• Full Name: Herrman Wolff
    Phone Number: 298-4429
    E-Mail Address: [email protected]
    Position in Agency: Assistant Content Manager
2. REQUEST INFORMATION
  • Detailed information of your request:
    • Dear Sir/Madam,

I hope you are well.
      I am writing for information surrounding the LSPD's enforcement of the demerit system. I believe the current guidelines are not public and there is little to no visibility on the decisioning process that is used by officers. It appears that currently, if an officer in the VT Division, can give you a demerit then they are forced to do so but there seems to be no indication why this is procedure.

In officers from other divisions, it appears that the issuing of demerits seems to be entirely based on judgement, of which it appears there is no common guidelines, with officers having been seen issuing demerits for all levels of speeding. It would be good to also get the LSPDs view on how this sort of laissez-faire policing could be remotely equal and managed?
Isabella Cavallera
Police Detective I
ECRP Forum Name:

LSPD Awards for Service

Re: Request for Information [Weazel News]

Post by Isabella Cavallera »

lspdlogo
Los Santos Police Department
Administrative Services Bureau
"TO PROTECT AND TO SERVE"

• Dear Herrman Wolff,

In the penal code section for each citation, under the description of the citation, there is a box indicating the fine as well as any license suspensions accompanying it. For any citation where this box says "3rd demerit | 1 day", an officer can choose to issue a demerit. For example, under VC01 - Speeding 1st degree, the box says "Intact", so a demerit cannot be issued for this citation, but under VC02 - Speeding 2nd Degree, the box says "3rd demerit | 1 day", so a demerit can be issued with this citation.

Our procedure is to enforce the penal code. However, we allow officers to apply discretion and not issue citations if they want to go easy on the driver based on factors such as no prior offenses. Thus, it is common practice that demerits are given when multiple citations are issued, or if the infringement was particularly negligent. However, if the penal code allows for demerits, the officer is always in their right to issue one. Obviously, if an officer issues a demerit for a citation where the penal code does not allow it, this is a breach of protocol and should be reported.

I hope to have answered your questions. You may reach out again, otherwise I will archive this in about a week.

Sincerely,

Belle Cavallera
    Officer-in-Charge, Media Relations Unit
    Los Santos Police Department
Image POLICE DETECTIVE I Isabella Havana Cavallera
Vice Detective, Major Crimes Division
Los Santos Police Department — "To Protect and to Serve"

Isabella Cavallera
Police Detective I
ECRP Forum Name:

LSPD Awards for Service

Re: Request for Information [Weazel News]