LSEMS Press Release | May 2020

Jason Su
ECRP Forum Name:

LSEMS Awards

LSEMS Press Release | May 2020

Post by Jason Su »

The Los Santos Emergency Medical Services or LSEMS is currently stationed at the Central Los Santos Medical Centre where it is bordered by Capital Boulevard, Crusade Road, Davis Avenue and Innocence Boulevard in the east of Strawberry, Los Santos.

The Los Santos Emergency Medical Services provides immediate care and treatment for the citizens of the State of San Andreas.
Welcome to the May 2020 edition of the Los Santos EMS press release! Within this release you will find articles about our recent employee of the month, along with other articles about the new changes and hot topics within the LSEMS.
The Employee of the month award is an honour we, at LSEMS, bestow upon a colleague who has shown exemplary devotion to duty. Their efforts stand as a representation of how we can all strive to better ourselves and our communities through hard-work, dilligence, and self-sacrifice.
Suken Fredric beginning his day anew out front of Central M.D.

The staff of LSEMS would like to formally congratulate Mr. Suken Fredric for being May 2020's Employee of the Month award recipient. Mr. Fredric began his service as an EMR just a short month ago and has quickly become a valued member of our team. Suken Fredric is an active member of our Critical Response unit here at LSEMS. He is also a Lifeguard Coach, a Junior Forensic Operative and has recently been promoted to a fully fledged Firefighter. On the rare occasion Mr. Fredric isn't found in the field he can be found at Central serving as part of our Human Resources and Auditing Departments.

Suken's incredible driving capabilities have made him an invaluable asset to our team and the citizens of Los Santos. With a clean driving record Suken manages to effortlessly handle a high volume of responses ensuring that the people of Los Santos get the treatment they need in an aptly manner.
Jake Hellerman (left), Suken Fredric (center) and Arabella Kirk (right) are code-6 in response to a small residential fire.

Looking Back:
When asked what his most memorable achievements were during his service, Suken replied that it has been his time spent within the Los Santos Fire Department. "It has been an incredible privilege to be trained by some of the best response members our team has to offer. Working in tandem with them has helped me grow my skillsets tenfold and I'm excited to have the opportunity to pay that forward to our younger recruits."

What's ahead?:
Suken is an incredibly active member of staff here at LSEMS. There aren't too many things our employee of the month doesn't have his hands in. But when asked what his plans for the future were, there seemed to be no hesitation in his response. "Psychology." he stated simply.
"I'm currently looking to expand my role with our Critical Response Unit and hope to one day become a Psychologist."
"During my time in EMS I've treated an awful lot of calls and I find about a third of them could've been prevented." he recalled. "The mental health of patients isn't something that can be easily diagnosed. Certainly not in the few moments I get with them during a pre-hospital treatment before transport. With the right type of training I'm hoping to minimize some of the familiar faces I find in the back of my ambulance."

Words From the Wise:
After being recognized for his exceptional service this month we decided to ask Mr. Fredric what advice he would give to any of the newer recruits looking to follow in his footsteps. The ever-modest Suken was elusive in responding at first but eventually gave way with a brief piece of advice. "Apply yourself. The more you engage with your work the better you will become at it. Practice will always make perfect."
Audrey Hartwell - "I haven't had the opportunity to know Mr. Fredric well, but he has certainly become a well-known name here at LSEMS. He is known as an incredibly positive employee who shows extreme dedication to calls and his responsibilities. "

Jaxon David - "An absolutely phenomenal employee. Extremely hard-working and professional and I'm incredibly proud to have him as an integral part of our Fire Battalion."

Arabella Kirk - "The absolute best. There's nobody else I'd rather have as a partner than my friend Suken. Whether the perils are high tides or high temperatures he's always the one I want beside me."
Our Fire Chief, Clay Thompson has contributed much to the Los Santos Emergency Medical Services and we would not be where we are today without the help of our very own Thompson. Thompson began as a trainee, like everyone else in the department, and slowly worked his way to the position of Commander of the Fire Department. With the new Fire Stations that were recently commissioned, Fire Chief Thompson was the commander of a division that provided many services to LSEMS as well as the citizens of Los Santos.

