Spring 2023 Department Newsletter (NR024-23db)

The Newsroom contains all press releases of the Los Santos Police Department.
LSPD Media Relations
ECRP Forum Name:

Spring 2023 Department Newsletter (NR024-23db)

Post by LSPD Media Relations »

-
mrdstamp
Los Santos Police Department
Los Santos, San Andreas

News Release

NR024-23db
May 1, 2023
Spring 2023 Department Newsletter

Los Santos: This is the first edition of the Los Santos Police Department Quarterly Newsletter, which is replacing the monthly newsletter of months past. Within this newsletter, you will be be able to find out what's been happening in the department in the last few months as well as read interviews with LSPD personnel and hopefully much more.

Spring time is by its very nature, a new beginning and it is somewhat apropos that the maiden edition of the newsletter is released in Spring. Those of faith have had some holidays that they have celebrated in the past few weeks with the Christian Easter, the Jewish Passover and the Muslim Ramadan all occurring at this time of year.

Index:

Sincerely,
Deputy Chief Dezzy Bala
Commanding Officer, Administrative Services Bureau

###

69 Sinner Street • Los Santos • San Andreas • 90013
Emergency Hotline: 911 • Public Inquiries • Email: [email protected]
"to protect and to serve"

-
mrdstamp
MEDIA RELATIONS DIVISION
Administrative Services Bureau
Los Santos Police Department — "To Protect and to Serve"

Account is not monitored. For information, consult the Public Affairs area.
LSPD Media Relations
ECRP Forum Name:

Re: Spring 2023 Department Newsletter

-
mrdstamp
Los Santos, San Andreas

News Release

Page 2
Promotions and Reinstatements

The months of March and April saw some significant advancements in the Department with Gareth Longford and Eleanor Quinn joining our LSPD Command Staff, as Police Captains. We have a feature-length interview with the newly appointed Captain Longford in this newsletter but in addition to him and Captain Quinn, Police Sergeants Rija Luigi and Joseph Sanchez passed their Supervisor Training Programs and joined the supervisory team on a full-time basis.

Mikael Cowell, a veteran of the Detective Bureau made his return to the Department in late February after spending some time away. Grace Hunter also made her return to work, although in a move that shocked some, decided to voluntarily drop ranks from Police Captain II as part of Command Staff and return as a Police Sergeant II mid-way through March.

Sergeant Hunter told us that she chose to reinstate as she was missing her fellow colleagues and her work as a serving Police Officer. She spoke of her passion for working in the field, protecting and serving the local community.
While reaching Police Captain was a highlight of her storied career, Hunter remarked that an LSPD Command position comes with "a lot of extra administration responsibilities which I felt previously had taken a lot of my time away from focusing in the field and general patrol duties".

She had considered a non-supervisory role as a Police Officer III but the desire to mentor and aid the rank and file proved to be too strong to resist. Sergeant Hunter mentioned that her term as a Police Sergeant previously was "always the time in my career that I reflect on being the happiest and most rewarding" so it feels that a return to the Department and to that role was always inevitable.

In her own words, she is "thoroughly enjoying my time as a supervisor again without the additional workload of that of a senior supervisor or command member which is also why I chose not to request a reinstatement to any divisions on my return. I have never been one to care about promotions and rank, so it is nice to see other members who want to, climb and be able to achieve those goals instead. I want to focus my time and energy on the officers under the general patrol bureau and the citizens of this wonderful city."

Additionally, Elise Cavellera, formerly de la Croix, had her hard work and dedication recognized through promotion to Police Lieutenant I, following a period of over 600 days spent as a Police Detective III. To some, that may seem like a negative on the part of Lieutenant Cavallera but she was throughout her time as a Police Detective, a consistent and consummate professional.

The Commanding Officer of the Detective Bureau, Deputy Chief Lex Roth, offered these words in support of Lieutenant Cavellera's promotion. "Lieutenant Cavallera has shown great potential over the last months with outstanding shift hours and great administrative work. She never failed to meet all the expectations of the Bureau and her work ethic is outstanding not only on the administrative side but field-wise as well. All things considered, Lieutenant E. Cavallera is performing above her duties and she was good value for her promotion."

