Valentine is held hostage... allegedly. Looking at the arrest report as Mr. Valentine is claiming he had a knife to his abdomen but Mr. Goodwin arrest report does not include the knife and I find it hard to believe Mr. Valentine was indeed held hostage. As these demands were introduced to us only when the car was immobilized.

Again Mr. Valentine had good amount of time, solid 10 seconds, even before Mr. Goodwin left his own Komoda to leave the scene and continue with his day. These speculations of him being held hostage are without grounds which is why he was treated as a suspect at the conclusion of the incident.

I Gary Woods do not know all the details on Mr. Valentine arrest and applied charges as I have continued after Shawn Goodwin which later on shot at officers and he was neutralized and disarmed, off of the Vespucci Blvd parking lot. And I was not fully present at the beginning of Mr. Goodwin's pursuit]

Presentation of Black Issi Sport Positions

Black Issi Sport had two positions, one in the middle when I arrived, and one just a bit north few feet on Meteor St. in span of 10-15 second

INCLUDED IN EXHIBIT #8
    Witness Affirmation
    • I, [Gary Woods], affirm that the above statement is true to the best of my knowledge and belief. I affirm that this statement has been made voluntarily, made without promise of reward, and made not under threat, force, or coercion. ((I affirm that all information submitted has been obtained via In-Character means.))

Signed,

[Gary Woods]
      [Police Officer III, SWAT, D-Platoon]
      [Los Santos Police Department]

Date: [26/AUG/2023]
    Exhibit #8: Police Officer III Woods Bodycam Footage
    (( Bodycam RP Proof ))
    (( RP of the Bodycam )) Image
    Exhibit #9: Police Captain II Jaxon Nash Bodycam Footage
    Bodycam footage
    (( Proof of RP ))

A Director of Public Notary
Senior Prosecuting Attorney
    Hope Kant
    Judicial Branch
    ECRP Forum Name:

SAJB Awards

Post by Hope Kant »

Docket Notice

• Honorable Judge Mason and pertaining parties,

Let this serve as a notice to show the Prosecution has completed their discovery and no longer needs the rest of the time allocated. We await any further instruction from the Judge.

Respectfully,

Attorney General
    Judith Mason
    Judicial Branch

SAJB Awards

Post by Judith Mason »

• Parties,

With the prosecution's indication that no future time is required for the presentation of discovery, the court will now permit a period of 72 hours for the defense to submit any motions in response. If further time is required by the defense, a Motion for Continuance may be filed as needed.

Respectfully,

Chief Justice
    Lisa Winter
    Lead Paramedic
    ECRP Forum Name: Lisa Winters

LSEMS Awards

Post by Lisa Winter »

MOTION TO SUPPRESS

#23-CM-0104

A Motion to Suppress was filed in the above case on the 31st of October 2023.

The Defendant, Jamie Valentine, by and through the undersigned attorney, filed this Motion to Suppress, and requests to following be suppressed from evidence;

• Exhibit #4: Police Captain II Jessica Nash Witness Statement
      Requested Evidence to Suppress:
      I was the airship in this pursuit. The suspect had multiple friends & vehicles following the pursuit line. Mr Valentine in his Issi was told twice to leave the pursuit line as he followed along. It was clear when on Spanish avenue that our intended suspect was near the end of his pursuit when Mr Valentine came north on Meteor street, seeing his "Friend" spinning out and trying to be boxed in. He did a U-turn and when south, to try and pick him up from the south but U-turned and came back towards the scene on the intersection of Meteor street and Spanish ave, handbrake turning, unlocking his car and letting the suspect evade with him, without any hesitation. He was clearly an accompliss.
      • Detailed Reasoning: Speculation, the Captain here, in the highlighted section, is purely speculating about the intentions of the Issi based on their opinion not facts.

• Exhibit #6: Police Captain II Jaxon Nash Witness Statement
      After stopping the Issi on Innocents Blvd. The passenger (Shawn Goodwin) stated the driver (Jamie Valentine) was a hostage and he wanted free passage, Mr. Goodwin was granted free passage. Both Mr. Goodwin and Mr. Valentine were taken into custody. I believe the "hostage" part was a last ditch effort to get Mr. Goodwin a chance to leave and to not incriminate Mr. Valentine. However Mr. Valentine originally followed the pursuit, awaited Mr. Goodwin to come back to the street Mr. Valentine was on where Mr. Valentine picked up Mr. Goodwin. My bodycam will show that Mr. Valentine had plenty of time to get out of the area, and purposefully waited for Mr. Goodwin as Mr. Goodwin, once again approached Mr. Valentines vehicle unarmed. So I cant imagine that his life was that much at risk.
      • Detailed Reasoning: Speculation, again the captain is speculating about the intentions of the Issi and is based on their Opinion not facts.

