[PSA] Impound & You

The Newsroom contains all press releases of the Los Santos Police Department.
LSPD Media Relations
ECRP Forum Name:

[PSA] Impound & You

Post by LSPD Media Relations »

lspdlogo

WWW.LSPD.SAGOV.US
Los Santos Police Department
Public Service Announcement
Friday, April 23rd, 2021
"TO PROTECT AND SERVE"

Impound & You
-

• -
    -
    Personal vehicles play a vital role in getting us from one destination to another. The city, as busy as it can get gives little to no leniency to reckless drivers, illegal parking, and unroadworthy vehicles which have become common around the city. Through this release, you will learn about the impound process, wait times, and laws surrounding vehicle impounding.

The Los Santos Police Department's Impound Lot is located in Rancho. The Impound Lot can be utilized by employees of Bayview Auto Center, Los Santos Customs, Los Santos County Sherrif's Department as well as authorized employees of the Los Santos Police Department. The release of a vehicle at the Impound Lot is solely the Los Santos Police Department's responsibility. Employees that are authorized can release vehicles from the Impound Lot.
    -
  • -
    These are some of the following criteria that must be met before a vehicle is impounded:
    • A motor vehicle has been used in relation to a crime.
      • Vehicles that are stolen and then used in a crime still need to be impounded but only impounded for the reason of safekeeping. This will be free of charge for the vehicle owner.
    • A motor vehicle has 3+ outstanding parking tickets.
    • A motor vehicle is registered to a felon with active warrants.
    • A motor vehicle is parked in a No Parking Zone and the owner can't be reached.
    • Locations such as the medical emergency bay, police parking lots, and other locations that obstruct the work of a first responder justifies immediate impounding if the owner isn't by their motor vehicle and ready to move it.
Impound & You
  • Whether your vehicle is regularly or securely impounded, the impound lot is the place you would want to head to. Once you are there, you will need to use the buzzer which is located at the entrance of the impound lot, and request for a unit to help you out.

With that in mind, do not call 911, which is an emergency hotline - simply request a unit by using the buzzer. Dialing 911 for non-emergency purposes will not only affect the response times to emergency calls but to the impound as well, which will be met with criminal charges for misuse of emergency hotlines. The impound buzzer is dispatched exactly like 911 calls and you do not need to do anything else other than wait for an available officer to arrive.

Often, limited resources, call influxes or dangerous situations stall and/or slow down impound responses which may prolog wait times. We are always trying our best to accommodate everyone at the impound in a timely manner.

While waiting at the impound lot, or in any public space, you need to make sure you do not conceal your face as it is not only a public area but also a Los Santos Police Department facility. Failure to follow the said regulation may and will result in a face concealment citation which falls under GC06, further escalation of GC06 may result in a misdemeanor arrest. Once an officer arrives at the impound lot, you must be ready to identify yourself upon request need be.

Sometimes, there are already other people at the impound lot waiting to get their vehicle released. We kindly ask you to respect the queue and simply wait in the line until it is your turn.
    In order to make the process smoother during vehicle releases, it is recommended that you have the following items ready at hand while you wait for an officer.
    -
    Items to bring to the impound:
    • Government Issued ID
    • Valid Driver's/Trucker's License
    • Proof of Ownership
    • Sufficient Funds for the Payment Fee (if needed)
      • The impound fee is deducted from your bank balance.
FAQ
  • Frequently Asked Questions:
    -
    • Q: I don't have a valid driver's license but my friend will drive for me. Can the vehicle still be released?
      --A: No. In order for a vehicle to be released the registered owner must have a valid driver's license.
      -
    • Q: Can I get the vehicle first and pay the fee later?
      --A: No. You must pay all fees related to the impounding prior to the vehicle being released.
      -
    • Q: I have active citations on my record but they are not expired yet. Can the vehicle still be released?
      --A: No. You cannot have any active citations during the time of release. Ensure that you pay off all your citations at a police station prior to arriving as there is no way to do so at the impound.
      -
    • Q: Can I have a vehicle registered to a friend/family member released to me without their presence?
      --A: No. We are only able to release vehicles registered to you. In this case, the registered owner must be present and they must sign the release of the vehicle.
CONTACT INFORMATION
  • -
    Written By:
    Police Officer III Steve Martinez
    Media Relations Officer, Media Relations Division
    [email protected]
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    For Information, Contact:

Media Relations Division Public Inquiries
    Los Santos Police Department
    Sinner Street 69, Mission Row
    Los Santos, SA, 90013
mrdstamp
MEDIA RELATIONS DIVISION
Administrative Services Bureau
Los Santos Police Department — "To Protect and to Serve"

Account is not monitored. For information, consult the Public Affairs area.

Return to “Newsroom”