I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome Garret Groyce, from the Sheriff's Department. Captain Groyce, as he is now known, has joined our Command Staff with a wealth of detective knowledge from his time as the head of SIB and we look forward to seeing how he performs in the LSPD blue.

Speaking of changes in personnel, we'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate Chief of Police Alex Donnelly and Assistant Chief of Police Elena Blake on the three-year anniversary of their time as our Department leadership.

Following the enforced departure of former Chief of Police Mick Reefer in November 2019 by then Police Commissioner, Ramon Carter, the Department leadership entered a period of transition but on March 10th of 2020, Alex Donnelly accepted the offer by Commissioner Osborn to take on the responsibility of being Chief of Police. But like any good Commanding Officer, he required a foil and on April 5th, 2020, Elena Blake was appointed as the Assistant Chief of Police, and the rest, as they say, is history.

We'd also like to congratulate the other Department employees that received upgrades in rank over the past couple of months, keep up the good work and you too may feature in our next newsletter!

###

-
mrdstamp
MEDIA RELATIONS DIVISION

LSPD Media Relations
ECRP Forum Name:

-
mrdstamp
Los Santos, San Andreas

News Release

Page 3
Featured Officer

Police Captain I Gareth Longford was promoted on the 30th of March, 2023, making him a part of LSPD Command Staff, after having served as a supervisor for over a year. He has dedicated much of his time to the Metropolitan Division, helping to lead and develop the division to better handle the evolving needs of the city. For this feature, we wanted to look into Captain Longford's transition into Command Staff, and his thoughts and ideas going into the future.

Captain Longford has always demonstrated a drive for progress. Since the start of his career, he has strived to rise through the ranks, developing his skills and unlocking paths that could help him better serve the community. When asked what appealed most to him about being promoted into Command Staff, he said that it was this drive to help the community and his fellow officers that had motivated him to go the extra mile to present himself as a worthy candidate for promotion, and that this is an ideology that he has stood by since the start of his career.

While at first daunting, Captain Longford said that his transition into Command Staff had been a smooth and welcoming experience.
Police Captain I Gareth Longford wrote:I was, and still am, extremely excited to start digging into my new-found responsibilities as a Captain I as these ever-increasingly allow me to be a stronger asset to the Department. Something that surprised me about the transition, is actually how familiar it felt to begin conducting my new duties.
Looking toward the future, Captain Longford is confident about his ability to contribute as a Command Officer, feeling that his tenure as a Supervisor has built a strong foundation that gives him a good insight into how the job should be done, and how it could be done better. In relation to the Metropolitan Division, his move to Command Staff has allowed him to participate in discussions about developing the Division to a greater extent than previously, and to better involve others as well.
Police Captain I Gareth Longford wrote:I feel honored to be able to contribute to my division further. While my base duties as the Assistant Commanding Officer of the Metropolitan Division have not diminished or changed, I feel that delegating some tasks to the Supervisors and Officers below me gives them the chance to take the lead in certain areas and develop their own skills and leadership capabilities
Captain Longford took over the role of Assistant Commanding Officer of the Metropolitan Division from another Sergeant. Commander Einhart, the Commanding Officer of the Metropolitan Division and Captain Longford's direct supervisor, said that Captain Longford stepped right into his predecessor's shoes and was able to continue in the role without disruption. "He is highly motivated and interested in the Division, two traits which fuel his desire to continue forward and are a primary factor in his keeping of the role.". Commander Einhart, while noting the significance of the promotion, does not expect it to change anything in the day-to-day operations of the Metropolitan Division, stating that Captain Longford will continue to focus more on the personnel. "I'm proud to have been a part of his growth within the Department."

"We are feeling strong and only plan on getting stronger." - Police Captain I Gareth Longford

While recognizing that no division is ever perfect, Captain Longford is proud of how far the Metropolitan Division has come and is confident about the future. The short-term goal of his career is to fill the SWAT roster to capacity for the first time in LSPD SWAT history. This is not to come at the cost of quality, however, as he takes pride in training the strongest, most diversely skilled officers he can. As for his long-term goal, Captain Longford aims to become a reliable member of Command Staff and to continue improving himself as an Officer in the face of any challenge that may come.