We are very sad to see him go, but at the same time, we are excited for anyone who he encounters in the future because we know that they will be very lucky to have met him. He is hard-working and once he finds something that he enjoys, he dedicates himself fully to it. Determined to accomplish his goals and overall a nice person, Clay Thompson will forever be one of the best commanders that LSEMS could ever ask for!

Image Image
The person who will be stepping in as Commander of the Fire Department will be the one and only, Jaxon David! Mr. David has
long been a large part of the Fire Department, as he was the Head of Fire Rescue up until this point. He dedicates himself to encouraging new trainees and EMT's to take a look at the fire rescue job listing, throwing a little humor into the mix to assist with recruiting. Many EMT's would say when asked that Jaxon is a perfect fit for the role of Fire Chief. With his devotion to the Fire Rescue division as well as the Fire Safety Inspection and Air & Rescue divisions, Mr. David knows the ins and outs of each division within the Fire Department and will easily be able to assess the department as a whole during his job as the Director of the Fire Department.

Overall, Mr. David is a good fit for the position and the employees at the LSEMS expect great things from the new Fire Chief!
The Basic Life Support division within the LSEMS provides classes on CPR and first-aid within the Central Medical Building. Certain life skills are taught in these BLS classes that will carry on with an individual for the rest of their lives. Topics such as: using CPR, and treating common injuries on the field are taught in these classes. Currently, BLS classes are held every week during the weekends with some classes being held during the week as instructors become available.
Due to the previous head of BLS stepping down as head of the division, a new head has been appointed in his place. Before the new head of announced, we would like to thank the previous had of the division, Matthew Burns, for everything that he has done for the division. Managing an entire division requires large amounts of work and dedication in order to keep the division functioning within the LSEMS. Burns has been the person to do this for a period of time, and he was very good at it as well. We'd like to thank him for his contributions and have him know that they will not be forgotten!
Chelsea Southern is the new head of Basic Life Support! She will be overseeing its operations and have the ability to make changes within the division if she chooses to do so. She is a hardworking individual and very deserving of the role as the head of Basic Life Support. Ms. Southern believes that the division as it is currently is in a good place and that not much within it needs to be changed; however, she plans to add more ideas to the division so that it may expand the services that are offered and further assist in the operations of the LSEMS.

We reached out to Chelsea regarding what her plans for the division were, she replied, "As a whole, I believe the BLS division as is operates in a fairly effective manner, but I believe there are changes that can be made that will make things even better. As you know, we've seen a large population boom in the city lately. Due to this, I believe it would be beneficial to host regular week night classes in conjunction with the weekend classes already being hosted to maximize the number of citizens that are able to attend.
I'd also like to work with LSPD and LSSD to organize private training sessions for their incoming cadets, ideally on academy days. I'm interested in developing an ALS (advanced life support) class for SWAT to teach them combat medic tactics that they can utilize in active shooter situations. That, however, is a distant future goal."

Basic Life Support courses are essential to learning skills that can preserve life until EMT's are able to arrive on the scene. Ms. Southern also notes that, "Recent polling data shows that nearly 88% of cardiac arrests that happen outside of a hospital happen at home (that equates to 4 out of 5). Studies show that nearly 45% of cardiac arrest victims survived when a bystander performed CPR. Civilians can and should learn BLS skills because providing CPR to someone immediately after they experience sudden cardiac arrest can double or triple a victims chance of survival. Brain death starts to occur within four to six minutes after cardiac arrest if no one administers CPR or defibrillation with an AED. These are all skills that we teach in BLS class. The simple answer is that civilians should take BLS courses because learning these skills saves lives."

Overall, we are sure that Ms. Southern will be a great head of the division and bring BLS to new heights!

The Land Act Dam located just outside city limits in the Los Santos River

Recently our Lifeguard unit was asked to attend a Los Santos Police Department team building exercise at our local Land Act Dam in the Los Santos River. The exercise began, firstly, with a backward roll relay across the entire span of the Dam's topside walkway. Following the hilarious looking dash, the participants would then have to tag their teammate, awaiting them on a nearby jetty, who would then breaststroke around the large bend of bluffs to an adjacent beach. After clambering out of the heavy wet sand, exhausted from the swim, the participants had to run up a long incline up to a nearby road where their final partner laid in wait. After the final participants were tagged, they were finally streaking to the finish lines on their bicycles.

