Sheriff's Newsletter - November 2023

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Tyrone Balakay
Assistant Sheriff
ECRP Forum Name: Philoop

LSSD Awards

Sheriff's Newsletter - November 2023

Post by Tyrone Balakay »

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

Monthly Newsletter
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

Sheriff Bobby Kirk

MESSAGE FROM THE SHERIFF
    Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    The holiday season is upon us as we enter into December with the charm of winter and everything it brings now here. I hope that everyone had a wonderful celebration of thanks and bounty as November comes to a close. It was fantastic to see so many people having fun at so many different events throughout the county this month. I am incredibly thankful to all the employees of this department and their dedicated work and diligence throughout this time, keeping the citizens of the county safe and happy, especially at this time of year.

As a reminder, with this time of year comes the forecast of cold weather, and it looks like snow is set to blanket the county. As we enjoy the temperature change, snow, and its beauty, please keep safety in mind! With the cold comes slippery sidewalks and icy roadways, and we will ensure everyone drives with the required caution as this weather descends upon us. Make sure your vehicle is winter-ready and appropriately equipped for these hazards. Please stay warm and be careful as you travel, shop, and enjoy time with family and friends. The department will remain at the forefront of keeping the community safe through this upcoming holiday season and festivities.

The holiday spirit is in the air, the trees are lit, and decorations are spread throughout the county. As we look forward to festivities, winter events, and many traditions we celebrate, I wish everyone a safe and festive holiday season and a wonderful New Year!

Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    -
    -
    -
    -
DEPUTY OF THE MONTH

• Deputy Sheriff II Aiden Beta
    We are pleased to announce Deputy Sheriff II Aiden Beta as the recipient of November's Deputy of the Month award. Deputy Beta transferred to the department from the LSPD on September 15th, 2023. During his short time here, he has shown himself to be a well-trusted and dedicated Deputy. Deputy Beta is a rising star in his short time in the department, and he always makes himself available to assist wherever he is needed. He takes the initiative in his patrol duties, showing effort that stands out above and beyond. He has been awarded Deputy of the Month for his excellence this month, as well as his service and dedication. Please be sure to give him congratulations if you see him on shift!

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I joined the Los Santos Sheriff's Department on September 15th, 2023

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    My favorite thing is probably my coworkers. I always love going on shift and interacting with my colleagues and it is the most fun thing about my job. I like the friendships I've made and the stuff I do.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    Probably when I flew into a pillar during a pursuit because Investigator Hunter didn't call out his stinger placement that well.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    I transferred to the LSSD from the LSPD, because I wanted a change of pace, and I absolutely feel like I am getting that now. I feel like I am managing my time well here and contributing a lot to society.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    The greatest feeling about being a deputy is probably helping out the community by stopping crime. Things like saving people from being killed or kidnapped and putting away bad guys.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    Hopefully, I can get promoted to Deputy Sheriff III and then I can apply for the Sheriff's Special Enforcement Detail and get in there. I think that would be interesting for me and allow me to further develop my skills.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    I like to take long walks on the beach.

-
DEPUTY SPOTLIGHT

• Master Deputy Jamie Snow
    We would like to shine the light on Master Deputy Jamie Snow for his excellence and contributions, as he is a great example of what it is to be a Master Deputy. After graduating from the academy on January 21st and after almost a year in the department, Master Deputy Snow has recently moved to make a difference within the Sheriff's Investigation Bureau. Aspiring to become an Investigator within the department, Master Deputy Snow has shown himself to be very diligent, active, and reliable as he has risen through the ranks. His strong presence and work ethic within the department, starting in Patrol Operations and now moving on to the Investigation Bureau gives excellent insight into how a Deputy may progress in their career and the values they obtain, as stated in his responses below.

When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I officially joined the department as an Academy Student on January 21, 2023.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    The most enjoyable aspect of being a deputy in this department revolves around the great social interactions. Working with my colleagues and contributing to the well-being of the community makes for a great experience. The best part is the opportunity to create these thrilling memories while engaging in meaningful work.

What is your most memorable moment while serving as a deputy for the LSSD?
    My decision to become a deputy was sparked by the idea of learning many valuable new skills. I recognized that being part of the LSSD would provide an efficient way to enhance my skill set. The responsibility I was given to serve the county was a huge motivation, which was when I knew that joining the department was the right path for me.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    The most fulfilling part of working as a deputy is the satisfaction of helping those in need. Working with familiar faces and building strong connections with colleagues adds to the positive experience.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    Looking ahead two months, I aspire to eventually be accepted into the Investigator Training Program where I can enhance my skills in SIB. By then, I hope to be many steps closer to being accepted into the Supervisor Training Program, to prove that I am responsible enough to enhance all of the skills I have learned on the job and enhance them to make other deputies just as skillful.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    Outside of work, I find myself with a large amount of free time, which I normally spend attending fun events, hanging out with colleagues and friends, or even looking for new cars or houses to spend my hard-earned money on.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    Outside of work, I find myself with a large amount of free time, which I normally spend attending fun events, hanging out with colleagues and friends, or even looking for new cars or houses to spend my hard-earned money on.
    -
PROMOTIONS

• Image Investigator I
    • Sean Payne (Reinstatement)
    Image Master Deputy
    • Martin Haswell (Reinstatement)
    Image Deputy Sheriff III ► Image Master Deputy
    • Jamie Snow
    Image Deputy Sheriff III
    • Anthony Parr (Reinstatement)
    Image Deputy Sheriff II ► Image Deputy Sheriff III
    • Leif Helgarson
    Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Hans Waltz (Reinstatement)
    Image Deputy Sheriff I ► Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Andy Schmidt
    Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Jay Alva (Reinstatement)
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee ►Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • Tj Sanders
    • Gavin Sands
    • William Freeman
    • Kaylar Carter
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee
    • Lester Conway (Reinstatement)

-
MONTHLY STATISTICS

QUESTION OF THE MONTH
  • What's the best piece of advice you've ever been given?
  • Deputy Sheriff I Gavin Sands wrote:Thinking back a few weeks I remember a quote that Master Deputy Pierce told me. It went something like, "Always think of life this way, if you come up to the hardest part of the race forget about beating the person in front of you, and instead make sure that you finish that race in the first place. Because in the end that’s all that matters.". This is something that has just stuck with me for a while and as of right now i believe it's definitely the best piece of advice i've gotten.
    Master Deputy Martin Haswell wrote:The most important piece of advice I've ever been given, would probably come from Captain McJohnson.

She told me almost a year ago now, that there's a fine line between being firm with someone, and being a dick,

I've since realized that it's not so much a line, but more akin to being able to come out of a situation where I'm able to justify my behaviour in the moment so as to avoid certain issues which have been plaguing our department with those who make trivial complaints about having their feelings hurt because they were yelled at while putting lives in danger.

-
CLOSING MESSAGE
  • Thank you so much for reading the November 2023 newsletter. Throughout the holiday season, the Sheriff's Department will be trying our very best to bring festivity and holiday cheer to the entire county. As we approach the holiday season, know that we have the community in our hearts. Enjoy this fun season of visiting family, friends, and significant others. Be mindful of the snowy weather, and stay safe out there.

If you are interested in joining the Sheriff's Department, our recruitment is currently open! Further information can be found on our job opportunites page. We would love to have you in our department!
CONTACT INFORMATION

Commander Tyrone Balakay
    Office of the Sheriff Bureau Commander
    (909) 403-2092 — [email protected]

Commanding Officer Amelia Clark
    (909) 474-8130 — [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909

Return to “News Room”