Police Sergeant II Alex Sorvanis is a supervisor in the Metropolitan Division and has worked with Captain Longford for most of his career. In his opinion, Captain Longford's promotion was expected and well deserved.
Police Sergeant II Alex Sorvanis wrote:Captain Longford is a great leader, he knows what to do exactly when it needs to be done. Furthermore, I believe Captain Longford is a very friendly and open-minded person and I'm really proud to call him my best friend. I think the reason why the Metropolitan Division is one of the [best] tactical divisions, that knows how to handle any type of situation and work together so well [...], is because Captain Longford has set the environment within the division to be as a family [...]"
Deputy Chief Scott Dunbar was the one to bring Captain Longford up for promotion. When asked whether or not this move was inspired by a desire to have more representation of the Metropolitan Division in the Department's Command Staff, Deputy Chief Dunbar said "I am not someone who specifically views Command Officers as 'belonging' to a specific Bureau, had Longford been in any other Bureau I would have been lobbying for his promotion into the team".

He also had some advice to share for those working in the Special Operations Bureau: "I want people who can work with each other and can understand differing viewpoints, as I feel that embracing different viewpoints is the key to success".

###

-
mrdstamp
MEDIA RELATIONS DIVISION

LSPD Media Relations
ECRP Forum Name:

-
mrdstamp
Los Santos, San Andreas

News Release

Page 4
Follow Up: Traffic Division Restructure

In February, we announced the reformation of the Vinewood Traffic Division (VTD) into the Traffic Enforcement Division (TED). This transition saw a change in leadership for the division in addition to the division being changed into a secondary assignment for officers as opposed to a primary one. This meant that officers could be a part of TED in addition to other available primary assignments, such as the Detective Bureau (DB) or Metropolitan Division, which brought an increase in TED personnel.

The mission of the Traffic Enforcement Division has always been to focus on stable and effective traffic enforcement within the City of Los Santos, its highways, and other unincorporated areas. Officers are trained to distinguish the various traffic laws and how they are applied to the different kinds of traffic violations repeatedly committed on the road. Following the transition to a secondary assignment, the division has seen new officers bring new opportunities with them. One of these officers is Police Detective I Dale Ashcroft, who was formerly assigned to the division before taking a reassignment to the Detective Bureau.
Police Detective I Dale Ashcroft, Traffic Officer, wrote:My favorite thing about TED and traffic enforcement is that, in general, it's always needed. I was extremely excited to rejoin TED, as when it was VTD, leaving the division to join DB was unfortunate. Now with TED in its current state, I get the best of both worlds.
TED has also retained several officers through the transition, who had kept traffic enforcement as their primary assignment prior to the restructure. These officers chose to stay with traffic enforcement despite the previous limitations in terms of career progression and diversification. One of these officers is Police Officer III Joshua Ryoshi.
Police Officer III Joshua Ryoshi, Traffic Officer, wrote: Once I achieved the rank of Police Officer I, I started my career by joining VTD. Despite it being a small branch within the General Operations Bureau, I chose to stay in the division and still would to this date. Traffic enforcement has been a big part of my career in law enforcement, letting me involve myself in my regular duties but with specialized equipment. Had it still been a primary assignment I would have chosen it again.
The change to a secondary assignment also gave supervisor staff an opportunity to branch out and use their experience in a new field. Recently, Police Lieutenant II Josh Durry was placed in a divisional supervisory position to aid the division in moving forward and expanding.
Police Lieutenant II Josh Durry, Traffic Supervisor, wrote: I look forward to implementing a new and updated training program for our officers to intertwine into their day-to-day patrols within the division. I hope through the sessions that are developed, we as a command team can bring an improved traffic enforcement team to Los Santos and ultimately mitigate the risk when drivers do end up breaking traffic laws, and create a safer environment for those that do use our roads carefully and legally. We will plan to create a growth in operations that are directly targeting these drivers that break the road laws and where possible, we will educate the public on the road laws.

The Traffic Enforcement Division is looking forward to all the opportunities and new possibilities these changes have brought, and will continue to monitor and regulate the motorists who repeatedly violate the city's laws and make its roads unsafe.

