Sheriff's Newsletter - February 2023

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Timothee Olsen
ECRP Forum Name: Icarus

LSSD Awards

Sheriff's Newsletter - February 2023

Post by Timothee Olsen »

Los Santos County Sheriff's Department

Monthly Newsletter
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"

Sheriff Bobby Kirk

MESSAGE FROM THE SHERIFF

Sheriff Bobby Kirk
    As we move into the month of March, I wanted to take a moment to express how proud I am of the hard work and dedication of our employees. Their efforts throughout February have led to remarkable achievements, as reflected in our department's recent statistics - despite this being the shortest month of the year. I am grateful for their unwavering commitment to serving our community.

I want to take this opportunity to alert everyone to the increased incidents of street racing in our county. We have noticed a significant rise in such cases, and it is essential that pedestrians and motorists remain vigilant while on the roads. These reckless street racers have shown no regard for human life, and we must all do our part in ensuring the safety of our community.

Lastly, I want to remind everyone that we are frequently hiring new Deputy Sheriff Trainees, if you've ever had any interest, we encourage you to keep an eye out on our website to read about our application status! Additionally, our Ride-Along Program is an excellent opportunity to learn more about our department and the work we do. If you are interested in joining our team and serving our community, please visit our public website (https://joinlssd.net) for more information on the application and/or ride-along process.

There are no planned changes in our department for March. Our focus remains the same, and we will continue to serve our community with the utmost professionalism and dedication. As always, the safety and well-being of our community remain our top priorities, and we are committed to serving with integrity and excellence. Thank you for your continued support.

Sheriff Bobby Kirk

DEPUTY OF THE MONTH

Master Deputy Jett Jones

Master Deputy Jones graduated from his academy on June 12, 2021, and has been a valuable asset to the Sheriff's Department since he joined. Deputy Jones currently is serving with the Special Enforcement Detail and has become a beacon for new members of SED to aspire to become. Jones has particularly shone this month and has maintained his courtesy, professionalism, and respect for the rather difficult citizens of the county. As an acknowledgment of his service and dedication, he has been awarded Deputy of the Month, should you see him while he's clocked in, make sure to give him a big congratulations.

Jones would like to specially dedicate his award to his shift supervisors and SED.

DIVISION SPOTLIGHT

• The Sheriff's K9 Division lies under Patrol Operations, overseen by Assistant Sheriff S. Hamilton and Commander T. Balakay, with the Commanding Officer of the K9 Division being Captain V. McJohnson.

The Sheriff's K9 Division consists of ten expertly specialized certified canine handlers and their K9s, including three trainee duos. Some of their duties may include detection, either training or when the situation warrants it, searching for missing community members, and pre-planned events and operations.

The handlers and the K9s are held under high standards and are always expected to remain alert and ready to respond. It is necessary to practice and regularly train the K9 in their specialization to ensure they are always at the top of the game and to spend time together and strengthen the bond between the duo to build trust and uphold the standards set by the Sheriff's Department.

During the probationary training, all handlers undergo a K9 first aid session. This is to ensure the safety of the K9 when in the field and ensure that their health is regularly monitored. In the kennel at Paleto Station, each K9 has its resting area, access to food and water, and a bathing and grooming area, including a place for their handlers to keep the tools and necessary equipment.

Tips for the public;
    When you see a K9 in active service, do not interact with them. The K9s are performing necessary investigations and duties that the Deputies oversee, and a simple interaction could easily set the duo out of focus.

If you have questions regarding the Sheriff's K9 Division, contact an inactive K9 unit in the field or go to Paleto Station.

-

DEPUTY SPOTLIGHT

This month, we're spotlighting Deputy Jamie Snow, we can expect great things from him. Deputy Snow also works at The Los Santos Emergency Medical Services as an EMT-Intermediate and we are thankful for his medical knowledge out in the field.
    Deputy Sheriff I Jamie Snow wrote: When did you join the Los Santos County Sheriff's Department?
    I joined the department as an Academy Student on the 21st of January, 2023.

