[Press Release] Ribbon of Excellence Award : Louise Hoffman

Section for News Releases and Community Outreach.
Martin Haswell
Master Deputy
ECRP Forum Name: Homast

LSSD Awards

SAJB Awards

[Press Release] Ribbon of Excellence Award : Louise Hoffman

Post by Martin Haswell »

WWW.LSSD.SAGOV.US
Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
News Release
January 27, 2023
"A TRADITION OF SERVICE"
Sheriff Bobby Kirk

• Ribbon of Excellence Award: Louise Hoffman
    -
  • Fellow citizens of the county. Today I have the pleasure of congratulating Deputy Sheriff III Louise Hoffman for receiving the Ribbon of Excellence which is only handed out to the best of the best for their outstanding performance in the field. Deputy Hoffman was given this award for her attention to detail, accuracy and content of her arrest report made on a suspect. The arrest report mentioned was used in the court case as the suspect pleaded not guilty and ultimately the evidence that was contained and produced in Deputy Hoffman's report was crucial to bringing them to justice.

Deputy Hoffman first joined the Sheriff's Department on 14th November 2021 and has been a loyal, trusted and reliable deputy for a total of seven months now and has been thoroughly impressing the department with her work. I had the pleasure of asking some interview questions to Deputy Hoffman about her time in the Sheriff's Department and a couple of questions more relevant to the case:

Deputy Louise Hoffman
    What inspired you to join the Sheriff's Department?
    What inspired me the most to join the Sheriff's Department was the ideology of cleaning up the streets of criminal activity and leading by example. If the location wasn’t enough to sway me to join, being a big fan of Mount Chiliad and all the forest has to offer, the ability to protect and serve my country pushed me to apply.

What has your experience in the Sheriff's Department been like so far?
    My experience within the department has been an extremely positive one. The job can be a difficult one; it can be stressful. But it can also be very rewarding. Though, in all honesty, I don’t think I would have made it so far Department if it weren’t for the people I interact with every day. I have met some of my closest friends there, I have also been trained by some of the nicest people. I think we are all lucky to be working with some amazing co-workers.

How do you feel after receiving the ribbon of excellence?
    Receiving the Ribbon for Excellence makes me feel recognized and extremely proud of my work. It’s motivating to know that the parts of the job that don’t feel important are showcased in a bright light, and I hope it will give more of our deputies incentive to be as thorough in their paperwork as in the field.

In your own words, what makes a good report?
    A good arrest report needs detail. You need time and location. You need the exact events written out in full. You need the evidence and how you acquired the evidence. And I personally like to end my arrest reports with the charges and why I chose them, highlighting the parts in the arrest report that can back the charge.

How do you feel knowing that your work had a significant impact on the court case?
    I was extremely proud of my work and the outcome it provided for the court case. It was a feeling of relief and recognition. I knew it was a difficult case at the time of writing up the arrest report, and I knew I had to be thorough and concise with it. It just goes to show how important it is to take care to document all the evidence.

Do you have any future ambitions within the Sheriff's Department?
    I have always had a clear view of where I am heading within the department. My short-term goal is to join the Supervisory team when available. I want to continue working with new members of our department to hopefully grow a reliable and solid workforce and continue to provide distinguishable paperwork with the hopes that it will inspire others to do the same. I have always believed in leading by example, and I hope my work will show that in the future.
    A statement from Legal Affairs

Captain Joe Olson
    Once the case was concluded, we reached out to one of the representatives of our recently formed Legal Affairs Division to ask for their feedback on the case itself and the impact the evidence contained in the arrest report had. Captain Joe Olson had this to say:
    Captain Joe Olson wrote:
    Deputy Louise Hoffman's excellent arrest report has allowed us, together with the prosecution, to score a vital hit against organized crime, ensuring that lawfully placed charges have zero chances of being dropped. The defense did its best to discredit all our evidence. However, the depth and the amount of detail the arrest report of Deputy Hoffman contained and the high-quality evidence collection and handling allowed justice to persevere again. Deputy Hoffman's arrest report is an exemplary piece of its kind. I highly recommend that all of our deputies study, analyze, and learn from that arrest report. Our job does not end when we place criminals behind bars. We are also responsible for ensuring that their charges will not be overturned.
    So I would encourage everyone to join me in congratulating Deputy Sheriff III Louise Hoffman for her outstanding performance. It shows her steadfast loyalty to her job and is a testament to her field experience. We hope that this scenario will be used as an example of what is expected from deputies when writing reports of any kind.
###
  • For Information, Contact:

Deputy Sheriff II Dave Spencer
    (909) 531-3461 [email protected]

Sheriff's Information Division
    Los Santos County Sheriff's Department
    Procopio Promenade 1, Paleto Bay
    Los Santos, SA, 909

Return to “News Room”