Defendant Address: Tug Street, SA
(( Defendant Discord: hozbomb#4101 ))
Requested Attorney: Blake Eli
Charging Department: PD
Date & Time of Incident(s): 28/03/2023 14:00
Charge(s):
  • Felony - Hit and Run
Narrative:

There was an incident earlier today 28/03/2023 where I was completing deliveries and drove through a construction area which appeared to be clear in the middle of the road as the workers and their barriers were on the left and right-hand sides of the road. I drove my truck through the road and the road workers started running up to the truck and screaming at me, I continued to drive to the area literally 20 feet ahead where my delivery needed to be dropped off as it was clear from any pedestrians and not on a public road. Around 10 construction workers ran over to my truck and two construction trucks blocked the exit, screaming and shouting for me to get out of my truck and telling me I had knocked someone over with my truck. I looked around and saw no one injured (as I have a BLS licence I would have given them BLS immediately) so I did not exit the truck as I was afraid they were going to hurt me. I do not recall hitting anybody with my truck and denied this as I could not see anybody injured and I honestly did not see this happen amongst the chaos while driving down the road. I was alone and afraid so I called the police who responded within a few minutes (the officers mentioned above).

Rija Luigi (23495) and 3 other officers attended: (Other officer's names are unknown but I went to Mission Row, and spoke to Rija to request the other badge numbers and she provided: 08922, 15153, 22511).

One of the construction workers showed Rija his bodycam footage of the situation and Rija arrested me. While they were reviewing the bodycam footage, I spoke to the man who was hit by the truck who said he was okay, was not injured, did not need medical attention and does not want to press charges. He went over to the officers to say he did not want to press charges and they said it doesn't matter. Once we were inside the police vehicle, Rija was in the front seat and another officer was next to her and a 3rd in the back next to me. The officer driving seemed to be more understanding of my POV. He asked Rija not to add the charges yet as he wanted to talk about it with her. She went ahead and added the charges anyway. When we pulled up to DOC, he again asked to speak to her in private and not to process me yet. Rija asked the DOC guard to process me anyway and ignored her colleague. I fully believe that the officer driving saw I am a good person, that I did not intend to hurt anybody intentionally, that I did not 'run' from the scene as I drove no more than 20 feet away and that I contacted the police myself. I really feel that this officer acted unfairly and did not take any accounts from the people on the scene into consideration, solely relying on one person's bodycam footage which no one else appears to have seen. I have therefore raised an IA Complaint about Rija.

My colleagues at DOC were as surprised as I was to see me there and the Deputy warden Katie who was on Duty told the police about how I am a good person who would never intentionally hurt anybody. I work at DOC as a COIII and I was taken on by them as an ex-felon who had turned my life around from a life of petty crime to doing really well in a government job with nothing more than a couple of speeding fines in the last year +. This type of charge is going to be catastrophic for me as I will lose my position at DOC.

I completely understand that I should not have driven through a construction zone and would have happily taken a misdemeanour for reckless driving considering no one was seriously injured and the person who was hit did not even want to press charges but it feels like the book was thrown at a good citizen of SA just for the sake of it.

My boyfriend Luke (who attended the scene after I said I was scared on the radio) has since spoken to Kasey Lee who was the person hit by the truck who has said he is happy to confirm he does not want to press charges and he does not feel I was at fault for the accident. He said he'd happily testify in court. I'm sure I could also get some people to testify on my good character within DOC too if it would help.

Kasey Lee - 2013046

I'd like to take this to court and I'd like the charges to be dropped so that I do not have a felony. As I said, a citation or misdemeanour would have been fine and I wouldn't have complained about that because I shouldn't have driven through the road work whether I felt there was enough room or not. but the impact of this charge is lifechanging and I feel it's unlawful and unjust.

I, Jemma Smith, hereby affirm that all information provided above is true and correct to the best of my knowledge, and understand that knowingly providing false information could result in additional charges and/or fines. (( I affirm that all information submitted has been obtained via In-Character means. ))
Roderick Marchisio
ECRP Forum Name: Roderick

LSPD Awards for Service

SAJB Awards

Re: State of San Andreas v. Jemma Smith

Post by Roderick Marchisio »

San Andreas Judicial Branch

Superior Court of San Andreas
"EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER LAW"

NOTIFICATION OF COUNSEL

IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF SAN ANDREAS

State of San Andreas v. Jemma Smith

A Notification of Counsel was filed in the above case on the 28th day of March, 2023.