###

-
mrdstamp
MEDIA RELATIONS DIVISION

LSPD Media Relations
ECRP Forum Name:

-
mrdstamp
Los Santos, San Andreas

News Release

Page 5
A View From a Chief

The role of a Staff Officer within the Los Santos Police Department is a complex one. Not just responsible for overseeing specific areas of the department, they are also the caretakers of the overall objective and direction of the department. In this section, we speak to the men and women in these roles to find out in their own words, how things are going and where we're heading.

With this first edition, it seemed apt to speak with an individual who is often at the forefront of change and development to the department, Assistant Chief Elena Blake.

Chief Blake has been with us for a significant period of time, making her not only one of the longest serving but also one of the most decorated officers in the history of our department. We wanted to know from her, how does today's department hold up against the departments of yesteryear?

Assistant Chief Elena Blake wrote:I believe that the Department progresses with its employees and vice versa. In that regard, I believe the Department of 2023 is a better place for its employees, particularly sworn officers. We have made strides to make employment as a sworn officer within the city more tolerable for our officers through the review of policy, particularly as a result of instances of verbal abuse that our officers are often on the receiving end of.

It is hard to pinpoint whether or not there is a vast difference in professionalism and morale or any other factor that would set the Department in 2023 apart from the Department in 2022. I do, however, believe that we can concretely state that stability within the Department in leadership functions has significantly improved, which in turn provides employees with proper, direct points of contact which, for all intents and purposes, morale does benefit from.

If anything specific sets the Department of 2023 apart from the Department of 2022, then it is the people and their dedication to serving. The Office of the Chief can establish initiatives and make changes to the Department and its policy throughout the year, every year, but what makes the Department is the people it employs. I believe that in its current state, it holds up better than the years before as a result of the dedicated employees that work for us.
With her being personally responsible for a lot of the progressive changes to the department over the past few years, in her role as Assistant Chief, we asked what she felt that the most significant change she's overseen to date was and why?
Assistant Chief Elena Blake wrote:I think that may vary based on where values lie. For example, I spearheaded and oversaw a restructure of our ranking and grade system two years ago as an initiative to introduce further progression and career opportunities for our employees, which is most significant to our officers. I further took the helm of Internal Affairs and reformed it to ensure more fairness and accountability across the board, which is significant to both our employees and citizens, and I have spearheaded initiatives to make the job more tolerable for our officers through raises and policy implementations and revisions such as one currently in place that should further assist officers in their duties when faced with aggravated individuals.

Every change, no matter how small, is significant to me, so long as its impact means something for our employees or for citizens or improves an aspect of the Department. I think that when we start labelling changes as "insignificant" and "significant" from our perspective as leadership, we start falling behind.
Being at the forefront of change, we queried the Assistant Chief on any impending changes she was looking to make as we move into the summer months?
Assistant Chief Elena Blake wrote:There are currently ongoing talks within Command Staff in relation to Department structure and further progression opportunities, there are discussions with the Board of Governors with regard to acquisitions, and there are always changes, no matter how big or small, being made to the policy and regulations to improve, but there is no specific change that I can currently share any further information on.
As we all know, the role of a Police Officer in the LSPD has changed over the past few years with the establishment of our sister Department, the Los Santos County Sheriffs Department and also the creation of the Judicial Branch. We wanted to know, from Chief Blake, what the challenges were for the LSPD in terms of maintaining our position within that framework and also, how she as a department leader approaches correspondence with other agencies?
Assistant Chief Elena Blake wrote: The best approach to these challenges is to remain diplomatic, patient, and to contribute to finding and establishing common ground. The Department has faced many challenges, such as a significant loss of (leadership) personnel to lateral transfers and a rework of the established framework surrounding arrests, warrants, and all other operations that now involve the judicial system and their impact in one way or another, as a result of the establishment of the aforementioned agency and organization, but none that we have not been able to overcome in collaboration with these organizations.
As we mentioned earlier in the interview, Chief Blake has made a lot of changes to the department. We wanted to understand what the thought process behind making significant changes for the department was for her? Is the motivation trying to constantly better the department or is it simply about correcting issues as they arise?
Assistant Chief Elena Blake wrote:The thought process behind any changes that I have personally sought to implement throughout my term has solely been determining whether the Department can do better for its employees and the citizens it serves.