What is your favorite thing about being a deputy at the LSSD?
    I'd say that the most favourable part of being a deputy in this department is the social interactions. Working with colleagues and helping the community provides a fulfilling and enjoyable experience. I have the opportunity to make new memories and do what I love at the same time.

Why did you become a deputy for the LSSD?
    The main reason for my decision to become a deputy is the opportunity for learning that it presents. I was aware that being a part of the LSSD would offer a great chance to improve my skill set. The responsibility of protecting and serving the entire county was what motivated me to join the department, and I knew it was where I belonged.

What is the greatest feeling about being a deputy?
    The best feeling about doing my everyday duties as a deputy is the thought of being able to help others that are in need while working beside people you get to know well and enjoy being with.

Where do you see yourself in the LSSD two months from now?
    Within 2 months, I hope to see myself being a Deputy Sheriff II, training others to be the best deputy possible by joining the Field Training Division, and hopefully even the Special Enforcement Division where I would get to gain more experience to help others.

What do you like doing outside of work?
    I currently work 2 jobs, so when I'm not enjoying my vehicles or going to any events, I'm usually working at LSEMS where I can also help others but in a medical sense. Both jobs are incredibly rewarding and it's what I have always been striving to do. Helping people.
    -

PROMOTIONS

• Image Investigator I ► Image Investigator I (SiT)
    • Gustavo Waltz
    Image Deputy Sheriff III ► Image Master Deputy
    • Aaron Marks
    • Dave Spencer
    • Marco Rivera
    • Hugo Hernandez
    Image Deputy Sheriff II ► Image Deputy Sheriff III
    • Scott Andrews
    • Ben Blowman
    • Jordan Smoke
    Image Deputy Sheriff I ► Image Deputy Sheriff II
    • Steve Kiriakis
    • Cole Richardsun
    • Obelix Monopoly
    • Brian Bentley
    • Scott Ennis
    • Gary Sanderson
    Image Deputy Sheriff Trainee ►Image Deputy Sheriff I
    • George Fern
    • Gustavo Martinez
    • Jamie Snow
    • Violet Wilson
    • Heath Tegans
    • Jamie Monopoly
    • Negan Lancaster
    • Tj Sanders

-

MONTHLY STATISTICS
QUESTION OF THE MONTH
  • Which has been more valuable in your career, education, or experience and why?
Deputy Sheriff II Leonardo Harris wrote: In my career at the Los Santos Sheriff's Department, the experience has proven more valuable to me than education. Although both are very important to be able to conduct our duties as Deputy Sheriffs around the state, having experience always proved to be a greater learning curve for me. The education part of this job is great at allowing us to have a baseline in wondering how we do things for the first time and why we do them, it assists us in understanding the laws and policies that govern us. Now experience is a very important thing to me when learning something new, if you don't continue to go do hands-on work at something you care about you will never get better at it. I attempt to pick up any new task wherever I can so I am able to make my own experience out of it. As I do that I am able to get better at that task over time through hard work and discipline accompanied by my team's feedback. I have been in the Detention and Parole Bureau for a lot of my Sheriff's Department career and while we have set procedures and policies to guide us, I find that creating your own comfortable way to do your job through those procedures and policies allows you to learn more from it by doing it in your own way.
Captain Charlie Wilkinson wrote: I believe that education and experience are both very important in a Law Enforcement career, both are needed to do a good job as a Law Enforcement Officer. Experience is very, very important and lays the foundation for the very important, split-second decision we need to take on a day-to-day basis. That said, the experience needs to be built on education and correct knowledge of procedures and protocols first and foremost. Experience built on incorrect execution of procedures and things learned in the first is nothing short of dangerous.

-
CLOSING MESSAGE

• As always, I'd like to thank you for reading this month's newsletter, the Sheriff's Information Division is currently undergoing a massive overhaul and hopefully, you'll start to see more press releases in the coming weeks. I am rather excited to bring those changes to fruition. As a reminder, our recruitment is currently open, should you be interested in applying, you can do so here. Here's to a calm March!
CONTACT INFORMATION

Assistant Commanding Officer Timothee Olsen
    (909) 282-1222 — [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909

Return to “News Room”