ECRP Forum Name:

[San Andreas Judicial Branch] November Newsletter

Post by Judicial Branch Public Relations »

San Andreas Judicial Branch

Monthly Newsletter
"EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER LAW"

Message from the Chief Justice

• Chief Justice Colt Daniels
    Citizens of San Andreas, I want to welcome you all back to the San Andreas Judicial Branch monthly newsletter. At the beginning of the year we began publishing them, however at the time it was only myself working on them and it was difficult to sustain as the branch continued to grow, my list of responsibilities piled up, and the work load of the Superior Court only increased. After only a couple of months the newsletter stopped and I was forced to focus my efforts elsewhere leaving our public relations and outreach almost nonexistent for a substantial period of time. Luckily at the end of September, one of the members of the Public Defense Division was appointed to be the Director of Public Relations, his name is Robert Winejudge. He has done a tremendous job so far as Director and I look forward to our relationship with the citizens of our great state only becoming better through his hard work.

Since taking office, one of my top priorities is to maintain transparency with the public. This is why the Judicial Branch hosted multiple press conferences, posted press releases regarding any changes, and given statements to Weazel whenever requested with as much information as we can share at that time. In furthering that goal, just last month we launched the Public Inquires section which allows members of the public, media, and other government agencies reach out to the branch for any needs they may have. The San Andreas Judicial Branch has always held that we believe transparency is the key to success.

We hope that you enjoy the resurgence of our monthly newsletter as it takes a lot of effort to put together but is crucial in our mission of ensuring the public is up to date with their court systems and justice department.
Judicial Spotlight

• Chief Defender Cyrus Raven
    My name is Cyrus Raven, I was born in Liberty City and moved to Los Santos at a young age. I attended the University of Los Santos for Criminal Law where I took a few courses in management and accounting. I briefly worked as a stunt car driver for a few small-time movies and while that did solidify my love for cars, it was short-lived as I pursued a career in Law Enforcement. I've had an extensive background in Law Enforcement from being an Operative for the Los Santos Sheriff's Department's Special Enforcement Detail to being a Detective with the Los Santos Police Department's Detective Bureau.

A lot of people ask me why I decided to be a Defense Attorney with the Judicial Branch after such a long time in Law Enforcement. My answer remains consistent, I believe in Justice. However, Justice is a two-way street, there needs to be solid evidence behind every arrest and I want to make sure that no one is being sent to prison for something they didn't do. A big misconception is that most people won't like an ex-cop as a lawyer, but the reception from all of my clients has been very positive so far, they like having someone that knows the ins and outs of Law Enforcement and the penal code representing them.

My time in JB has been very fulfilling, having joined at the end of June 2022, I have gone from a Junior Defense Attorney to Chief Public Defender, leading the Public Defense Division. The Branch has really focused on allowing its employees to shine through hard work and focuses less on people spending months in the same rank, if you're putting in the work consistently you will see results in your career. It's been very thought-provoking and intellectually challenging to defend so many different people in different situations and I look forward to continuing my work with the Judicial Branch.

If there's any advice I can give to anyone is to know your rights and use them!
Concluded Cases

Furthermore, if you wish to read some of our cases that are still active, click here!
Judicial Branch Promotions/Reinstatements
  • CivilianCourt Clerk
    • Hank Holt
    Senior Prosecuting AttorneyDeputy Attorney General
    • Roderick Marchisio
    CivilianProsecuting Attorney
    • Tony McFornell
    Junior Defense AttorneyPublic Defense Attorney
    • Shaun Harper
    CivilianLaw Student
    • Fiora Yamada
    • Marty Millionaire
Story of the Month
  • For a while now, the branch has been struggling with a backlog of cases, leading to those cases taking a longer time than we had intended. We have introduced some new changes to our Superior Court system in hopes of reducing that time, without compromising the effort and care these cases receive.
    Some of these changes include :

Discovery Phase: All evidence must be submitted within 7 days after the issuance for Order for Discovery is made. Once the 7 days pass, the defense will be given 72 hours to file any responses to the provided discovery, extra time may be granted, should a Motion for Continuance should be submitted and approved.

Motions Hearings: We will be removing all Discovery and Motions hearings for the foreseeable future. these pre-trial procedures will be held on the government website from now on, instead of in person. The ability to schedule for a hearing will now be handled at the discretion of the presiding judge.

Motion to Amend Charges: Limits are additionally being placed upon the Motion to Amend Charges.  From now on, we will only grant Motions to Amend Charges for violations of evidence handling, court-related charges, and other felonies. Tampering with Evidence, Obstruction of Justice, Contempt of Court, Perjury, and other charges may be appropriate. Motions to Amend Charges that include any misdemeanor charges will be denied. This change will not affect prosecution-initiated cases, but will be implemented once a case has been activated.
Closing Message

• Director Robert Winejudge
    Dear Citizens of San Andreas, with the month of November now behind us, ahead of us is the festive month of December, where I'm sure many events will be held celebrating Christmas/New Year's eve. It is important that with snow hitting our beautiful state, we all watch out on these slippery roads, drive safely and conduct ourselves in an appropriate manner, resisting the urge to throw a snowball at everything we encounter, however tempting it may be. I also wanted to thank you all for reading our newsletter, if you have any questions, you'd like to ask me or anyone in the Judicial Branch, feel free to submit a Public Inquiry here.

Stay safe and stay warm!

Director of Public Relations
    (909) 372-4223 — [email protected]

Public Relations Division
    Rockford Hills City Hall, Carcer Way,
    Metro Los Santos, SA

Return to “SAJB - Public Releases”