• Exhibit #7: Police Officer III Woods Witness Statement
      Once the suspects were about to be apprehended we heard from the car that Mr. Valentine is held hostage... allegedly. Looking at the arrest report as Mr. Valentine is claiming he had a knife to his abdomen but Mr. Goodwin arrest report does not include the knife and I find it hard to believe Mr. Valentine was indeed held hostage. As these demands were introduced to us only when the car was immobilized.

Again Mr. Valentine had good amount of time, solid 10 seconds, even before Mr. Goodwin left his own Komoda to leave the scene and continue with his day. These speculations of him being held hostage are without grounds which is why he was treated as a suspect at the conclusion of the incident.
      • Detailed Reasoning: Speculation, again are requesting the highlighted part of the statement be suppressed as it is the officer purely speculating based on their opinion

Public Defense Attorney
    (909) 233-5420 — [email protected]Image
    Hope Kant
    Judicial Branch
    ECRP Forum Name:

SAJB Awards

Post by Hope Kant »

Docket Notice

The Prosecution would like to note several things about the above Motion.

Exhibit #4 suppression: The Prosecution agrees to the suppression of the word "Friend", although the quotations around it suggest that it is alleged and not fact, but regardless this remains the only word of speculation within the highlighted portion. We ask for continuity purposes the word be exchanged for something along like lines of "felon-at-large" or "fleeing felon". As for the rest of the statement, it is an observation of the events that transpired, which is the definition of what a witness statement is supposed to be. Not only that but the rest of the highlighted portion is also proved in bodycam footage attached.

Exhibit #6 suppression: The Prosecution agrees to the suppression of the phrase "I believe the "hostage" part was a last ditch effort to get Mr. Goodwin a chance to leave and to not incriminate Mr. Valentine." and "So I cant imagine that his life was that much at risk." Despite the fact that these statements are clearly the professional opinion/personal belief of the officer on scene and there for lends to professional expertise/personal beliefs and not speculation. However, as for the rest of the statement, it is, much like the other statements that are up for suppression, backed by bodycam.

Exhibit #7 suppression: Suppressing the word allegedly would do nothing for the case of the defense as this entire case is all alleged until the verdict is decided, then it is definite. The Prosecution is saying there is no viable argument to suppress that single word. As for the rest of the statement, the only parts that should even possibly be suppressed are "and I find it hard to believe Mr. Valentine was indeed held hostage" and "These speculations of him being held hostage are without grounds which is why he was treated as a suspect at the conclusion of the incident.", but yet again this is a trained officer giving his statement under oath while reviewing the evidence. He is giving his professional observation of events as well as review of the evidence at hand. As for the rest of the officers statement, it is backed up by bodycam footage and the arrest report shown by the Prosecution.

If requested due to threat of suppression from a Judge, the Prosecution will go through and provide photograph stills for each statement to show proof. However, we hope that this level of review will not be necessary.

Respectfully,

Attorney General
    Judith Mason
    Judicial Branch

SAJB Awards

Post by Judith Mason »

COURT DECISION

#23-CM-0104

A decision was reached in the above case on the 9th day of November, 2023.

The defense's Motion to Suppress as filed on the 1st of November is granted in part.

For Exhibit #4, the court will be granting the suppression on the word friend, on the "to try and pick him up from the south" portion of the sentence, and "... without any hesitation. He was clearly an accompliss." The court has determined that these references are speculative in nature and are made as an interpretation of the facts rather than as facts themselves. Thus the statement shall read as follows:
    I was the airship in this pursuit. The suspect had multiple friends & vehicles following the pursuit line. Mr Valentine in his Issi was told twice to leave the pursuit line as he followed along. It was clear when on Spanish avenue that our intended suspect was near the end of his pursuit when Mr Valentine came north on Meteor street, seeing his "Friend" the suspect spinning out and trying to be boxed in. He did a U-turn and when south, to try and pick him up from the south but U-turned and came back towards the scene on the intersection of Meteor street and Spanish ave, handbrake turning, unlocking his car and letting the suspect evade with him, without any hesitation. He was clearly an accompliss.

For Exhibit #6, the court will grant a suppression on the entirety of the highlighted portion of the exhibit on the grounds that it is speculative in nature and hinges on the interpretation of what was witnessed rather than an objective statement of fact.