Personally, I would say that it is a combination of both. The Department existed for many, many years now, meaning that established policies have been in place for equally as long. This means that there will be policy, structure, or other aspects in place that have held up over the years and may very well hold up for the next ten years, there may be aspects of the Department that need to be changed because the circumstances have changed but that does not require a priority label, and there may be aspects that need to be changed immediately.

The fastest changes that I have pushed out with my teams have been matters that were found to be in need of change, but I always find myself looking at all facets of the Department to see if anything can be improved, even if it does not necessarily need to be changed.

I believe that taking the stance of "don't fix it if it's not broken" is a complacent stance, and complacency is counteractive to an ever-growing and evolving Department, serving the ever-evolving City of Los Santos.
Chief Blake has a long history with the department. She has seen the landscape change completely during her time with us. In our final question for the Assistant Chief, we asked what is her motivation to continue serving at such a high level, for such a lengthy period of time?
Assistant Chief Elena Blake wrote:The want to do right by my people, and to, by the time of retirement, leave the Department as a better agency than it was both when I was initially employed and when initially appointed as the Chief of Staff.

I believe that it is incredibly important for anyone that finds themselves in a leadership position to realize that they will never be able to satisfy everyone, but I find comfort in knowing that when the time comes, I can take a step back and know that I have done the most I can to do right by those that I serve, both employees and civilians, through initiatives such as a reform of Internal Affairs and its strictness and consequences, the implementation of further career opportunities, and any strides to make both life and employment better for our employees.

The Command Staff of the Department is further filled with carefully cultivated, competent, and bright-minded individuals that make continued service at a leadership level a pleasant experience.

Maybe, the aspiration to one day take the helm of the Department being something that can be realized due to my position. However, this is not something I have or intend to actively pursue and achieve. I find that anything that I need to do, I can do in my current position and with Chief Donnelly, with whom I believe I have an excellent dynamic and a shared vision.

We'd like to thank Assistant Chief Elena Blake for taking the time to talk to us as well as her continued service and we look forward to seeing the department continue to develop under her stewardship.

###

-
mrdstamp
MEDIA RELATIONS DIVISION

LSPD Media Relations
ECRP Forum Name:

-
mrdstamp
Los Santos, San Andreas

News Release

Page 6
Divisional Changes

The Los Santos Police Department is always working to enhance the quality of its officers and adjust to the changing landscape of the city it serves. We are happy to announce a number of changes that will improve our operations and better serve the public across a number of our divisions.

Field Training Division
A major revision to the Field Training Program has been made, with a new modular design. These changes had been in discussion for the past year, with the last major changes having been made several years ago. The new system means that rather than progressing through a rigid order of sessions, Cadets will progress in phases. Rather than having multiple mandatory subjects in the same session, both Field Training Officers and Police Cadets may choose which subjects to cover in a given session, making training sessions more flexible.

The program starts with an orientation that covers the basics of clocking on and how to use the various tools available at an officer's disposal. After orientation, Cadets go through sessions teaching the basics of policing, including but not limited to paperwork, the San Andreas Penal Code, and advanced communication. Next is advanced policing, which goes into more detail on some of the unique situations Officers may face in the field. Finally, after cadets have completed all modules, they can take their evaluation and become certified Police Officers. With the help of this revamped Field Training Program, Officers will be better prepared to deal with a variety of scenarios.

The Field Training Division conducted over 125 training sessions this quarter, with just under 70 Field Training Officers within their ranks. There were 25 completed cadet programs, with around 15 Cadets at the time of writing this still in the program.

Firearms Licensing Division
The Firearms Licensing Division (FLD) is working on a new system to better track lost and stolen firearms. This will allow for better monitoring of how firearms are lost and to detect unusual activity, such as a single person reporting multiple firearms as missing in a short time frame. This is expected to improve gun safety and further prevent the illegal transfer of firearms. In practice, this basically means that Officers that are not part of the FLD are no longer allowed to mark firearms as missing, and citizens will instead have to contact FLD through the Lost/Stolen Firearms section of the LSPD’s public website. Being a firearms owner is a big responsibility, and a lost firearm is something the LSPD takes very seriously, as it is a catalyst for crime and puts public safety in jeopardy.