Lifeguard, Arabella Kirk briefing our friends, at LSPD, on water safety and the proper protocol to follow in the event of an injury.

Upon initially arriving at the site of the event, the crowd gathered for a brief reminder on how to remain safe while participating in the triathalon. Lifeguard Arabella Kirk was asked to lead the brief training seminar to remind our colleagues on the do's and don'ts in water safety and rescue protocol. Following the brief training seminar Ms. Arabella Kirk and Mr. Suken Fredric took to their skiff to begin patrolling the water for exhausted or injured swimmers while Mr. Jay Paige and Mr. Russ Staxx took up vantage points from the bluffs above.

Lifeguard Coach Suken Fredric (right) patrolling the event via skiff alongside his partner, Lifeguard Arabella Kirk (left).

At the end of the relay the winning team was announced and the festivities were concluded. Lifeguard Coaches Jay Paige and Suken Fredric had a final surprise for their friend and co-worker Arabella Kirk. For her outstanding dedication to their unit, and effortlessly conducting a water safety seminar of a large scale, it was apparent Ms. Kirk was deserving of a promotion to Lifeguard Coach alongside her friends.

Before dispersing, our friends at LSPD graciously thanked us for lending a hand in their event and were kind enough to extend an invitation to join them at a private party over at Club Insignia where shots reportedly rang out the entirety of the night and well into the early morning.

There is always a need for further medical treatment in the city of Los Santos. Whether it may be a broken leg, or a more serious injury, the LSEMS EMT's are there to assist with the preliminary treatment. Once an EMT has finished patching up the injuries out on the field, patients are brought back to the hospital. This is where the newest division within the LSEMS comes in!

The Advanced Medical Division is comprised of highly trained surgeons who have an in-depth knowledge of advanced medical procedures and are able to participate in operations and surgeries requiring a high degree of technical knowledge. Members of the Advanced Medical Division are able to assist with surgeries if the patient is in dire need of one. ((Players can ask for a member of the AMD to perform surgery RP with them before getting dropped off)) [/jusitify]
This division is currently headed by Head Surgeon, Messiah Young, who has some promising ideas of where he would like to bring the division in the future, and what he thinks the division is all about and its place within the Los Santos Emergency Medical Services.

When asked about the duties of a member of his division, Young replied, "The Advanced Medical Division focuses on advanced medical treatments. We have EMTs who are well-trained for basic life support, but, there have been situations where a person has required more than basic life support. The members of the AMD are trained to handle emergencies that are beyond the point of basic life support. They are expected to be well-versed in surgical procedures, whether it be mainly on-field or electively conducted surgeries. The EMS provides the best life support to people that are injured on the field. There have been cases, patients who have required more than just basic life support and our well-trained EMTs have done their best to assist them, on the field, or to the ER. This division gives those EMTs a stage, a direction to learn more about advanced treatments such as surgery. It gives other people peace of mind that they are in good care, knowing what goes in the ER. Whether it be on-field surgeries to patch someone up, or whether it be someone checking in for elective surgery for a condition/emergency they've had."

When further questioned about what his plans are for the division, he said, "We aim to have people who are ready to respond to any emergencies that require an in-depth assessment and treatments to follow. I believe that will be beneficial to everyone, including everyone in the LSEMS who'd like to learn and perform such procedures, and to other people who'd need them done. We're going to be readily available for everyone, whenever required. In the future as we and the LSEMS grow, we plan to offer specializations in different fields of surgery to staff that has their interest in them. Such as nurses, anesthesiologists, cardiologists, and so on. Each patient that would be brought in or check-in, they'd then be referred to the staff with the specialization pertaining to their treatment/emergency."

All in all, the staff at the LSEMS believe that the formation of the Advanced Medical Division will be a great way for patients to receive extra advanced medical care from our very own surgeons, and we hope that the division is able to accomplish its goals and much more down the line!
Thank you so much for reading the April Press Release written by the communications division! If you have any questions or inquires, please do not hesitate to contact the head of communications, or any of the contributors of this release. Thank you again, and have a great day!

Kind regards,

Virgil Beretta
[email protected]
EMT-Intermediate
Communications Representative
Los Santos Emergency Medical Services

Jason Su
[email protected]
Paramedic
Head of Communications
Los Santos Emergency Medical Services

Hon. Monica Ortiz