For Exhibit #7, the court will similarly be granting a full suppression of the highlighted portion of the exhibit on the grounds that it is speculative and is an interpretation of the evidence.

While the argument has been made that the law enforcement officers' interpretation of the evidence is admissible on the grounds that it is a professional opinion or personal belief based on their own expertise as a law enforcement officer, the court would like to make a distinction between the purposes of a witness statement and that of an expert witness statement. A witness statement should be an objective and factual statement of the things that were observed by a particular witness of an incident, whereas an expert witness statement should be tailored to a specific area of expertise, of which the witness is able to provide opinion and interpretation of the evidence as an expert in their particular field.

Thus, an expert witness providing an interpretation of a fingerprint analysis, for example, would be permitted to provide their opinion of the facts relating to the fingerprinting given their expertise in that field, however, as the statements of the officers in this case are rather general in nature and are made as an interpretation of the entire case in general rather than a specific portion of the evidence relating to their particular niche of expertise, they have been deemed inadmissible.

Chief Justice
    Judith Mason
    Judicial Branch

SAJB Awards

Post by Judith Mason »

NOTICE OF SCHEDULING

#23-CM-0104

An attempt to schedule was made and recorded by the court on the 12th day of November, 2023.

All parties in this case are encouraged to complete the following Scheduling Tool in an attempt to schedule a trial on the above case.

In the event all parties have overlapping availability the Presiding Judge will determine the best date and time to have a trial take place and post a Notice of Trial informing all of the upcoming proceeding.

In the event some or all parties do not have overlapping availability, the Presiding Judge will continue to attempt to schedule the proceeding or seek alternative avenues to conclude the case.

If either party has the intention of calling a witness to the stand during the proceeding they must inform the court by filing a Witness List at the time of filing their availability. If no Witness List is filed before the Notice of Trial is filed you will be unable to call a witness during the proceeding.

Chief Justice
    Hope Kant
    Judicial Branch
    ECRP Forum Name:

SAJB Awards

Post by Hope Kant »

Docket Notice

The Prosecution has filled out their availability. We await the availability of all parties and any further notice from the Judge. Thank you.

Respectfully,

Attorney General
    Judith Mason
    Judicial Branch

SAJB Awards

Post by Judith Mason »

NOTICE OF SCHEDULING

#23-CM-0104

An attempt to schedule was made and recorded by the court on the 29th day of November, 2023.

All parties in this case are encouraged to complete the following Scheduling Tool in an attempt to schedule a trial on the above case.

In the event all parties have overlapping availability the Presiding Judge will determine the best date and time to have a trial take place and post a Notice of Trial informing all of the upcoming proceeding.

In the event some or all parties do not have overlapping availability, the Presiding Judge will continue to attempt to schedule the proceeding or seek alternative avenues to conclude the case.

If either party has the intention of calling a witness to the stand during the proceeding they must inform the court by filing a Witness List at the time of filing their availability. If no Witness List is filed before the Notice of Trial is filed you will be unable to call a witness during the proceeding.

Chief Justice
    Judith Mason
    Judicial Branch

SAJB Awards

Post by Judith Mason »

NOTICE OF TRIAL

#23-CM-0104

A trial date was set on the above case on the 8th day of December, 2023.

In accordance with the availability reported by both parties in response to the Notice of Scheduling, this trial shall take place at 6:30 PM on the 9th day of December, 2023 at Rockford Hills City Hall, Carcer Way, Metro Los Santos, SA.

Both parties are ordered to be present in the Judges Chambers no later than 15 minutes prior to the above listed date for pretrial arrangements. If complications occur that must result in a delay or cancellation of the trial, you are ordered to inform the court no later than 12 hours prior to the above listed date.

Chief Justice
    Judith Mason
    Judicial Branch

SAJB Awards

Post by Judith Mason »

ISSUANCE OF VERDICT

#23-CM-0104

A decision was reached in the above case on the 9th day of December, 2023.

The case of #23-CM-0104, State of San Andreas v. Jamie Valentine has been resolved.

On the 18th of August, 2023, law enforcement officers were reportedly engaged in a high-speed pursuit of a Paragon R within the confines of Downtown Los Santos. During this pursuit, it is noted by several members of the Los Santos Police Department that several vehicles, namely a Komoda among others, had been driving in the pursuit line, and further, when the pursuit was brought near a red parking structure, firearms were discharged at officers in an apparent attempt to assist the fleeing Paragon R.