Furthermore, FLD is pleased to announce that Police Officer III John Keys was internally promoted to the position of Officer-in-Charge on March 30, 2023. Officer Keys now plays a crucial role in overseeing members of the division and ensuring quick and accurate responses.

The Firearms Licensing Division approved 200 new firearm applications and denied 247 new firearm applications with 94 individuals getting their firearm licenses revoked in the Spring of 2023.

Gang and Narcotics Division
The Gang and Narcotics Division (GND) is working on introducing the new Gang Task Force (GTF). Although it shares some similarities with the current Gang Enforcement Detail (GED), the GTF takes a brand new approach to combating gang-related crime in Los Santos. This specialized task force will work nonstop with the goal of disbanding criminal gangs to make Los Santos a safer place for all of its residents. As this new GTF is still underway, we do not have more specific information to provide, but we will ensure the public is made aware when appropriate. However, it is limited how much information can be released about the operations of such a unit without compromising their ability to carry out their duties.

Major Crimes Division
The Major Crimes Division (MCD) of the Detective Bureau saw two new transfers from the LSSD that are currently undergoing evaluations to become full rank Detectives. Although the MCD does not have any information for the general public to be informed on, the Commanding Officer is excited to have new faces in his Division.

Internal Affairs Division
The Internal Affairs Division does not have any developmental changes since the previous update. Everything still continues to run as should be, and reports continue to be efficiently and accurately processed.

Internal Affairs processed 82 complaints in the Spring of 2023 with 20 of those complaints being sustained, 16 exonerations where actions were lawful and/or justified, 21 cases of no misconduct where no misconduct or poor service took place, and 7 currently in review at this time.

Metropolitan Division
This quarter, the Metropolitan Division experimented with a few different weapons in an attempt to diversify their arsenal. However, upon review, none of the candidates were deemed appropriate for continued service use. The Division also opened recruitment and is now close to full. This enables the LSPD to have maximum readiness when it comes to fielding personnel to meet high-risk situations. Finally, the division will be undergoing a change in structure among the Supervisor team which will put a greater focus on the on-boarding and training process as summer arrives.

Air Support Division
This quarter saw a new directive with the San Andreas Aviation Administration, in which all aircraft were required to inform Air Traffic Control when ascending and descending in a number of areas of the state. This has led to a reduction in air traffic accidents and near-misses. Not much has changed internally in the division over the past three months in terms of procedures, and the Air Traffic Division continuing to provide ground units with the support they need to help get the job done in pursuits, as well as lending assistance to investigative and SWAT units conducting raids on criminal locations. However, there has been an increased focus from the division's leadership to increase activity within the division, as several pilots weren't utilizing the division as much as they should have been.

###

-
mrdstamp
MEDIA RELATIONS DIVISION

LSPD Media Relations
ECRP Forum Name:

-
mrdstamp
Los Santos, San Andreas

News Release

Page 7
Where Are They Now?

For this section, we contacted former employees of the Department to see how they are getting on away from the Department.

Steve Smyth, who departed the Department early last year as a Police Captain, is currently working at our sister Department, the Los Santos County Sheriffs Department, in his position of Commander.

We asked Steve how he had been getting on in this new role for him and he had this to say;

Since leaving the LSPD, I was focused primarily on Traffic Enforcement, eventually moving on to tackle more tactical elements for which I also had a strong passion. I spent a lot of energy in the Special Enforcement Detail in the Sheriff's Department, where I worked my way up to become the Assistant Commanding Officer. In the position, I've been able to implement a lot of positive change, particularly in the training areas. In areas such as recruitment, training, and general administration, I believe we've built a much stronger, and much more capable division.

This is in addition to working as the Commander of the Office of the Sheriff, helping to establish the new Legal Affairs Division, which has seen great success so far in the Department, taking over our court information requests and all legal matters for the LSSD. Overall, I've been having a great time since my move north, and it's been a great opportunity for me to focus on new areas and get new opportunities to make my mark in another Department, to help better serve the civilians in the State of San Andreas.
When queried about what Steve missed from his time in the LSPD, the first answer didn't come as a surprise to anyone;
The Vinewood Traffic Division was a key part of my career, and some would say, my baby. Unfortunately, it has been disbanded and pulled back to the old Traffic Enforcement Division, but it will always remain one of my greatest achievements. To take something that was perhaps not taken as seriously and turning it into something so strong, which has helped shape some of the next generation of supervisors in the LSPD. That was primarily what I missed from the Department, that, and just old friends and colleagues whom I can no longer patrol with.

