SAJB Awards

[San Andreas Judicial Branch] End of the Year Newsletter

Post by Robert Winejudge »

San Andreas Judicial Branch

End of the Year Newsletter
"EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER LAW"

Message from the Chief Justice

• Chief Justice Colt Daniels
    The year 2022 has been monumental for the San Andreas Judicial Branch and the San Andreas State Government as a whole. At the start of the year the future was uncertain, we didn't know who our next Chief Justice would be since the September 2021 resignation of Chief Justice James Mayfeld, our Court System wasn't working the way it was intended, and the attorneys within the branch couldn't see a future for themselves here due to the lack of leadership forcing them to look elsewhere for a stable career.

In late January this all changed, as you will see throughout this Press Release, the Judicial Branch is unrecognizable from when the year started. When Associate Justice Judith Mason and myself took lead of the branch we put in the long hours to make the necessary changes needed and turned the San Andreas Judicial Branch and our Court System into what it is today. I will always give credit where credit is due, I wouldn't have been possible without the hard work and dedication of our attorneys, the ones who day in and day out, put their head down and got the work done.

As we move into 2023, we will continue to make necessary changes to ensure that justice is upheld within our state and nothing stands in our way in our endless pursuit of justice. We will continue to grow the branch and find new citizens who want to challenge themselves by pursuing a career in the legal profession. We will continue to push new boundaries to ensure everyone who lives in our state has a prosperous life. And we will continue to make tough decisions for the betterment of the community, even if those decisions don't make us friends along the way.

I thank you all for sticking with us and believing in our court system as we make it through 2022, and I promise you as we begin 2023 that the best is yet to come.
The Month of January

Toward the end of January 2022, on the 27th, Colt Daniels was appointed to be the Chief Justice of the Judicial Branch, marking one of the most important days for the branch in the year 2022.

Shortly after, the first trial in the State of San Andreas was held in the courthouse. In the case, Kopi Crozen v. Los Santos Police Department, the defendant was found not guilty of eight separate criminal charges. After the verdict was given, about an hour later, Judith Mason was made Associate Justice, and to this day continues to better and help the branch every day.
Three Court System

The Introduction of the Three Court System on the 12th of March was undoubtedly one of the major changes to the branch this year. These three systems are the Superior Court, the Supreme Court, and the Court of Appeals. When someone submits a case to the branch, it will be brought to the Superior Court, also referred to as the ''Trial Court''. It is where all criminal trials are heard.

If, after a verdict of a case, the defense deems it necessary, they can submit an appeal for the case, which is when the case will be taken to the Court of Appeals, where a different judge will preside over the case, and where the appeal will be heard.

If the Court of Appeals renders a decision that the defense still feels is incorrect and should be overturned, they can petition the Supreme Court of San Andreas. The Supreme Court is the court with the highest authority within the State. Decisions made by the Supreme Court are binding to all lower courts, and cases brought to it have a chance for their previous ruling made in the Court of Appeals to be overturned.

If you wish to read the entire transcript of the Speech given by Chief Justice Daniels, you can read it here.
Prosecution and the Defense
    With a new Chief and Associate Justice, it was important to appoint a person in each division as a command member, so they may lead and show an example to their colleagues, and assist them in any way they can, should they require it. On the 17th of April 2022, Hugh R. Allgood was chosen to lead the Prosecution as the newest Attorney General. To this day he holds this position and has done a fantastic job of leading the prosecution, and we are eager to see where his career takes him in this upcoming new year.

A couple of weeks later, on the 6th of May, 2022, the now retired Dakota Macaw was made Executive Defense Attorney, the position which now we know as Chief Public Defender. He was a vital part of our branch and an overall very effective member of our staff. After his retirement, our very own Cyrus Raven was made Chief Public Defender and entrusted to run the day-to-day operations of the defense division, where he has done an outstanding job so far.
Miranda Rights and Indictments

On the 17th of May, 2022, the Prosecution Division was granted an extra responsibility. From that day forward, the division would be able to work alongside law enforcement agencies and actively prosecute those in violation of the penal code of the state of San Andreas through cases initiated by the prosecution, so that the individual may have their day in court before being sentenced to prison.

Around a week later on the 25th, changes to Miranda Rights were made, these changes mainly focused on the person's right to an attorney, as well as informing them that anything they may say, will be used against them in the court of law.
Law Firms and Bar Licensing

The San Andreas Judicial Branch, along with the Bar Association, after some deliberation, on the 24th of July 2022, opened availability for individuals to be able to have a Bar License.

Having a Bar License means that you can practice law, offer legal advice, draft documents, and partake in other legal activities. However, licensed individuals that are not employed by the Judicial Branch of a recognized Law Firm are not able to represent clients in court or to draft any motions on the public docket.

The test contains 50 questions that test your knowledge of various critical procedures that are very important if you wish to become an attorney. These questions mostly ask you about courtroom etiquette/procedures, the penal code itself, and some other questions that test your knowledge of the law. There are numerous requirements to have such a license, if you are interested in obtaining one, please read his press release, and familiarise yourself with the process.

Later on in the month of September, on the 19th Law Firms that have been recognized by the Judicial Branch and licensed by the State Government, allowing them to begin representing clients in the court of law, be with you in police interrogations, and even visit you when you're in prison. It is worth noting, however, that you'll need to get in contact with your chosen law firm and work out payments with them, unlike the state-appointed Defense attorneys.

Moving to City Hall and the Constitution

At the end of September, we packed our bags and moved from our old courthouse on the corner of legion square, where we were located ever since the Branch was founded, and moved to the newly renovated City Hall, so that we may continue our day-to-day operations there, and work closely with the other government branches, ensuring smoother and more effective communication. Truth be told it was quite strange the first few weeks, finding the right rooms, locking all the doors, and having so many people in one building, but after a while, we got used to it, and now I cannot imagine us being back at the old Courthouse.

The Board of Governors and the Supreme Court Justices met on the 26th of November 2022 at the Old City Hall and signed into law the Constitution of the State of San Andreas, which marks one of the most important days in our City's history. If you wish to read into the constitution yourself, the State Government have it posted on their website here, so please take a look.
Closing Message

• Director Robert Winejudge
    Dear Citizens of San Andreas,

When I joined the branch in June 2022, I never could have imagined all the changes that would be made. A constitution to me at that time seemed unbelievable, yet here we are. I once again, feel like I am in June since I cannot imagine how many more amazing things will be introduced and how many changes will be made. Thank you for reading our newsletter, if you have any questions or other inquiries, as always, I'm happy to provide you with answers. You may submit one here. I'd like to wish you all a happy new year, and I hope I get to wish you another one next year as well.

Stay safe and stay healthy!

Director of Public Relations
    (909) 372-4223 — [email protected]

Public Relations Division
    Rockford Hills City Hall, Carcer Way,
    Metro Los Santos, SA

Return to “SAJB - Public Releases”