Shortly after the Paragon pursuit had concluded, a Komoda matching the description of the one seen interfering with the previous pursuit line was spotted near the scene of the arrest and then again moments later near the city parking lot. At this point, law enforcement officers began a traffic stop on the Komoda due to its involvement in the previous pursuit. Moments later, the Komoda took off as additional shots were taken at law enforcement, thus beginning another pursuit.

Following the direct threat to law enforcement, shots were taken at the Komoda’s tires in an attempt to disable the vehicle, however, the vehicle continued to flee northbound, eventually leading to the intersection of Meteor Street and Spanish Avenue. Near this location, the Komoda can be seen on body-camera footage spinning out as a black Issi Sport is seen stopped in the middle of the intersection of the nearby streets.

The footage continues and shows the Komoda turning back east, heading towards the intersection where the black Issi Sport is located. The Komoda spins out once again at the intersection as the black Issi Sport repositions a few feet north. At this point in time, the footage shows the driver of the Komoda, apparently unarmed, exiting the vehicle, running towards the black Issi Sport, and entering the passenger seat. Body-camera footage from Officer Gary Woods then shows the driver of the Komoda enter the black Issi Sport immediately after the vehicle had been unlocked, however, the footage does not appear to have captured any communication between the driver and the passenger during this exchange.

With the driver of the Komoda in the passenger seat of the Issi, the pursuit continues with officers attempting to disable the involved vehicles nearby by shooting and puncturing tires once again. Moments later, the Issi is boxed in by law enforcement officers and the pursuit comes to a close with the driver of the Issi exiting the vehicle with their hands up while the passenger brandishes a Pistol .50, pointing it at the driver and claiming that the driver is his hostage.

During the subsequent negotiations, a police cruiser is requested by and produced for the passenger, who attempts to evade once again, however, is apprehended shortly after the vehicle’s tires are destroyed by a barrage of fire from law enforcement. Both the driver of the Issi Sport and the driver of the Komoda were taken into custody, with the following investigation revealing that the firearm utilized by the driver of the Komoda was registered to the defendant, Jamie Valentine, who is also the registered owner of the black Issi Sport.

The prosecution has asserted that the defendant’s actions to continuously remain within close proximity of the pursuit despite the numerous attempts by law enforcement to order him away from the active scene and dangerous pursuit indicates a willingness to involve himself in the pursuit unlawfully, and further, that it was his intent to pick up the driver of the Komoda to assist in his evasion of law enforcement. The prosecution further states that with the active discharge of firearms at the Komoda and other vehicles, given the attack on law enforcement moments prior during the original pursuit of the Paragon R, the defendant, if innocent, should have recognized the danger that his actions placed him in and that no reasonable person would have involved themselves enough for the driver of the Komoda to enter the defendant’s vehicle.

The defense has claimed that the defendant is merely a victim of a bad decision to follow the pursuit line, eventually leading to the events that unfolded. Further claiming that the defendant had no intention of assisting the driver of the Komoda and that the defendant had feared for his life as the suspect approached his vehicle and entered the passenger seat. The defense asserts that the claimed hostage situation of the defendant being held at gunpoint is truthful and warrants the type of response provided by the defendant as he was simply in fear for his safety and thus complied with the driver of the Komoda to protect himself.

The court has found that the actions by the defendant to actively involve himself in the ongoing pursuit despite the attempts by law enforcement to cease said action indicate a willingness by the defendant to interfere with the lawful actions of law enforcement to apprehend the driver of the Komoda. While doubt has been raised about the apparent hostage situation, the validity of this has been challenged and the court has found there to be sufficient proof to believe the hostage situation was invalid and attempted as a way to reduce the charges of the defendant.

While the court notes the concerning charging strategy of Mr. Shawn Goodwin being charged with SF09 - False Imprisonment of a Hostage while the defendant in this case is charged with being an active accomplice, the court can only rule on the charges presented for this defendant and the guilty finding on Mr. Goodwin does not present compelling enough evidence to prove otherwise.

It is with the above considerations that I issue the following verdict:
    • On the count of VF01 - Evading an Officer, I find the defendant, Jamie Valentine, guilty.
    • On the count of GM14 - Obstruction of Justice, I find the defendant, Jamie Valentine, guilty.

In accordance with Judicial Branch policy, the defendant shall be required to pay a fee of $25,000 to compensate the court for its time, effort, and resources expended during the case.

Chief Justice

Return to “SAJB - Archived Criminal Cases”