Of course, it's hard to pass over the general madness of the city that most experience as an LSPD officer, dealing with some very odd individuals, that is something that everyone would miss in some capacity when they move up North! We have our fair share as well, but just not on the same frequency, but we find new ways to occupy our minds and time!
The highlight of Steve's time with us in his own words was the creation of the Vinewood Traffic Division. But another professional highlight for Steve was in his role as a supervisor and the stiff competition that there was to get into that role in the first place. Steve was quite integral to the Advanced Training Division during his time with us as well.

Finally, when asked, if he had to pick three guest from his time with the LSPD, who he'd pick to have a dinner party with, Steve tentatively replied;
If I didn't include the famous Jessica and Jaxon Nash in that list, I'd probably be in fear for my life a little bit but all jokes aside, I met a lot of great people and friends in the Department over the years, but the longevity these two have shown is fantastic, and they've always remained close friends through the years to some degree! Who doesn't want a "lively" couple at a dinner party?

Last on the list has to be a VTD colleague, and I think the only one left is Thomas Pennyworth! I know he's been continuing to do good things and making good progress since his return, and that's great to see! Always good to catch up with old friends!

We wish Steve well north of the border!

In addition to speaking with Commander Smyth, we also managed to track down former Police Captain Torsten Church for a brief chat.

Torsten has been gone from the Department for about a year and a half at the time of writing this, we asked him what he had been up to since stepping away from the LSPD?
After retiring from the LSPD I took a few months to travel the world. Starting in Iceland before heading to Oman, then traveling across Asia before ending in Nepal. Since then, I've been working as a contractor for the US Department of Homeland Security and auxiliary agencies. The pay is fantastic but I miss the night shift beach roll calls.
Those who know Torsten from his time with us will know the impact and influence he had on the Department's Metropolitan Division. With the induction of Captain Longford into Command Staff and the return of the prodigal son of Special Operations Scott Dunbar, we asked Torsten what he made of it all.
Well, Scott Dunbar needs no introduction, the man has always been prolific and considered the primarch of the Special Operations Bureau. I remember reaching Police Officer I as he became a Sergeant and going out on patrol for the first time on my own, with him as a shift supervisor. Scott had the interest of his officers at heart always. Climbing the ranks in then SWAT (now METRO), I had the pleasure of working alongside him and Einhart to build the division into the legacy it continues to carry today. Scott gave me the freedom and support to fundamentally change how METRO trained and operated, creating the training program.

Scott's return to SOB? I don't need to ask to know he's making the Bureau and the Department better one day at a time.

Gareth Longford, I didn't have a chance to work alongside him or train him, so he'll never be a METRO original for that reason! But, I have talked to him over the phone several times, and in some ways, it feels like I've known him and watched him grow over the course of several years, going from an average mechanic to a trained SWAT officer and leader.

Gareth is a top lad and I'm sure he is doing great in his role. If he wasn't, then he wouldn't be the Assistant Commanding Officer of the best division. Maybe one day I'll stop by to evaluate him!
Torsten had a good career with us, joining in 2019 and advancing far in his years with the Department. We wanted to hear in his own words, what the highlights were him both professionally and personally.
Oh wow, that's a tough question. The number of good memories from my days in the LSPD is endless. Naturally, I think being fortunate to join then SWAT at the time and help build and mold the division into what METRO became. The countless hours of training, refining, and tactics really paid off and made the division into a statistically successful unit. If METRO was deployed or called upon, things were going to get handled.

I was certainly never one to care for rank, however, what I am most proud of is the men and women of METRO itself. Being able to lead and teach every member of the division was an absolute honor that I frequently reflect on and miss. Darion Rueb and I often have conversations reminiscing about the "good ole days". Being able to watch eager officers show up for SWAT tryouts, watching them put their heart and soul into getting on the team and earning their places was always a point of joy.