The purpose of this notice is to inform you that as of this moment I, Roderick Marchisio, will be representing the State of San Andreas in all the proceedings pertaining to the underlying case.

I will take it upon myself to reach out to the involved parties to collect and review all evidence in relation to the underlying case to ensure a proper and smooth continuation of this process.

Respectfully,

Attorney General
Director of Public Notary
(909) 372-7719 — [email protected]
Ruwin Korbel
ECRP Forum Name: Ruwin Korbel

SAJB Awards

Post by Ruwin Korbel »

NOTIFICATION OF COUNSEL

A Notification of Counsel was filed in the above case on the Day of Month, Year.

I, Ruwin Korbel, a Public Defense Attorney with the San Andreas Judicial Branch, will be representing the Defendant in the underlying case.

I will be taking the responsibility of Primary Counsel and will await further instruction from the Presiding Judge.

Ruwin "Quiet" Korbel
Public Defence Attourney
(909) 556-2848 — [email protected][/list]
Shaun Harper
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name:

SAJB Awards

Post by Shaun Harper »

NOTIFICATION OF COUNSEL

A Notification of Counsel was filed in the above case on the 28 of March, 2023

I, Shaun Harper, a Senior Defense Attorney with the San Andreas Judicial Branch, will be representing the Defendant, Jemma Smith in the underlying case.

I will be taking the responsibility of Co-Counsel and will await further instruction from the Presiding Judge.

Director of Training & Hiring
Senior Defense Attorney
(909) 308-7889 — [email protected]Image
Robert Winejudge
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name:

SAJB Awards

Post by Robert Winejudge »

NOTICE OF RECEIPT

The court has hereby received and acknowledged the above case on the 28th of March, 2023.

The Superior Court of San Andreas has received your filing and the case is now pending activation. Be advised that the court system runs on a first-come, first-served basis and will only activate cases out of order for special circumstances.

During this time, the defendant is encouraged to reach out to a licensed defense attorney in order to prepare a proper defense, otherwise, a court-appointed attorney will be assigned to the case upon its activation.

The defendant is further encouraged to speak with an authorized individual at Rockford Hills City Hall, Mission Row Police Station, or Paleto Bay Sheriff's Office for official clarification on the specific charges received and their respective date and times, as once the case has been activated, any omitted charges will be considered abandoned and unable to be disputed within this case.

Court Clerk
(909) 372-4223 — [email protected]
Blake Eli
ECRP Forum Name: Eli Blake

LSEMS Awards

Post by Blake Eli »

NOTIFICATION OF COUNSEL

A Notification of Counsel was filed in the above case on the 29th of March 2023.

I, Blake Eli, a Junior Defense Attorney with the San Andreas Judicial Branch, will be representing the Defendant, Jemma Smith in the underlying case.

I will be taking the responsibility of Co-Counsel and will await further instruction from the Presiding Judge.

Junior Defense Attorney
(909) 323-9861 — [email protected]
Judith Mason
Judicial Branch
ECRP Forum Name: Judge Judy

SAJB Awards

Re: #23-CM-0045, State of San Andreas v. Jemma Smith

Post by Judith Mason »

NOTICE OF ACTIVATION

#23-CM-0045

A Notice of Activation was entered in the above case on the 7th day of April, 2023.

The case of the State of San Andreas v. Jemma Smith is hereby activated by this Court under #23-CM-0045.

As a plea agreement has been offered to and accepted by the defendant, this notice will be immediately followed by the full details of the agreement and a corresponding verdict in accordance with the charges the defendant has agreed to plead guilty to.

Associate Justice
(909) 257-9183 — [email protected]
Judith Mason
Judicial Branch

SAJB Awards

Post by Judith Mason »

Document 1 | Filed 03/04/2023 | Page 1 of 1

IN THE SUPERIOR COURT
FOR THE STATE OF SAN ANDREAS

• Docket Number:
    #23-CM-0045
    Date Filed:
    28/03/2023
    Violations:
    VF02 - Felony Hit and Run
    State of San Andreas

v.