These are but a few of the amazing men and women that I had the pleasure of working with. Jamie Richardson, Victor Einhart, Don Mozzarella, Denzel Black, Draco Santana, Sebastian "Simp" Papadakis, Tom Brown, Vuki, Alexander Olsson, Ash Slays, Cyrus Carver, Dean "King" Molloy, George Hill, Grace Hunter, Phillipe Sanchez, Jack Mobray, Jeff "Tuna" Babatunda, Mary Dinkley, Ryan Moore, Tyrone Briggs, and a few other Greeks.

It's the ones that turned into great leaders that fill me with true pride. Gary Taylor, Alex Sorvanis, Bill Breacher, Hector Mayfield, Tyrone Briggs, and Darion Rueb.

But I'm also proud of the supervisors and Command Staff I worked alongside. The people that formed the backbone of the Department and kept all the plethora of cogs turning. Like gangsters, everyone wants to be a supervisor until it's time to do supervisor things. The strong foundation we had at the top of Donnelly and Blake. The brutal might of Scott Dunbar and Phillipe Sanchez. The elegance and cheese of Dezzy Bala, the constant that was Shadow. There were so many great supervisors but I miss Lex Roth and Jason Steel the most.

The group of officers that will always hold a place in my heart however was the mighty night shift. The small collection of men and women that day in and day out clocked in during the dead hours, when the Department was at its lowest number and most vulnerable. Despite the odds, they always came through and performed elegantly and with tact. The bond formed amongst that group was always heart-warming to see.

Beach roll calls were something I truly enjoyed alongside everyone on the night shift. It truly took that group within the Department and turned it into one big family. To this day, I'm surprised Blake and Donnelly let me get away with it.
As with any tough and emotional departure, we queried Torsten on whether or not he still gets the urge to put on the old uniform and reinstate? With a smile in heart and a glint in his eye, he remarked.
Oh boy, more often than I should. The peer pressure has certainly been there. I will say, it is something that is always in the back of my mind, and something I will never take off the board. Though I'm sure the faces have long since changed.
Finally, to round off the interview, we asked Torsten if he had to select three people for a dinner party from his time with us, who would he pick and why?
Scott Dunbar, I miss the Scottish lad and would love to cut up with him again. Technically, Scott Dunbar signed off on my entry interview to the Department, so if it wasn't for him, I'd never be in the Department.

Lex Roth, just to hear that cheeky laugh again. I spent so many countless hours talking to Lex, cutting up with him, not to mention the countless operation and projects we worked on together. I'd love to have a drink with him.

Alex Sorvanis and Bill Breacher, I don't care if you said three Bala, these two lads are coming. To hear that Sorvanis made Sergeant II and Breacher made Lieutenant? I could not be more proud of these two fine operators and disciplined leaders. I would love to hear all the stories and antics they have been up to.
We'd like to thank Torsten for catching up with us and wish him well with his work elsewhere!

###

-
mrdstamp
MEDIA RELATIONS DIVISION

LSPD Media Relations
ECRP Forum Name:

-
mrdstamp
Los Santos, San Andreas

News Release

Page 8
Department in Focus

For this section of the newsletter, we sent our newly appointed official LSPD photographer Police Officer III Grace Steel out on patrol with our various divisions and units to capture the essence of the important work we do in both law enforcement and the community.

Thank you to Officer Steel for capturing these beautiful shots of our brave men and women.

###

-
mrdstamp
MEDIA RELATIONS DIVISION

LSPD Media Relations
ECRP Forum Name:

-
mrdstamp
Los Santos, San Andreas

News Release

Page 9
Games

###

-
mrdstamp
MEDIA RELATIONS DIVISION

LSPD Media Relations
ECRP Forum Name:

-
mrdstamp
Los Santos, San Andreas

News Release

Page 10
Credits

Article Contributions
  • Deputy Chief Dezzy Bala
  • Police Detective Isabella Cavallera
  • Police Sergeant Thomas Pennyworth
  • Police Officer Jethro Lee
Photography
  • Police Officer Grace Steel
Additional Revisions
  • Assistant Chief of Police Elena Blake

###

-
mrdstamp
MEDIA RELATIONS DIVISION

Return to “Newsroom”