Jemma Smith

PLEA AGREEMENT

• Pursuant to the case of State of San Andreas v. Jemma Smith; Attorney General Roderick Marchisio, Public Defense Attorney Ruwin Korbel, and the defendant, Jemma Smith, have entered into agreement, the terms of which are as follows;
    1. Current Charges
      1. VM03 - Reckless Operation of a Road or Marine Vehicle
      2. VM07 - Hit and Run
    2. Former Charges
      The state shall pursue the current charges listed above, in place of the original charges listed below:
      1. VF02 - Felony Hit and Run
    3. General Provisions
      • The defendant agrees to plead guilty to the Current Charges outlined in Section I. The State waives the right to pursue the Former Charges outlined in Section II in regards to this particular incident. The defendant will not be required to pay court fees or associated appeal fees nor will they receive any monetary compensation from the state.
    4. Waiver of Rights
      • It is CRITICAL that you read this section of the plea agreement thoroughly. By signing this document, the defendant agrees to surrender certain rights, notably; the defendant may not further appeal charges agreed to within this plea bargain.

This agreement may not be terminated at the discretion of an defendant, the defendant's counsel, nor the prosecution; it may only be terminated by the presiding judge under strict guidelines set forth by the Supreme Court of San Andreas.

By signing this document, the defendant is pleading guilty to the charges outlined in Section I and these charges may not be challenged at a later date.
    Essay
    On the 28th March 2023, I, Jemma Smith decided to drive through an active construction site whilst delivering items to Heavyflow in a heavy goods vehicle. This quick decision to attempt to drive through a small gap between two rows of barriers resulted in a construction worker being hit by the truck, damage being caused to the companies’ heavy goods vehicle I was borrowing and ultimately an arrest and jailtime which was resulted in a suspension pending internal investigations by my job as a DOC Correctional Officer III. Although no one was seriously injured, a number of worse outcomes could have resulted from this incident. Someone could have been seriously injured or even killed by the truck or as an aftermath of the anger felt by the roadworkers. Reflecting back, I should have considered my responsibilities as a road user much more carefully. I should have found an alternative route to my destination, which did not take me through the construction site. Even after I made the decision to drive through the construction site, although not breaking the speed limit, I should have been driving at a much slower speed to enable me to accurately risk assess as I was moving my vehicle through the area to avoid any collisions with barriers or indeed, people. In order to avoid a situation like this happening in the future, I will ensure I refresh my knowledge of the highway code, continue to ensure my cruise control is set to below the speed limit, being extra cautious when driving a heavy goods vehicle knowing they are much more difficult to slow and bring to a stop. I will also ensure that when coming up to a highly populated area, whether this is members of the public or road workers, I am completing a full scan and check of the area to ascertain the safest route which does not interfere with activities or work, whilst meeting the rules of the road. I will remember this incident for the rest of my life and it will make me a safer road user, I am sure of that. I will be taking this life lesson as one that happened to make me a better person. One who is going to continue to work her absolute hardest at DOC to make a difference to people’s lives. I thank you for the opportunity for this plea deal and I will not disappoint you.
    Roderick Marchisio
    Attorney General Roderick Marchisio
    Date Signed: 04/APR/2023

Public Defense Attorney Ruwin Korbel
    Date Signed: 03/04/2023

Jemma Smith
    Date Signed: 03/04/2023

Judy Mason
    Honorable Judith Mason
    Date Signed: 07/APR/2023

Judith Mason
Judicial Branch

SAJB Awards

Post by Judith Mason »

ISSUANCE OF VERDICT

#23-CM-0045

A decision was reached in the above case on the 7th day of April, 2023.

A plea agreement between the defense and prosecution has been submitted and accepted by the court. As outlined in the full agreement, the defendant agrees to plead guilty to VM03 - Reckless Operation of a Road or Marine Vehicle and VM07 - Hit and Run in exchange for the prosecution's dropping of the VF02 - Felony Hit and Run charge.

It is with the above considerations that I issue the following verdict:
  • On the count of VM03 - Reckless Operation of a Road or Marine Vehicle, I find the defendant, Jemma Smith, guilty.
  • On the count of VM07 - Hit and Run, I find the defendant, Jemma Smith, guilty.

The defendant shall be compensated in the amount of $5,500 for the difference in fines paid and time served for the relevant charges - the defendant is directed to report to City Hall to receive this compensation.

Associate Justice
(909) 257-9183 — [email protected]

Return to “SAJB - Archived Criminal Cases”